220 Swift AI

My cousin and I were trying to hit crows out to about 800+ with .308 Win. We came close, but never hit. We had a hard time hitting anything at that range. :rolleyes: Oh well, hoping for more shooting and better luck this season.

I made a very lucky witnessed 1 shot 1 kill at 880 yards on a feathered varmint sitting on a fencepost with my 243Ackley Improved. I had about 2.5 feet of windage as well. My drop chart for elevation is definitely on the money with that gun.

I run 44 grains of h414 in my 220 swift improved. Pushing a 55 grn dogtown bullet at 3988 fps according to the chrony, also us a wlr primer. My pal with the same make and model rifle gets 3976 fps.

If I'm not mistaken that is the Midway Usa bullet correct? If it is, what type of effect do you get on hits, and what is the accuracy like? What is the BC?

I'd check the twist rate of that rig. If it's 14, or 12 twist and u're trying to get out as far as possible, i'd also take alook at the JLK Low Drags. They have the highest BC u can shoot out of those respective twist rates. The 52 gr. is for 14's and a BC of .302. The 60 is for 12 twists and the BC is .339. As for terminal ballistics, i've had good results to about 500 yds. with my 223 AI AR on coyotes using the 65 rated for 10 twists BC of .4

Not sure aboout the bc of the bullet but I can tell you that they will shoot into about .56-.69 three shot group. They also have definate terminal ballistics on Nebraska coyotes about a 8 inch exit hole at 300 yds.

I shoot the 220 wby rocket which is one of the many blown out 220 swift designs. I have great results with IMR 4350 and 52 grain match bullets at 4200 fps. It is a one hole rifle at 100 yards. Before the little doggies went in for winter. I shot over a hundred without missing at between 200-450 yards. It is a very good shooting load.

I remember years ago when i was looking thru the old JLK catalog for a suitable VLD to shoot out of my AR, i had to do a double take when i saw the BC's of the 22 cal. Low Drags. I really didn't need any at the time, but they always stuck in my mind since they offered such a huge external ballistics advantage for the factory 14,12, and 10 twist barrels. One of the guys that used to hang out here asked about a higher BC bullet to shoot out of his 12 twist 22-250 Cooper. The guy was into long-range varmint shooting, so i told him he oughtta' try one of them (52 or 60). This guy couldn't thank me enuf. When he compared his loads back to back at 600 yds. he was beating his old 50 gr. Nosler load with the 52 LD by something like 2MOA at 600 yds. for both windage and elevation. If u run the ballistic sof these bullets u can see the relative advantage of them. I have heard some guys say that they get some gps. that r hard to believe from these bullets. 90+% of the guns we and others i know of have beat every load they could come up with for accuracy.

Recently i tested a buddy's factory Savage Striker 22-250 12-twist 12" barrel at 425 yds. using the 60 LD and got a 3-shot gp of 2.5" cloverleafed. If u haven't tried them u ought to, IF u're trying to reach out there with those twist rates.

With the 220 rocket at those velocities I don't think anything is left to travel beyond the prarie dogs. Both the doggies and the bullets vaporize on contact. It is amazing to watch through a good spotting scope as the little doggie is sitting there and then there is a spray and just a few very small peices of meat left.

I shoot 2 weatherby rockets. One is a ruger #1 and the other is an old custom mauser bench rifle that my grandfather built. They both shoot nosler bt @ 4100 fps with no signs of pressure. Mine I use H380 the other I use AA2350. I had mine at one time going 4300 all measured with a Pact model 1 but once the temp. went above 80 it was hard to open so I backed them off. Terminal effect is just what Long Time Long Ranger said one second they are there the next they are gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also be careful of the richochet that is why I went to the nosler. AS for acuracy the mauser was the most accurate gun I had 5 shots into .282 then my girlfriend put 5 shots right after me into .189 all at 100yds. and the ruger will put 5 shots today into .6 thats after a counted 1483 rds. and 5 trips praire dog hunting. Treat them right and they will last along time.

The 52 gr. Speer HP(FB)s (#1035) are varmint bullets with match-grade accuracy, and they are more explosive than V-MAXes. They are what both my .22-250 Rem. and my .220 Swift prefer.

Good Luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.