30 Cal Choice

etisll40

I'm thinking about building a 30 cal., and would like to shoot the 215-230 Bergers and possibly a smaller hunting bullet too.

I am pondering, 30-375 Ruger, 30-338 Lapua, 300 Norma, 300 Weatherby.

What would be your choice? Anyone have 2 on the list to compare to? Owned or shot 2 side by side or at one time?

The Lapua seems like the most available and best brass solution. But I think the 30-375 Ruger will get the speed and the case design is newer.

Thanks

I've read a little about the 338 Norma and it seemed like an impressive case design, so maybe I need to read about it's little brother in 30 cal, I'd guess it's a necked down 338 Norma case. Brass availaility and maybe having the case stamped correctly might be a consideration too. Seems like with that capacity it could launch the 215 or 230 Berger up around 2800+. That would do it for me. Anyone shooting that combination right now with any results? Please chime in, thanks to all participating.

Seems like with that capacity it could launch the 215 or 230 Berger up around 2800+. That would do it for me. Anyone shooting that combination right now with any results? Please chime in, thanks to all participating.

If you feel that velocity will work I have to ask why not go with a 300 win? The selection of brass and availability is larger than any other. No forming or head stamp issues. You can get 2900 up to 3035 FPS with H-1000 and the 215 depending on barrel length. I like a 10 twist and 5 or 6 groves for this bullet and the performance on game has been totally awesome for us.

However if you choose to go with the 230 sized bullet I like them in a larger case better. We have been shooting them in a 300 win @ 2775 fps for a few years now and they have stacked up game from antelope to large bull elk. But I just feel the 215 is a better match for a 300 win.

If I were going to build a large cased 300 today for the 230's, I would use a custom action, pull the stops and go with a 30-338 Lapua. Why not utilize the best brass I have ever loaded and have the potential to push it if I so desire. If I was to do it in a factory 700 Rem action I would just do a 300 RUM and not load it to kill the brass.

But after owning all of these I am very happy with my old 300 win pushing 215's to 3035. It is one of if not the best hunting rifles I have owned in 30 plus years of hunting. And the release of the 215's made it that way.

Jeff

id pretty much concur with broz. i personaly dont like the larger diameter cases on
700 rems. that said i know its happening. id choose a weatherby action at least in
going that route. the old 300 weatherby dosent get the respect it deserves nowdays
in my opinion. while i wouldnt say norma brass is as good as lapua its done pretty well for us in our 7x300 weatherbys over a 40 year span. a 300 ultramag would be
a very good choice also on a 700 action.

300 Norma is pretty impressive. More impressive would be 300 Norma Imp. (300 Hulk).

Even more impressive is 300 Excalibur but why do you need it for? :)

To my opinion, it is easy to find 300 RUM or 300 Win Mag/300 WSM in any place. You want to shoot with less recoil and cheap to make.

My vote is 300wsm or 308 baer (300 wby improved)

I am in the middle of doing a 300 excalibur improved... :D

There is no REASON for it... But I'm going to have fun with it and that's why we all do this crazy hobby... :cool:

My vote is 300wsm or 308 baer (300 wby improved)

I am in the middle of doing a 300 excalibur improved... :D

There is no REASON for it... But I'm going to have fun with it and that's why we all do this crazy hobby... :cool:

actually baer uses the 340 case on his 308 baer. (joel could confirm that.)
he also uses that on the 284 baer. but you are correct in that it is a good choice
and no doubt splitting hairs over the 300 case.
for those who enjoy tinkering i have for a number of years the howard wolfe wildcat version of what was then a
wildcat 30x378. he shortened the 378 case so that he could use 30" barrels at williamsport. he dubbed it the
wolfe version of the 30x378 which he was largly resopnsible for also.
his actions have the large boltface so it was a logical thing to do at that time. its almost the same for
water capacity as the 300 norma. i load 97 gr retumbo in mine with a 190 smk. its a screamer and has no mercy
on deer up to about 1200. i know bergers are better according to what im told. but i have lots of these so i guess ill still use them. the ultramag would no doubt do just as well and be less trouble for brass.

Last edited:
If you want a big overbore .30 cal...It's hard to beat the .30-378 Weatherby.

The old standby .300 WinMag will push those 215-230 Bergers great...Just ask Broz. I also have loaded alot of different rounds for the .300 WM because I load for a buddy of mine.

I don't want an over bore 30 cal, a win mag is pretty good, just a newer case design and a tad more powder. It looks like the 300 Norma is about right. Enough to get the 230 Berger Hybrid to 2800+ and a lighter bullets to get up in the 3200 area.

300 wm
300 Norma
300 Weatherby
300 RUM
30-338 Lapua
30-378 Weatherby.

This is pretty much the order of power right?

Of all these, the Norma is the newest and maybe the best design?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.