277 sig fury

Yes it has a 20" barrel and weighs 7.1 lbs. The short barrel is on their semiautomatic rifle ($4100+) rifle. No idea why the 20" vs. the 16".
When they launched the cross was advertised a 277 fury having a 16in barrel. And a 7 twist.

Instead they made a black 270win. Huh.

I was going to buy one of these when they got around to cambering for it, but I don't even have 277 bullets that will stabilize in a barrel they pulled out of a 1950's junk pile. I mean you'd at least think they'd follow the saami chambering and twist. Since they made the thing up. I just saved $1800.

Last edited:
When they launched the cross was advertised a 277 fury having a 16in barrel. And a 7 twist.

Instead they made a black 270win. Huh.

I was going to buy one of these when they got around to cambering for it, but I don't even have 277 bullets that will stabilize in a barrel they pulled out of a 1950's junk pile. I mean you'd at least think they'd follow the saami chambering and twist. Since they made the thing up.
I've been waiting for this rifle for quite a while, so I am very happy to have it in my hands.

My guess is the 16" barrel is how the military wanted it in the new battle weapon. 16" barrel, and, enough punch to go thru a standard military bullet resistant vest, body armor?, at 600 yards. Sig answered with 277 fury set up. I bet for civilian use 20" barrel is better. The civilian ammo might have a different load?
I think the military round is suppose to have a muzzle velocity of 3000 fps out of the 16" set up. 140 grain projectiles.?

My guess is the 16" barrel is how the military wanted it in the new battle weapon. 16" barrel, and, enough punch to go thru a standard military bullet resistant vest, body armor?, at 600 yards. Sig answered with 277 fury set up. I bet for civilian use 20" barrel is better. The civilian ammo might have a different load?
I think the military round is suppose to have a muzzle velocity of 3000 fps out of the 16" set up. 140 grain projectiles.?
Sig has 4 different rounds available. The 1st being the hybrid poly tipped 150gr. $80/box, another hybrid 155gr match round $65/box; a 135gr fmj $33/box and a 130gr soft point hunting round at $40/box.

I picked up a few of the FMJ rounds. I figured I need the brass to reload

There will be no reduction in rounds down range for suppressive fire when your maneuver element is assaulting the objective up to its LOA. It's not precision shooting out there.
The study that they did for Nam was that for every NVA or Black Pajamas killed it took 56K rounds. Now this was for all Services Combined (Army/USMC/Air Force/Navy). That is why the OD changed the M-16A2 to selective fire of Safe, semi & 3 shot burst. When Newbees got onto their first fire fights (and maybe last) would duck and empty a whole clip into nowhere.
Seasoned/Trained units would use selective fire(safe, semi, auto).
I would think that the NEW US Fighters from any Service are TRAINED in Combat before being sent into action. This new .277 could be a good difference from the 5.56???

The study that they did for Nam was that for every NVA or Black Pajamas killed it took 56K rounds. Now this was for all Services Combined (Army/USMC/Air Force/Navy). That is why the OD changed the M-16A2 to selective fire of Safe, semi & 3 shot burst. When Newbees got onto their first fire fights (and maybe last) would duck and empty a whole clip into nowhere.
Seasoned/Trained units would use selective fire(safe, semi, auto).
I would think that the NEW US Fighters from any Service are TRAINED in Combat before being sent into action. This new .277 could be a good difference from the 5.56???
My own thoughts on rifle/cartridge combos.
Seems like when a new theatre of operations is foreseen in the future new combos come out. To your example Nam was spray&pray
from the news I see its optics and aimed rounds down range with distance between 300-500 yards. Seems DOD is attempting to use the Kalishnakov (sp) weakness, distance accuracy, against it. Just my 2c

My own thoughts on rifle/cartridge combos.
Seems like when a new theatre of operations is foreseen in the future new combos come out. To your example Nam was spray&pray
from the news I see its optics and aimed rounds down range with distance between 300-500 yards. Seems DOD is attempting to use the Kalishnakov (sp) weakness, distance accuracy, against it. Just my 2c
If you see the Military weapons of today, they have Optics like nothing even what we can get today.
I had a M-14 with Iron, then a M-16 with Iron, or a M-14 with Starlight Scope and then a Rem model 700 with a 10X fixed power Scope.
Today's US Fighting Men/Women are trained to shoot through very good optics. No longer "SPRAY".
If I was still in, I would still carry double the max load of ammo. some water and a med kit.

I thought the goal behind the .277 Fury was to get sufficient velocity to penetrate Level 4 armor at up to 600M, and the only way to do that with a 16" barrel was to boost the chamber pressure to 80K psi... and then the only way to prevent case head separation and blown-out primers was the bi-metal case with the brass portion of the case well into the chamber. Basically Remington's 3 rings of steel idea but with no seam at the bolt/barrel face for brass to fail. Given that the weak link in modern cartridges is the brass case, I wonder if ammo companies will start using bi-metal cartridge cases to factory load 70K loads that will safely 'magnum-ize' old favorites like the '06, .270, etc?

For us civilian hunters, a 6.8 Western with a 24" barrel will outperform the .277 Fury in a 16" barrel and be roughly equivalent 20" Fury barrel, without running 80K psi pressures... there are published 140 gr handloads getting 3100 ft/sec. Maybe Winchester should do a run of their 1885 High Wall hunting rifle in 6.8 Western with a 26" factory barrel. I'm going to get a 0.535" bolt head and extractor for my new-to-me Mausingfield action and a 26" CF barrel in that caliber for a long range game rifle.