.243 for Whitetail

If the deer is standing in an open field when shot, and runs into that sort of area, there's not much one can do.

You hunt where the deer are and having a blood trail is always preferable to not having one.

That's a little bigger than a "100 foot diameter area".

I was trying to be delicate, but I guess I'll be a little more direct as the point was missed. The fact is, short of artillery, there isn't a round made which guarantees DRT. If you can't find a deer dropped within a 100 foot diameter circle, I don't care the terrain, I question your ability. That's a really small area you should be able to search every inch of on your hands and knees in a short time frame. And since no round guarantees DRT, if you can't search a 100 foot diameter circle, you shouldn't be hunting there at all. I have hunted places like that, I have shot deer which didn't leave a blood trail, I got on my hands and knees and found them within such a distance as they were well shot.

My example was shared to point out a case where even in a situation where every major organ system was obliterated, because the skeletal and/or CNS was not disrupted -- which can NEVER be guaranteed -- it took a deer only seconds to cover a distance far greater that what you characterize as unsearchable.

I never made any such claims.
I just know what I've experienced.
Sounds like your experience is you have a hard time making kill shots.

Before you start copying people's post and start trying to discredit them maybe you should know their experience. Maybe they own a machine shop and their hobby is building custom rifles and shooting long range and benchrest. FYI the last deer I shot was at 623yards holding 1.6 mils and yes I dropped her. I set a gun up for a friend's boy who's 10 and he killed his first two deer last year. You guessed it, dropped them. Don't assume your experience is the same as every one else, easy way to make a *** of yourself when you assume

If you can't find a deer dropped within a 100 foot diameter circle,
I didn't say they "dropped".

My example was shared to point out a case where even in a situation where every major organ system was obliterated, because the skeletal and/or CNS was not disrupted -- which can NEVER be guaranteed -- it took a deer only seconds to cover a distance far greater that what you characterize as unsearchable.
And again, that's not what I said.

If they get that far with no blood trail, you have no idea which direction they went when they continued, so they are lost.

Before you start copying people's post and start trying to discredit them maybe you should know their experience.

How much do you know about mine?

easy way to make a *** of yourself when you assume
On that we agree.
This is an assumption:
Sounds like your experience is you have a hard time making kill shots.

For a healthy adult, what is the point in 243 for deer? A 150 grain 30-06 is faster, and 180 is just a little slower.

I know this is an old post and several have replied already.

I like a .30-06 as much as the next guy and I am likely one of the single most able-bodied men on this forum.

For me it is a matter of efficiency. Here in Virginia the vegetation renders a 250+ yard shot unlikely. A .243 will do fine inside that range. Sure a 150 grain .30-06 will too, but if i can achieve the same effects with the .243 then what difference does it make? A deer tastes the same regardless of the round that drops it.

I like my .30-06 too, but I'm not messing with that recoil for white tail. Not here in VA, anyway. I put a few rounds through mine periodically just to stay proficient with it in hopes to someday be able to use it against some bigger game than white tail deer in VA. Until then the .243 works fine. It's a matter of preference.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.