.300 Blackout bullets?

Rich Coyle

Normally I go to the long range optics, but since I purchased a .300 Blackout for sub-sonic coyote hunting I noticed this. Can someone who has done it recommend a bullet for up to 200 yards?

Normally I go to the long range optics, but since I purchased a .300 Blackout for sub-sonic coyote hunting I noticed this. Can someone who has done it recommend a bullet for up to 200 yards?

Heya Wildcater... I was thinking the same thing... but after shooting some subsonic Sig Elite Performance 220s, I'm not sure I would feel comfortable using them on coyotes out to 200 yards. Heck.. they dropped about 3.5 mils and hit with so little authority... that I think you'd be chasing mutts most of the time... instead of dragging them back!

I did a video that I just posted ... but I'll put it here for you so you can hear the little "twank" they make hitting steel out to 200 yards. It's kind of pathetic.

The supersonics on the other hand.... hit very hard at 200 yards... but ... they are "super" sonic.

Not sure how to get you what you are looking for. Perhaps Lehigh Defense has some bullets you could reload as I believe they have a frangible bullet for the .308 subs.

[ame]https://youtu.be/l8UEYhL-QAs[/ame]

I used a 220gr. Smk on deer and killed one doe at close to 240 yards and it killed fairly quick. It tumbled and made a fair size exit. I have a 10 twist and am having a hard time keeping bullets stabilized past 200 yards. I wouldn't shoot a deer at that range again with the set up I have until I can get a more stabile setup. Someday I'm going to try a 8twist barrel to see if I can can get bullets to stabilize farther out. My 10 twist will produce.5moa groups at 100 but around 200 yards things start opening up and bullets start key holing

I used a 220gr. Smk on deer and killed one doe at close to 240 yards and it killed fairly quick. It tumbled and made a fair size exit. I have a 10 twist and am having a hard time keeping bullets stabilized past 200 yards. I wouldn't shoot a deer at that range again with the set up I have until I can get a more stabile setup. Someday I'm going to try a 8twist barrel to see if I can can get bullets to stabilize farther out. My 10 twist will produce.5moa groups at 100 but around 200 yards things start opening up and bullets start key holing

Screech...

Thanks for the info buddy. Good to know. If I may ask.... do you know the velocity you're getting?

We designed a bullet just for the Blackout. It is not sub sonic, but we designed to for deer and pigs out to 300y. It is 101g and designed not to get into the powder column so you can max your powder capacity and keep your oal for feeding. The bullet produces 2500fps easily and opens reliably at 300y.

Steve

We designed a bullet just for the Blackout. It is not sub sonic, but we designed to for deer and pigs out to 300y. It is 101g and designed not to get into the powder column so you can max your powder capacity and keep your oal for feeding. The bullet produces 2500fps easily and opens reliably at 300y.

Steve

Holy smokes Steve... you guys are sure proud of that 110gr 300BO! Over $1.00 a bullet! Man they must perform for that or I'd throw myself on the train tracks! Gonna have to use up my Berger 168s and 215s and see what's what.

Do you guys sell any sample packs? Not sure I want to commit that kind of cash unless I know I'm going to use all 100.

Heya Wildcater... I was thinking the same thing... but after shooting some subsonic Sig Elite Performance 220s, I'm not sure I would feel comfortable using them on coyotes out to 200 yards. Heck.. they dropped about 3.5 mils and hit with so little authority... that I think you'd be chasing mutts most of the time... instead of dragging them back!

I did a video that I just posted ... but I'll put it here for you so you can hear the little "twank" they make hitting steel out to 200 yards. It's kind of pathetic.

The supersonics on the other hand.... hit very hard at 200 yards... but ... they are "super" sonic.

Not sure how to get you what you are looking for. Perhaps Lehigh Defense has some bullets you could reload as I believe they have a frangible bullet for the .308 subs.

Those 220's from the video looked like they had enough power to kill a coyote at 200 yards. That's a lot of mass behind that round so it should be able to dispatch a coyote. The accuracy was impressive, great shooting. And you weren't kidding about the super Sonic's they hit with some authority. I'm excited for deer season now. Thanks for the video.

To the OP. I am in the same boat with the subsonics. Not sure if I should use them for deer or not. I run a 1:8 twist barrel on my AR so I am not worried about stabilizing them.

Holy smokes Steve... you guys are sure proud of that 110gr 300BO! Over $1.00 a bullet! Man they must perform for that or I'd throw myself on the train tracks! Gonna have to use up my Berger 168s and 215s and see what's what.

Do you guys sell any sample packs? Not sure I want to commit that kind of cash unless I know I'm going to use all 100.

I went and looked at the price and I think I made a mistake when I set up the product on the site. I changed it to $90/100. Still not a cheap rapid fire cut trees down and shoot pop cans to pieces type of bullet. But it is a very high quality designated hunting bullet.

Thanks for making me look.

Steve

I bow hunt so compared to shooting an arrow the blackout subs are like a laser and suppressed they are even quieter than a bow. Very accurate but it is like lobbing artillery. I am using a FFP scope for fast reticle holds. My 220 grain subs at 1030fps drop about 40" at 200 yards using a 75 yard zero but are 1.5" groups.
Are there better rounds ? Certainly yes but the blackout works if you learn to use it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I posted this a while back on the 300 Blackout forum
Recovered Lehigh Defense 194 gr Max Expansion Subsonic; WOW! - 300BlkTalk

Round was 10.3 gr of H4198 Lehigh 194 grain Maximum Expansion 0.638bc at 1010fps out of the SPS 700(same round fires at 1130fps from the AR for some reason). Gun was just zeroed at 75 yards which is +1.7" at 50 and -3.9" at 100 yards, shot was at 80 yards uphill and broadside entering the left side low behind the shoulder and exiting(to the skin) mid height on the right shoulder. Wow. Deer ran 20 yards then rolled down the hill. I know why. So stoked to recover that bullet and it weighed in at 192.8 grains. The scale actually settled in at 192.9 gr after I took the photo. The ears that folded back like a banana are very tough, you would probably cut yourself if you tried to bend them forward. At $77 for 50 bullets they aren't for plinking but they seem to work for subsonic hunting and I am in a lead free hunting area.

For comparison to the pre-stressed or pre-fragmented bullets like the Lehigh here is a cut away of a Barnes 200 grain TSX that requires a much higher velocity to expand(these pencil thru at subsonic speeds.

Attachments

• 20141014_211606_zpsc8bae9c4.jpg
    20141014_211606_zpsc8bae9c4.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 116
  • 20141014_211606-1_zps1fe8c1ce.jpg
    20141014_211606-1_zps1fe8c1ce.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 20141014_222610-1_zpsdd1087b9.jpg
    20141014_222610-1_zpsdd1087b9.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 20141014_222750-1_zps8f73f205.jpg
    20141014_222750-1_zps8f73f205.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 1413418987498_zps470acb7f.jpg
    1413418987498_zps470acb7f.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20141015_180824_zpsb9290475.jpg
    20141015_180824_zpsb9290475.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 117
very nice.. I've yet to run subs in mine since my can is still at the mercy of the feds but can't wait to have it as the farm gun to dispatch critters quietly!

I went and looked at the price and I think I made a mistake when I set up the product on the site. I changed it to $90/100. Still not a cheap rapid fire cut trees down and shoot pop cans to pieces type of bullet. But it is a very high quality designated hunting bullet.

Thanks for making me look.

Steve

Yes these are pricey but like Steve said they are for one purpose hunting. I have shot all kinds of blk rounds down to 85gr round nose. I have one load of nosler 125 for cheap shooting and all my hunting rounds are cutting edge Raptors soon to be the hammers. When comes to hunting bullets how many do you really shoot and why not have the absolute best chance of taking game even if it cost you $.60 more. I've been slowly finding better bullets but even the raptors have a draw back. After talking with them they didn't seem to care the expansion floor was to high. So after talking to Steve he developed a bullet that fit into a much broader set of parameters. Shoots faster flatter and opens lower than any lead based bullet. So if you go by where your bullet hits minimum operating fps as you max distance the hammers extended your range quite a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts