26 Nosler????? !!!!!

It is bad enough where I live....little town called Inkom...couple miles southeast of Pocatello...
Nice area...and being I have a handyman service I makes traveling to and from outlying cities
much easier....not a big town but neighbors are still to close....we thought about Boise area
but opted to raise our son in a more rural area....
Alot of lands adjacent to the mountains have been purchased....and no access allowed...people trying to preserve their own hunting grounds....don't blame em'..I would have preferred a piece like that too....maybe our next move....and it will come with at least enough property to shoot rifles and shotguns....
our son has been shooting since he was about five...gave him a Rogue Rifle .22 Barracuda..thumbhole stock...set him up at the rock pit once and he a swinging tuna fish can...he was blasting it hanging as a 4" circle..then the wind started turning it...told him to wait until it swung around.....but he started shooting the edge of the can....I shut up and just kept loading the gun.....he also was learning to blast clays from our electronic thrower at age nine....Tristar 28ga shotguns...his was an o/u...little heavy(4.8#)for him...but he has toasted alot of clays....so I reload alot of 28ga...or did..we haven't found a good place to shoot shotguns here...but we soon will....leave alot of lead and busted clays on the ground...but not a hull...unless we can't find it...I have shown my wife and son that WE are not going to leave garbage anywhere...we are but temporarily users of the land.....
just wish nor people packed out more than they pack in.....

It is bad enough where I live....little town called Inkom...couple miles southeast of Pocatello...
Nice area...and being I have a handyman service I makes traveling to and from outlying cities
much easier....not a big town but neighbors are still to close....we thought about Boise area
but opted to raise our son in a more rural area....
Alot of lands adjacent to the mountains have been purchased....and no access allowed...people trying to preserve their own hunting grounds....don't blame em'..I would have preferred a piece like that too....maybe our next move....and it will come with at least enough property to shoot rifles and shotguns....
our son has been shooting since he was about five...gave him a Rogue Rifle .22 Barracuda..thumbhole stock...set him up at the rock pit once and he a swinging tuna fish can...he was blasting it hanging as a 4" circle..then the wind started turning it...told him to wait until it swung around.....but he started shooting the edge of the can....I shut up and just kept loading the gun.....he also was learning to blast clays from our electronic thrower at age nine....Tristar 28ga shotguns...his was an o/u...little heavy(4.8#)for him...but he has toasted alot of clays....so I reload alot of 28ga...or did..we haven't found a good place to shoot shotguns here...but we soon will....leave alot of lead and busted clays on the ground...but not a hull...unless we can't find it...I have shown my wife and son that WE are not going to leave garbage anywhere...we are but temporarily users of the land.....
just wish nor people packed out more than they pack in.....
On your last point, boy do I know what you mean. The people who crap on the land wherever they go are the folks most responsible for locked gates and "Property of XYZ Gov't Agency, Off Limits" signs.

Iron worker has hit the nail on the head again....all these wild lands around but you have to watch for.....people....
I was out on a deadend road shooting one day and out of nowhere comes a person from directly behind where my target was set....from behind the ridge....but from the middle of nowhere....same place but this time horseback riders....I quit going there....
Another place and time quads coming through the roadless sage....
Havent yet had a snowmobile rider come up.... yet....but I would be sure
someday one will...
Built houses east of Carson City back in the late eighties....place called MoundHouse...around a 36 hole golf course....I bet there are people everywhere there now....
Back then some Army boys got busted for shooting some wild horses from a helicopter...
I bet the golf course guys put them up to it....horses out on the fairways and greens everyday....big tufts of grass everywhere the horse ****ed on the ground....

Snowing again today....already another two inches here at the house.....
I dont mind the winter snows....but it sure is hindering my working up loads to this 26Nosler.....

The only other part about people showing up behind the targets...
I was only shooting 100 yards.....at the base of a hill...no roads behind the target...
and she I thought we we safe view of at least 200 hundred yards in each direction...
By why soul someone walk towards gun fire....sure beats the heck out of me....
I don't trust anyone with a gun unless I know what they are doing with it and they are in my group of shooters.....and 99% of the time the other shooters are my wife and son...
Being at a public shooting range..I am very careful of all peoples...
While at one place a guy had four kids with him and he didnt care where they were...
His daughter started playing inbetween tables and kept inching towards the front of the range...I finally be to tell the guy to be the kids back...absolutely ridiculous...

Still snowing and only 20 degrees.....I think I wont get to shoot to quite some time as we are ago i to get another really cold nasty hit I weather in the next couple days...
Took the wife to dr. today and saw three wrecks on the hwy....glad we weren't caught up in the lanes that were stopped either time....
Happy New Year.....

Has anyone toasted a 26 Nosler barrel yet ? I'm curious on reliable info on this cartridges useful life.
Thanks.

I am north of 450 through mine, still a half moa gun. The rifleing still looks good with minimal fire cracking, but my base to ogive length has grown around .005". I am super carefull with barrel heat, I never let it get hot, and clean the barrel more often than most of my other rifles. The cleaning might not help, but the rifle seems to shoot the best in the first 20-25 rounds from a cleaning.

I'm willing to bet with care a man should be able to get 1000 rounds of accurate life ( half to 3/4 moa).

I'm not sure about that 1000 number ??? I don't consider this a daily driver/shooter,just tooooo much powder for the bore diameter. It's a great long range hunting big game rifle, hard to beat because of it's flatness.. 20 shots a year actually hunting will last you 25 years... Great cartridge but it has limitations..

When last I talked to a Nosler rep I was told two different scenarios....
First....that a conservative shooter should achieve in upwards of 1200 sounds through the barrel...
Second...that a pushing the envelope type shooter should get between 800-1000 through the barrel....
Third....it depends on you barrel maker and how you take care of it....

I still haven't been able to shoot....still in teens and have had another 3' of snow....
Come on spring.......

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.