22 LR hollow point suggestions

I'm currently using 40 grain CCI blazer lead round nose from my CZ 455 with very good accuracy but shots (other than head) on ground hogs at distance are not quick killing. I was wondering if anyone was using hollow points for ground hogs and what kind of accuracy they were getting?
I found and tried Remington CBee 22 hp but accuracy was unacceptable.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
AGUILA AMMUNITION
22 LR INTERCEPTOR 40 grain hollow point 1470 fps my cz 457 loves them they will destroy a rabbit head at 80yards

YELLOW JACKETS!!!!
Check out a few BRICKS we have stashed away.
Norma are very good for target, but Yellow Jackets are the best for hunting!

Attachments

• Rimfire.jpg
    Rimfire.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I actually like the Winchester segmented hollow points seem to hit a little harder than most or the newly returned aguila 30 grain solids at like 1700 fps you can look up the ballistics and they hit harder than anything else

This is a good post on just .22 rimfire.
Some are good for target and some for Game.
We look at it being both - Accuracy and Hitting Power.
Depends on your firearm. some like different bullets/cartridges than others.
We can only speak for our firearm.
Thompson Classic in .22 LR - AUSUME!!!
We are glad that we saved bricks. and glad that we sent a few boxes to others members to try out.
I already posted that Remington is not manufacturing Yellow Jackets anymore. (COST) I spoke with Rem and they have not a good answer.
Just wish that Rem would get there consumer advisers to put the Yellow Jacket back!!!!
If someone want to try a Yellow Jacket send us a PM and we may send you a box. We sent out boxes to other members as gifts with other purchases from us.

I have had very little luck with the Yellow Jackets out of any of my .22lr's. Accuracy was mediocre at best, although they do hit pretty hard. I think my favorites for hunting are the Velocitors & the segmented ammo.

When testing different ammo brands you *must* clean out the lube from the previous test before you test the next batch! Some brands use especially nice lubes on their bullets (Wolf, Eley, Lapua & CCI target ammo, to name a few) but if you don't do this, you can easily get false positives when one brand "uses" the good lube from a previous test but yet when you go to shoot it again, the accuracy goes down the tubes! When testing I will use some BoreTech Rimfire blend to clean the barrel, then fire at least 10 rounds of the ammo to be tested into the berm before the real test begins. It is time consuming but is the only way to be sure a particular brand of ammo really shoots in your rifle. Do note: the more accurate your rifle, the more important this becomes. It probably won't make a lot of difference in a stock 10/22 so unless you're using a custom barrel it might be a waste of time. Only way to tell is to try it! It can be very frustrating to shoot some Eley then shoot some cheapo ammo afterwards and it does great! You buy more of it but suddenly it doesn't shine anymore! Maybe the idea of using a home brew lube isn't a bad idea although it does sound messy. I want to be able to drop a few rounds in the pocket of my jeans a go on walk about, which isn't possible if you have to lube each round to maintain accy! Ah, the trials and tribulations of rimfires! Yet they are so much fun!
Cheers,
crkckr

I have owned a great many 22 rimfire rifles. All brands, all qualities. Aside from CCI Stingers, which shoot good to great in some and really poor in others, this whole business of testing dozens of brands is just for shitz and giggles. Winchester X-Pert hollow point has shot good to great in every rifle. It is inexpensive and has great terminal performance. It is what i use for high volume pest control and for game. Many others, like the segmented rounds, subonics, shorts etc all shoot good too.

Now competitive shooting is different, there make, lot and testing is worthwhile but for the average hunting round or casual plinking, all thai testing is just for the fun of it. It doesn't make enough difference to be worth the work, outside of pure interest.

It's interesting that you had winchester as the hottest. I have a few boxes (500) of winchester ammo from 92 -95 that is noticeably quieter than any other high velocity ammo that I have. When shot across the chronograph it was about 150 FPS slower than CCI, Federal or Remington. The recent manufacturer winchester is faster than the other 3 . As mentioned there is lot to lot difference also. A person could spend a lifetime testing without a definite winner. Our rifle team had a ammo supplier that would let us test fore different lots,then buy 100,000 rounds from the lot we liked.
First: Please accept my apology for getting so long-winded on your post? You just nailed one of my favorite topics. 🎯
You're right. I've seen what you say on multiple occasions. Sometimes the audible difference in rounds from the same box is deafening. One thing I've decided about this type of testing: If you go into it with a personal favorite you may be disappointed before you're finished! 😄 The one thing I found to be iron-clad: IMO Ammo for our beloved .22 rimfire varies in quality & performance FAR more than factory centerfire ammo!
I will be looking forward to your results. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it!

Testing is fine but can get both complicated and expensive. A great deal depends on how accurate your rifle is and how well you can shoot it! Going thru hundreds of rounds in your box stock (whatever) brand of rifle is very likely a waste of time. That said, trying a few different brands of what you want to shoot isn't going to hurt anything or break the bank. I've yet to find any rifle that didn't like some brand better than the others. It all comes down to what you want from your rifle and what you're willing to put into it!
Cheers,
crkckr

Going through a complicated testing procedure isn't going to do much for your box stock .22 rimfire rifle. While I've yet to find a .22 rifle that doesn't have some kind of preference when it comes to ammo, the difference can be little to very little! It all depends on several factors, such as, what is the accuracy potential of the rifle, how well can the shooter shoot and always, exactly what does the owner expect from the rifle? Do you want to shoot bugholes at 25 yards? 50 yards? Are you even able to shoot bugholes?

There are quite a few rifles that have a reputation for very good accuracy and of course there's always the custom route that can be taken (trust me, it's a rabbit hole!). If you're looking for the utmost in accuracy then the testing procedure I listed in post #75 is a must. You'll spend time and money testing then will have to buy a bunch of whatever ammo "wins" the test because when they clean the machine or have to replace parts, it may not be the same ammo it was before! Or maybe the guy didn't hold his tongue right when he switched the machine on! Who knows? But chasing that last few thousandth of an inch can be downright consuming when it comes to your time and money, since the best shooting ammo is never going to be what's cheap and easy to get!

Yes, it can be very rewarding when you get your rifle to shoot *consistent* 1/4" groups (one quarter inch group does not make your rifle a 1/4" shooter!). And just about any rifle that will shoot one brand that well will usually (very important word there, usually) shoot any other decent ammo pretty well, too. Eley, Lapua, CCI target, Wolf target, none of these are cheap by any means but it's the price you pay willingly once you've fallen down that rabbit hole!

Besides which, stuff like this is what keeps me off the streets! Fact is, I'm about ready to dive down another rabbit hole today as I'm going to pick up my Ruger Precision in .22 Mag! I do love doing stuff like this!
Cheers,
crkckr

As to making Hollow Points or flat points out of standard lead round nose. I've done a fair amount of testing this, although I made my own hollow pointing bits and sometimes use my Dremel table saw & a jig to make flat points. In general, I have found that every ammo I've tested shot better after such treatment when compared to it's stock counterpart! Of course, the big question is, why?

I have a couple of ideas that may or may be valid. First, the bullet may be getting a little obduration during the hollow pointing process. The other idea is that the bullet is getting seated a bit deeper and tighter in the case mouth. I'm not at all sure which it is and could very well be both! Or maybe something I haven't even considered! I'm open to suggestions.

Even bullets with an existing hollow point will shoot smaller groups when the hollow point is made more uniform and usually a bit wider than stock. Sometimes it shoots a LOT better and sometimes just a little better but it's always easy to spot the modified bullets on paper!

I would like to get one of the kits one of these days as I think the bullets will come out even more uniform as opposed to my trying to hold a nail that's been ground to a shape I like and tapping it in gently with a hammer! Why yes, Virgina, I do always wear safety glasses! I've never had one go off and have never had one that failed to fire in the gun so I must be doing something right!

The only problem is that it's labor intensive and can eat up a fair amount of time! I think it's worth it, YMMV.
Cheers,
crkckr

It's a very strange phenomenon that I really cannot explain but it shows up on paper over and over. Even on factory hollow point ammo that I use a tool to uniform (and usually expand) the factory HP, which is often filled with lube. Even Stingers do better after a few gentle taps with the hammer. Not sure if the bullet is expanding and engraving the lands better or if it's because the bullet is seated in the case a little better or what, but it definitely works. Which is why when you read the ads for commercial kits they often call them "accurizer" kits or something similar. Just more rimfire weirdness going on!
Cheers,
crkckr

The Fed Auto match Waltz HP'd from walmart's working great for me as mentioned earlier. Some of the cheapest loads as far as I've seen. Even through different lots accuracy and velocity is the same (so far thank God). Can't say enough about Waltz HP'r. Hugely valuable for terminal effect. Buddy of mine who is not easily impressed bought one right after our first prairie dog shooting session together.

We all know that lot-to-lot consistency is not easily achieved with 22's. I had some HV Aguila that shot great but the next lot was not good. Darn shame that the manufacturers have not found a way to make different lots more consistent.

Last edited: