30-06 for Long Range

Where's the popcorn FEENIX?

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

Its interesting, because this threat actually shows how minor the differences really are.
The difference between a .308 and a .30-06 is small but maybe noticeable, the .300 winmag is a more noticeable stepup, but after that most is imagination. A .300 winmag in real world situation will do the same as even a .30-378.
The only thing the bigger cartridges do, is burn more money and more barrels, make the companies richer and are less accurate due to the fact that they change chemical bore conditions even faster.

Does any use the old reliable 30-06 for Extreme or Long range hunting? How far have you been successful with it?

I really like this cartridge! I don't reload but I can find just about everything I need for variations of ammo to hunt with.

Thanks for the help.
I out ELR range at a mile or more. I think your under gunned with an 06. Out to 1500 yards max, with the right load combination and mother nature dependant, it's gonna get it done. Sure you could take a like at beyond 1500 and do ok but again, Ma nature will be a major factor.

I out ELR range at a mile or more. I think your under gunned with an 06. Out to 1500 yards max, with the right load combination and mother nature dependant, it's gonna get it done. Sure you could take a like at beyond 1500 and do ok but again, Ma nature will be a major factor.
The differences are not as big as you might think they are ... .
If you would compare it to a .30-378.
Same bullet around 600 feet per second advantage for the .30-378 means it does about the same 200 yards farther ... thats it.

The differences are not as big as you might think they are ... .
If you would compare it to a .30-378.
Same bullet around 600 feet per second advantage for the .30-378 means it does about the same 200 yards farther ... thats it.
I pretty much only went by the difference in the 06 vs .308 win. There's about 150 fps/150 ft lbs difference between them. Not a great deal of difference. Not thinking the powder capacity of the 06 case will be enough to move a heavy 30 caliber bullet at ELR ranges to make it a suitable round for the task. Maybe my thoughts are wrong.

Its interesting, because this threat actually shows how minor the differences really are.
The difference between a .308 and a .30-06 is small but maybe noticeable, the .300 winmag is a more noticeable stepup, but after that most is imagination. A .300 winmag in real world situation will do the same as even a .30-378.
The only thing the bigger cartridges do, is burn more money and more barrels, make the companies richer and are less accurate due to the fact that they change chemical bore conditions even faster.
Well you obviously have not personally watched the bullets from very many cartridges actually fly across wide valleys.
If you had, you would well know there is no comparison between a 300 Win and a 30x378 at the longer distances.

This thread sounds just like the Creedmoor threads. You guys need to adjust your range expectations to the point where you still have enough gun when everything doesn't go just right. That is the true limit of long range hunting. Its not just about remaining energy.

I pretty much only went by the difference in the 06 vs .308 win. There's about 150 fps/150 ft lbs difference between them. Not a great deal of difference. Not thinking the powder capacity of the 06 case will be enough to move a heavy 30 caliber bullet at ELR ranges to make it a suitable round for the task. Maybe my thoughts are wrong.
I mean just mathematically there cannot be a whole lot of difference, as it seems
Well you obviously have not personally watched the bullets from very many cartridges actually fly across wide valleys.
If you had, you would well know there is no comparison between a 300 Win and a 30x378 at the longer distances.
It is in your imagination..., a .30-378 Weatherby will do the same as a winmag about 100 yards further yes.
I have worked for a gunmaker 3 years and shot many thousands of rounds sighting in rifles for customers and have also hunted a lot..., i can tell you that the differences you are suggesting are insignificant, thats a natural law, the returns on even more and more powder are diminishing.

Last edited:
This thread sounds just like the Creedmoor threads. You guys need to adjust your range expectations to the point where you still have enough gun when everything doesn't go just right. That is the true limit of long range hunting. Its not just about remaining energy.
I didn't think the Needmoor had any limitations, That's what I've heard anyway

laugh.gif

Just my opinion, Folks put to much faith in to what the paper say's, energy numbers in particular, the 30-06 is a power house and has won countless long range matches and has been killing everything that walks on this continent and many others from a long way away for well over a hundred years, If the 30-06 is your Huckleberry get behind the trigger do your homework and let her eat, don't get caught up in the hype

tenor.gif

Last edited:
I mean just mathematically there cannot be a whole lot of difference, as it seems

It is in your imagination..., a .30-378 Weatherby will do the same as a winmag about 100 yards further yes.
I have worked for a gunmaker 3 years and shot many thousands of rounds sighting in rifles for customers and have also hunted a lot..., i can tell you that the differences you are suggesting are insignificant, thats a natural law, the returns on even more and more powder are diminishing.
So basically your saying the 338 win mag is so close to the 338 Lapua, why have one ? There not using the 338s/375s at the K2M because they love the extra recoil and punishment. There is a huge difference in the performance between the 308 and 30/378. That's not just my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.