285 ELDM or 300 A-Tip

idcwby

For 1500 yard plus, which bullet would you use? .338 285gr ELDM or 300gr ATip. Would be shot from a 33XC and used for deer, elk, and target shooting.

Between those 2 I'd choose the A-tip. Bit better BC and should respond about the same one game, plus they look cool.

If your considering solids at all cutting edge Lazers are the most winning ELR bullet and they are meant to expand. I've heard really good things about the Super Bulldozer 2 also

I'm currently running the Super Bulldozer, need to tinker with it more. Looking for some ideas on a plan B if I can't get them to shoot good enough. Will have to look at the Cutting Edge options again.

The A-tips will suit you fine. They absolutely hammer in my 30 SM, I just started playing with them in 375 RUM-imp and they are looking very promising.
I have a bunch of solids I am going to experiment with also so we'll see where that takes me.

The 300gr Bergers always perform well also.

If your going to CE Lazer I'd do their 300gr but lots of people shoot the 275

Last edited:
Looking at the different choices, it looks like the ATips would be a good choice. They are currently available, unlike the Berger's and I don't have the twist to run the 300gr CE lazer.

Do the ATips seem like a fast bullet for the weight or slower?

Looking at the different choices, it looks like the ATips would be a good choice. They are currently available, unlike the Berger's and I don't have the twist to run the 300gr CE lazer.

Do the ATips seem like a fast bullet for the weight or slower?
Run the A-tips then, you won't be dissapointed.
I went back and checked my notes and 250 A-tips vs 245 Bergers at the same powder charge A-tips are slower but where they wanted to shoot best was close to same speed. According to my notes the Bergers were starting to show pressure sooner.

We mostly run the A-Tips in my son's .338 LM; used the 285 ELDM's before the A-Tips came out, and since when I wasn't able to score the A-Tips. Same loads, and I've not been able to ascertain any difference in results at the target that couldn't be attributed to environmental/shooter error. You can't go wrong with either. With just a 5% difference in weight, I have no idea why they're manufacturing both. Nearly identical CBTO, plastic tip vs. aluminum; it's a coin flip at least with his rifle.

What velocity are you seeing there?

The A-tips will suit you fine. They absolutely hammer in my 30 SM, I just started playing with them in 375 RUM-imp and they are looking very promising.
I have a bunch of solids I am going to experiment with also so we'll see where that takes me.

The 300gr Bergers always perform well also.

If your going to CE Lazer I'd do their 300gr but lots of people shoot the 275
Which ATips are you using in your 30 SM ? I'm currently using the 225 elds. 9 twist barrel so guessing both would work

Which ATips are you using in your 30 SM ? I'm currently using the 225 elds. 9 twist barrel so guessing both would work
I shoot the 250's. Everyone I've talked to that has tried both 230 and 250 seems to say what you trade in velocity balances out with the BC so they end up with little to no difference.

I actually have since picked up everything for a 338 Edge, just waiting for chamber job. going to shoot 300gr A-tips out of that.

I shoot the 250's. Everyone I've talked to that has tried both 230 and 250 seems to say what you trade in velocity balances out with the BC so they end up with little to no difference.

I actually have since picked up everything for a 338 Edge, just waiting for chamber job. going to shoot 300gr A-tips out of that.
I'm also shooting a 338 Lapua improved with 285s and 300 Bergers. Considering the 300 ATips as well