264 win mag for elk?

Just for general info, I have taken many elk with the 6.5x308 wildcat before Rem brought it out as a factory 260 Rem cartridge, & the Savage model 16 in 260 Rem. The 260 Rem is a bit higher in velocity than the 6.5x55 Swede. The Swede came out in 1893 & has taken heavy game, the world over, Africa included. .The Scandinavians have long praised the ability of the 6.5x55 to take moose. The year before last I took my elk at about 30yds. Using the Badlands 6.5 125gr BD out of my Savage 260 Rem, at about 3029fps over my chrono. Loaded with Rel 26 & a CCI 250 primes. The elk was angling from me, left to right at a hard angle. Close to straight away. The bullet entered into the last rear rib on the left side. Took it out , plus the rib ahead of it. That's two large ribs in a row. It then angled across ( at least 24" ) to the right side passing thru the back edge of the heart & completely penetrating the front right shoulder. When I pulled the hide back there was the bullet. See picture of bullet before & after. Recovered bullet weights 105grs. Very rare to recover one of these copper mono's. As I stated before , the mono's pernitrate out of all proportion to their weight. These 6.5 mono's have worked too many years & times to be a fluke.

Attachments

• DSC04148.JPG
    DSC04148.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 9
Marlin 336 in .32 Win Special Bought in 1954 by my dad for my mom to Deer Hunt! I put a Wilson Peep Sight and raised Fiber Optic Front Sight.
Like new except some Bluing wore off from carrying it. We shot 170gr Silver Tips! Original Box of bullets from when my dad purchased the rifle. I still have the original sales receipt for the rifle.
It does have a KICK to it! Was going to put a Pachmayer Pad but tried to keep more original. I don't shoot it anymore and only shot it a few times to shoot deer.

Will KNOCK DOWN any ELK, BEAR, MOOSE!
LOL - We had a Fixed 4x Weaver - side mounted - with part of one rear sight tang filed off.

Zeroed in at 100 yards - usually hunted in thick Timber - and it worked like a charm.

Funny - don't remember the kick - but I wuz young. :)

Just for general info, I have taken many elk with the 6.5x308 wildcat before Rem brought it out as a factory 260 Rem cartridge, & the Savage model 16 in 260 Rem. The 260 Rem is a bit higher in velocity than the 6.5x55 Swede. The Swede came out in 1893 & has taken heavy game, the world over, Africa included. .The Scandinavians have long praised the ability of the 6.5x55 to take moose. The year before last I took my elk at about 30yds. Using the Badlands 6.5 125gr BD out of my Savage 260 Rem, at about 3029fps over my chrono. Loaded with Rel 26 & a CCI 250 primes. The elk was angling from me, left to right at a hard angle. Close to straight away. The bullet entered into the last rear rib on the left side. Took it out , plus the rib ahead of it. That's two large ribs in a row. It then angled across ( at least 24" ) to the right side passing thru the back edge of the heart & completely penetrating the front right shoulder. When I pulled the hide back there was the bullet. See picture of bullet before & after. Recovered bullet weights 105grs. Very rare to recover one of these copper mono's. As I stated before , the mono's pernitrate out of all proportion to their weight. These 6.5 mono's have worked too many years & times to be a fluke.
Ya - the Swed 6;5 shot Elephants through the ear - dropped them like a rock.

I have taken numerous elk over the years with the 264mag,, 6.5x308 ( now the 260 Rem ) using the Barnes old 120gr"X". Now TSX & TTSX. Also the Badlands Precision ( now out of business) 125grBD, Hammer 121gr HH. Always one shot kills. Most times complete penetration. The classic broad side thru the lungs, has most times been the most elusive shot presented to me. Just about any deer bullet will work on a the broad side lung shot. My longest shot ever was 347yds. Most of the rest has been under 200yd with many under 100yd. I switched to the copper mono's years ago because I had so much meat loss due to blood shot meat from lead core bullets. The worst destroyed, was with my old 338 mag. Many shots have been from acute angles from the front or back. On these types of shots, lots of bone & heavy muscle has to be penetrated. The copper mono's do the least amount of meat destruction, & give penetration out of all proportion to their weight. From all the copper mono's I have used , they all seem to work equally well.

Hespco, be very careful promoting mono bullets! You are very close to committing blasphemy here! 😜 memtb