.223/5.56 brass

I don't notice any pressure issues between the two head stamps but I'm usually either lc or fed. I also use rather slow burning powder in a 5.56 chamber so I'm a lot less likely to have an issue to start with.

if your shooting a bolt gun like a 700 Remington or a Savage 12, you won't notice it. The problem is really in the AR platform. I've shot a lot of Lake City match in my 700, and really have not noticed the so called pressure spike even though my chamber is on the minimum side too.
gary

if your shooting a bolt gun like a 700 Remington or a Savage 12, you won't notice it. The problem is really in the AR platform. I've shot a lot of Lake City match in my 700, and really have not noticed the so called pressure spike even though my chamber is on the minimum side too.
gary
dpms classic 20" bbl..

I'm kinda caught between a rock and a hard place here. I would like all my ammo to be the same, or at least comparable from my ar to my bolt rifle (which ever I get I don't have the bolt rifle yet). The only bolt rifle,that I know of that is chambered in 5.56 is the Mossberg mvp. I kinda like the Savage but if the Mossberg will shoot moa or better I really have no problem with that considering the compatibility controversy. I have experienced commercial ammo out of spec that distorted one of my rifles in the near past. It was only a .17hmr but I'll tell ya what it did some damage and I was lucky to not be injured. I have no intention of knowingly allowing that to happen in a much more powerful round. It may be necessary just to purchase new .223 ammo specifically for the new rifle and only fire the 5.56 in the ar. The other hitch in the mix is my ar seems to require a small base die to size it to work properly its chamber. This is also another consideration. So Savage and by .223 ammo just for it or 5.56 and get the Mossberg and have my ammo I have now work in both rifles?

Ain't nothin easy huh??LOL

I don't have any issues loading ammo that will work in my AR and Bolt action rifle. My only problem is twist rates. My Bolt action has a 1-12 and my AR is a 1-8 twist. I do not shoot my 69 or 77's out of my bolt because it will not shoot them with even the slightest bit of accuracy. However, if I am shooting 55 grain bullets I load them to 223 specifications in military brass. When developing the loads I started off with the lightest powder charge and shoot them across my chronograph and work my loads up from there not to go above the published velocity for my load. Also, many of the newer loading manuals have loads for both 223 and 5.56. Neither of rifles requires a small base die.

Thanks. My ar is 1-9 twist and either the Mossberg or the Savage is 1-9 so the twist is the same. Of course that doesn't mean they like the same loads.

I don't know why my .223 die didn't resize the brass so that it will work in my ar but it didn't. At the base of the brass is .003 larger in diameter than a .223 factory round. I bought once fired military brass and it must have gone though an automatic weapon with larger chambers. I can get the rounds in the chamber and they will fire and extract but if I try to clear the chamber by hand it's very difficult to say the least. I think if I resize these rounds with the small base die then shoot them in the ar they will probably be fine. Just the initial sizing it the problem. Either that or I have a tight chamber in my ar. However factory loads run fine being .003 smaller in diameter than my once fired brass.
Yes using the crony to find fps and checking against the load book is a great idea but it still won't give chamber psi. That can be higher or lower depending on the load. Loading 5.56 to .223 specs is what I plan to do pretty much even for my ar. Again I would like a round for both if possible. I don't want to get out in the field pickin of PDs and have confusion as to what ammo is what.

Your are right it won't tell you pressure, but it does give me some confidence in knowing I am not "loading in the dark". Having both an AR and bolt with the same twist would be nice. I would like to have a bolt gun with a 1-8 twist. May need to re-barrel sometime in the future.

Your are right it won't tell you pressure, but it does give me some confidence in knowing I am not "loading in the dark". Having both an AR and bolt with the same twist would be nice. I would like to have a bolt gun with a 1-8 twist. May need to re-barrel sometime in the future.

Yeah it's a darn good starting place. You can always look for any signs of over pressure and back off. I tend to load on the light end. Even with my low end loads I can get out to a reasonable distance. I guess we may never find the "perfect" do all round. LOL

The 5.56 chamber has a larger neck, a longer freebore, and less throat angle than a .223 chamber.

The 5.56 chamber has a larger neck, a longer freebore, and less throat angle than a .223 chamber.

Thanks I am asking this because I really don't know. What does that mean in terms of using 5.56 brass loaded to .223 spec, or loads, and firing them in a .223 chamber. Now the powder charge would be for using in .223 brass. I realize the internal volume of the 5.56 man be a bit smaller because of the wall thickness so the pressure could be higher. The question is is that a significant if using loads on the light side? I did see a chart that showed the physical difference between the 5.56 and .223 brass casing and it was minimal. Not saying insignificant saying they are close.

I understand it is not advisable and considered dangerous to fire factory loaded 5.56 rounds in a .223 chambered rifle but is it safe to fire 5.56 brass loaded to .223 specs in a .223 chamber?

is it safe to fire 5.56 brass loaded to .223 specs in a .223 chamber?

How do you load to .223 specs? You size the brass to fit the chamber, you seat the bullet to fit the throat, you use a powder charge that doesn't make too much pressure. You are in charge of building the cartridge. You can make it do whatever you want it to do.

You would use this same procedure if you were reloading .223 brass.

How do you load to .223 specs? You size the brass to fit the chamber, you seat the bullet to fit the throat, you use a powder charge that doesn't make too much pressure. You are in charge of building the cartridge. You can make it do whatever you want it to do.

You would use this same procedure if you were reloading .223 brass.

Yes I understand. I load 5.56 to .223 spec now and shoot them in my 5.56 chambered AR. My question is is 5.56 brass safe to use in a .223 chambered rifle? Is there any reason why 5.56 brass itself should not be fired in a .223 chambered rifle? I guess the best way to put this is can I load an assortment of 5.56 and .223 brass mixed together in a pile. Load them the same, to .223 specs, grab a hand full and without paying attention whether it is 5.56 brass or .223 brass chamber them on a .223 chambered rifle and pull the trigger and be safe in doing so?

Again this may sound dumb but I really don't know. Considering what may be at stake its important for me to know, which at this point I don't.

I guess the best way to put this is can I load an assortment of 5.56 and .223 brass mixed together in a pile. Load them the same, to .223 specs, grab a hand full and without paying attention whether it is 5.56 brass or .223 brass chamber them on a .223 chambered rifle and pull the trigger and be safe in doing so?

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on how much difference there is in the types of brass. This is something you are going to have to determine by experimenting.

Yes, you can use 5.56 brass in your .223 bolt action.
When you reload using .223 data, you should see that the pressures are below what the 5.56 factory pressures are.

On another note. If you are reloading for accuracy in your bolt action, then you should separate your brass anyways. Work up a load with the .223 brass that shoot accurately from your bolt action. And then use the 5.56 for your AR. You will probably find out that your bolt action may like a heavier grain bullet than your AR.

Recent Posts