30 NOSLER OR 300 PRC

That's an interesting question, right now Nosler has brass quality and is ahead in terms of aftermarket support, they both look like they'll run virtually the exact same. I do like for some actions the full diameter rim on the PRC which will pickup just a bit better from a mag and you don't have to have as much case up out of the feed lips. Very, very minor differences at this point but they interest me just in fine tuning a feed cycle out if some action.

I would lean towards the 30 PRC solely because I like the case design better. With the popularity of the 6.5PRC the 30 is going to take off like wildfire as well.

That being the case, there will be alternatives to Hornady Brass on the market sooner rather than later.

Performance wise there's not enough difference in them to matter.

Personally if I were building or buying another .30 caliber though I'd stick with either the .300wm or step right up to the .300 Rum. Let the other two sort the market out for five or ten years while shooting the gold standards and then see which of the two nebies on the block has the same kind of staying power as they rounds they are attempting to better or emulate.

Unlike the 6.5 PRC which is based off of the .30RCM case, the .30 PRC is just a .375 Ruger necked down to .30 caliber so standard actions will be able to utilize it with very little or no modifications.

The Nosler is based off of the .404 Jefferey case so actions not built for Rum's will require a fair bit of work to get them to cycle properly and for the case to fit through the feed rails.

Since Nosler beat them to the punch I suspect the .30 Nosler will be the eventual winner but with it being so much easier and less expensive to convert to the 30 PRC with a standard action I may be wrong.

My interest is in the PRC. I believe it's set up better for the long, high bc bullets. The Nosler is set up for col of 3.34 to fit a standard length action such as nosler rifles. The PRC is set up for col of 3.575-3.70 for a magnum length action. Both cartridges are 2.58-9 inches long.

In a custom gun that might not matter. But fact is the PRC was set up for long range and the Nosler wasn't

I sure like the sounds of the PRC. But where are they? Pretty tough find right now unless it's a custom build. I would think with hornady already making factory ammo, gun manufacturers should have them out soon? Any body have any leads on this?

If your gonna run factory ammo the PRC is probably set up better o l because Nosler screwed the pooch on there saami spec reamers. 30 Nosler with .200 -.225 freebore and 215 bergers are made for each other.

I have seen way to much inconsistency in hornady's precision ammo to be considered long range in my book. E.S of 100 F.P.S!!!

I have seen way to much inconsistency in hornady's precision ammo to be considered long range in my book. E.S of 100 F.P.S!!!
I see less than 20fps ES in the 178 match 308 stuff and it shoots into the same group and zero as FGMM which also has the same es and sd. Both are running 2704-2723 in my rifle. The 140 and 120 eld match was ES 27 and 21fps in the creedmoor in my savage. The customs built by the shop also had better 6.5 about the same 308 es. Maybe you had a bad lot of ammo. Regular ammo I couldn't tell you

Nope wasnt my ammo I only reload, it was a guy who had me help him figure out what was wrong thought it was a rifle problem turned out it was the ammo. 2 boxs of brand new ammo, 1 had 3 brass colored primers the rest chrome colored.
The other box had 6 brass colored primers the rest chrome. Wouldn't shoot better than 2" 100yd groups. He had been shooting the exact same ammo that shot great until he bought 2 new boxs. I was shocked when I cronographed it. My point is you never know when the factory changes something until it's to late and obviously they did but come on different primers in the same box and call it precision. Your far better off to reload if you wanna shot any kind of distance

I have to agree with Capt RB I spent a lot of time with people on the range this year and didn't see anything close to that. worst I seen was ES 40 and that was 80 degrees and ammo in and out of the sun
as far as which one, pick the one that floats your boat and enjoy it both have good and bad

Back when we had crappy box ammo. Since Hornady is actively competing to get police and military contracts for ammo, it's hard to grasp the primers being like that without someone mixing them up after the fact
NSP%20Tgt-9830.JPG

CR%20Rem%20308%20TAC-Tgt.jpg

A few guys have got their hands on 300 PRC factory ammo. SHOCKER it doesn't fit in a standard mag box. So much for a simple rebarrel on a standard mag rifle. The brass will disappoint.

30 Nosler and 300 RUM are pretty well established at this point. If you're starting from scratch, take a good look at a 300 Norma, the PRC pales in comparison.