30-30 lever gun shooting 1/2"????

From a non-gun related site, someone is saying they have an old winchester lever action 30-30 that shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards consistently. He says that it was given to him by his father and that he has shot it for 20 years. He says that he is unsure if any work has been done to the gun, but his dad did some gunsmithing on occasion. I have NEVER seen a lever action 30-30 that will do anything close to 1/2 inch at 100 yards. I called the guys BS and started an argument.....yeah, I know, kinda futile on the internet. Anyone think it's remotely possible?
I have a Marlin but ot will only do that with a medium warm barrel on a perfect Fall Day between my cousins and theirs and I load two in the Tube and rack one in the Chamber so I can experience the little carbine accuracy that the pointed bullets

I have a Marlin but ot will only do that with a medium warm barrel on a perfect Fall Day between my cousins and theirs and I load two in the Tube and rack one in the Chamber so I can experience the little carbine accuracy that the pointed bullets
I never got half inch groups with my 1970 model 336 Marlin at 100 yds but I consistently got 3/4 inch groups regularly shooting 150 grain WW super X factory loads
I have a newer model also that I can't get better than 2" groups with.. I know other people who have the older Marlins also and they shoot great also,

I never got half inch groups with my 1970 model 336 Marlin at 100 yds but I consistently got 3/4 inch groups regularly shooting 150 grain WW super X factory loads
I have a newer model also that I can't get better than 2" groups with.. I know other people who have the older Marlins also and they shoot great also,
Yes Feenix it's a 20 year old thread that's been revived a couple times.
I've had numerous model 94's and 336's through the years and it always seems like the older 336's shot better. That being said I don't ever remember a deer walking away from either. 1.5-2" groups are plenty good enough for close range deer hunting which is what these were made for.
Glad to see you around Nipper!

For all of you that say levers don't shoot well, here is a 45-70 from the Remington era. I have a JM 45-70 from the 80s that shoots just as good and I have two 94s in 38-55 and an 1895 in 30-06 that also shoot just as good, just no pictures of the groups. I went through a few rifles to find ones that shoot this well, but it is suprising just how good many levers will shoot.

Calling someone a liar because you have not personally seen something is beyond rude.

1722699633159.jpeg

My big bore 94 in 375 win was super accurate with the right loads and powerful .I shot a ton of 1 inch groups with aa1680 powder and speer 235 grain hot core bullets shooting then single shot That rifle didnt shoot the 220 grain hornady but 2.5 inches at 100 yards .The 235 speer shot good out to 200 yards but didnt expand .I never tried barnes bullets wanted to .I got 2400 fps with aa1680 powder and the 220 gr hornady super powerful with little kick .I even tried 300 grain bullets at 1800 fps for up close grizzly .

I have my uncles old 1906 made 30-30 (Winchester) with Leverlution powder and solid copper bullets from Hornady I get right at .5" at 50 yds. I have a Burris red dot on it.

Yes Feenix it's a 20 year old thread that's been revived a couple times.
I've had numerous model 94's and 336's through the years and it always seems like the older 336's shot better. That being said I don't ever remember a deer walking away from either. 1.5-2" groups are plenty good enough for close range deer hunting which is what these were made for.
Glad to see you around Nipper!
Thankyou, Birddog!! I'm getting around much better..