280AI or 7mm Remington Mag?

If this gun is going to be donated to a bible camp, then most likely not every one will know how to reload. Bible camps tend to change leaders and even owners from time to time and usually the property of the Bible camp stays there. With that said I would not build a wildcat, I would build something that you can go into a store and buy ammo for like a 280 rem or the 7 mag. I did a custom build for my dad on a 280rem I really wanted to build a AI but also know he can't reload.

Of those two,280 AI. No matter who wins it whether it is a woman, man, or a youth, they will be able to shoot it without the shoulder being punished.

I'm building a rifle to donate as a fundraiser to the folks at Yellowstone Bible Camp. I have a 7mm barrel Remington long action and long action McMillan stock. I'm trying to decide on caliber, which would you rather have? I think the 280ai is cooler but the 7rm has much more factory ammo support. The goal is to raise money for the camp so I guess the question is which do you think would appeal to more folks?
My input having built both thru the years is: 1. Your donor action a mag or std LA? 2. You open to doing work in the action to true it and or customize it with an extractor? Mags kinda need that...3. Pick your caliber based on the area of use and game expected to be harvested, the 7mm Rem Mag is much more than any East Coast guy is gonna need for deer. 280AI has plenty of factory ammo avail so dont make that an issue less u think your prospective recipiant is a Walmart only shopper! Both have plenty of range for most guys to shoot anything!

Over in the Pac NW the 280 AI was very popular. But like I said it's been 10 years since I use to go to the area a lot. I'd think both would be popular.

The thing that would sway me would be you potential audience. It they a real advocates the 280AI would be my choice for one thing in a pinch you can shoot 280 ammo and you would have fire formed brass. I have owned both the 280 and 7mm loved them both. But I realy wished I would have never sold my 280 Browning stainless LH rifle. But if not many enthusiastic shooters would show up then probably 7 mm mag for easy access to ammo. Even 280 can be hard to find.

If the rifle has high CDI factor I think 7mm RM owners would say "Man that rifle wouldn't hurt in my collection." and vice versa.

I'm curious how you got to the 7mm or 280 AI being the two options.

Full disclosure I haven't read the entire thread . Just curious

I'm building a rifle to donate as a fundraiser to the folks at Yellowstone Bible Camp. I have a 7mm barrel Remington long action and long action McMillan stock. I'm trying to decide on caliber, which would you rather have? I think the 280ai is cooler but the 7rm has much more factory ammo support. The goal is to raise money for the camp so I guess the question is which do you think would appeal to more folks?
I have both..agree from a cool factor, 280AI wins by a mile.. I have used my Rifles Inc for one form or another of mtn hunting for the past 15 years.. LOVE that rifle.. super lightweight and incredibly accurate..have taken Ibex all over the world with that rifle..anywhere from 225yds to slightly over 600.. using 140gr Nosler Accubonds.. for an auction I would do the 280AI .. IMHO..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.