28 Nosler with N570 & Berger 180 VLDH

I'm new at reloading...
I have a Fierce Edge in 28 Nosler and have been trying to find the top accuracy node. I thought it would be around 3150 fps or maybe 3250 at the highest. I'm approaching 3300 and wondering if I'm going down the wrong path. No pressure signs yet. As stated in the title, powder is N570 and bullets are Berger 180 VLD Hunting. Brass is Gunwerks, primers are Federal 215, COAL is 3.560 and jam is 3.580. Neck tension .002. I'm at 56 shots since new and think jam has increased .001.

In the chart below, red and green are the same shots #2 and blue and yellow are the same shots #3.
The best group was blue/yellow at 84.2 grains which was half MOA at 200 yards. This is around 3300 fps.

1650764034008.png

Be ready for throat erosion with N570, it seems to burn pretty hot. I am really not understanding the chart, but would say, if you are at .5 MOA at 200 yards, then I would shoot distance to verify your velocity. Something else to look at is your ES and SD in that .5 MOA group, are you in the teens or higher? Once you find your node with bullet and powder combo, then you are set, the 28 Nosler will burn out quick when running Hot. To preserve barrel life most find a load with one bullet and powder and just shoot few times a year to verify and go hunt. I have a 28 and have around 300 rounds down it, the throat seems to burn 1/8 inch every 100 rounds, the accuracy is still there, but they are not a target rifle for sure. Good luck and keep us posted on how it works out.

Thanks Kmccord.
I'm including another version of the ladder test graph with only the lab radar results. The first test is in green and second is in yellow. The long flat spot in green seems to start around 83.6 grains so that's where I started the second test. I had some large variations in velocities in the second test (yellow) but that's another issue. Best accuracy was at 84.2 grains but I'm thinking that 3300 fps is too high. The target below is of the second test (yellow) at 200 yards. I haven't read about anyone else shooting Berger 180 VLD-H out of saami 28 Nosler at velocity this high. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe I'll find pressure signs soon?? Regardless, I'll try 84.2 grains again to see if I can duplicate the accuracy. And probably higher.

1650822172283.png

2nd ladder test target.jpg

Attachments

• 1650820579708.png
    1650820579708.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 54
I have attached what Berger sent me back in 2016 for there data on the 28 Nosler with 180gr VLD. You will see what they show for powder charges for all powders in this class. You are over what they show as max charge. Do you have a stiff bolt? If no, do you have a shiny ejector mark or flatten primer? If yes, then you are overpressure and need to back off.

Attachments

• IMG_20190714_071848889.jpg
    IMG_20190714_071848889.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 272
That is some pretty extreme speed. I would back off as well. Like down to 3150-3180 and then tune your seating depth. Also those groups are pretty obscene. I wouldn't consider #4 legit either, especially after 1, 2 & 3. I would personally back off a little and try to find some form of consistent accuracy first, before proceeding with more higher charge testing.

People forget that velocity can be a pressure sign. 3300 with a 180, I'd consider that a pressure sign and back off to the next lower node. Really, once you get that bullet over 3k it will kill just about anything at just about any distance.

Good advice above ^^^.
In my Fierce Edge 28N, I got 180H to ~3250 with Retumbo & 8133 without anything more than mild extractor shine, and primer pockets held good for 4-5. Best long-range accuracy, case life (read pressure) & ES/SD was 3150-3200 fps. I spent a lot of time and barrel life looking for some pixie dust. Like Kmcord said above, they are not a target rifle. Depending on your definition of LR, get a load that is acceptable for YOU, and let it be. Fwiw, the 180H at 3200 mv has dropped bighorn, elk & deer, and at 300+yds, and it remains explosive at those distances, almost in the extreme. Just bought a new Bartlein to screw on at some point, 8tw, and planning on shooting 195s. Current barrel is just shy of 500 rounds, and I don't even want to put a scope down the throat. Erosion is real. I've treated the original barrel with kid gloves since shot #1. Never (literally) more than 1 shot in a minute, and most group testing / velocity testing was 5 minutes per. Bad enough paying for components, and so after buying the new barrel I had a thought: let's say $800 for a new SS barrel + install. I won't get 800 shots and THAT barrel will be toast. So $1+ per shot just on the barrel. I really like what the 28N does on game, and I'm ok with all that. It's also why I have since bought a 6mm-284 and 223 as practice rifles.

On that Fierce barrel, you've got ~40 shots and that thing will be settled in. Drop the velocity back a bit, tweak seating depth & powder as needed, and settle on a load you like at your "LR" distance. After that, check distance marks/drops occasionally, and let it be. A couple shots each season to foul the barrel, check zero, and LR drops, and go kill ****.

Recent Posts