22 Nosler Loads?

Can't say I've ever seen this out of any rifle I have shot...have seen it with
non-fletched arrows....keyholing...keyhole....
Every round from the Nosler box
of 85gr RDF @ 2700fps....very obvious that they wont shoot thruthis barrel...not sure the twist....will need to check it...
But...at least I have 20 pieces of brass to reload...if I decide to buy dies and play....
View attachment 359792
I guess it wasn't a total loss....as the bullets that did hit 'around the target' were 'pointing towards the POA'..
Ya My dad has seen that in the army when a barrel was toast! Perhaps accuracy by volume hahaha

Decided to run borescope and found an ugly mess......I'm hoping the barrel 'isn't as pitted' as it looks....lots of clumpy areas.....hopefully it's being dissolved right now....
Didn't test for twist but got a couple pics...seems to be several grooves in this barrel.....
Photo_20220420164925.jpgPhoto_20220420164905.jpg
Seems decent at the leade...as it was just rechambered from 222mag to a 223 rem to a 22nosler.....so the chamber and throat are new....
Don't see any firecracking.....

Well...bought some dies today....getting ready to reload some rounds...
Curious if any of you boys/girls have shot any 45gr sp...as it is what I have on the self to get going....
Also curious I anyone has run rl15 with your rounds....as I have 5# ready to blow thru the barrel....not looking for perfect loads...starting point....

Also....this barrel is a 12 twist...
With a MICROGROOVE barrel...
Hoping to get it to shoot SOMETHING

Curious if any of you boys/girls have shot any 45gr sp...as it is what I have on the self to get going....
Also curious I anyone has run rl15 with your rounds....as I have 5# ready to blow thru the barrel....not looking for perfect loads...starting point....

I havent tried that unfortunately. I tried IMR4895,Varget, IMR3031. Maybe look up some burn rates and that should help a little

If they still make them the old Hornady 50gr SX should be impressive in this combo.

I found some 53gr vmax.....loaded some test rounds....to the pit...

Tested....28.5 thru 30.6gr R15..no pressures....50yd target
1....29.5-2988fps
2....30-3031fps
3....30.2-3053fps
4....30.4-3071fps
5....30.6-3095fps
Shots 1 2 3...a slight horizontal hole
Shot 4...1/2 low of 1 2 3...
Shot 5...back thru 1 2 3 hole...unless it went directly thru hole 4.....but of course I could have missed the entire 14"x 28" paper target......don't know..but doubtful..
Not up to what Nosler says for fps of a 55gr bullet....but I have more to test...

Last edited:
I found some 53gr vmax.....loaded some test rounds....to the pit...

Tested....28.5 thru 30.6gr R15..no pressures....50yd target
1....29.5-2988fps
2....30-3031fps
3....30.2-3053fps
4....30.4-3071fps
5....30.6-3095fps
Shots 1 2 3...a slight horizontal hole
Shot 4...1/2 low of 1 2 3...
Shot 5...back thru 1 2 3 hole...unless it went directly thru hole 4.....but of course I could have missed the entire 14"x 28" paper target......don't know..but doubtful..
Not up to what Nosler says for fps of a 55gr bullet....but I have more to test...
Ya, With the 55gr Sierra blitz kings I am around the 3300 area no preassure signs. I am using imr4895 i think. 5 round group was under .6in at 100yd. But I had to work up too. I set the COAL to the max saami that was in the nosler book. I think 2.75??? It was near the top of the max area so that was nice.

Has anyone had experience with the Noveske 22 nosler complete upper? Just came across one and not sure if I want to keep it or move it.