22 LR hollow point suggestions

Like the CCI all copper 21 grain bullet, the Aguila is not espevially accurate out of any of .22 pistols or rifles! Whike I have one rifle that is especially accurate with most .22lr ammo, even it doesn't shoot either ammo well at all. While I've heard others say that both bullets shoot well out of their .22's, that has not been my experiences at all and neither one is suitable for hunting any living creature. I have 3 Ruger 10/22's (actually only 2 are Rugers, the third is a copy of the 10/22 in stainless steel by AMT. I've customized it a bit and it is extremely accurate!), a JC Higgens single shot, and 5 .22 pistols and none of them want anything to do with either bullet, sad to say, because I like the Aguila SSS Super Sniper 60 gr bullet. Oh well!
Cheers,
crkckr

Like the CCI all copper 21 grain bullet, the Aguila is not espevially accurate out of any of .22 pistols or rifles! Whike I have one rifle that is especially accurate with most .22lr ammo, even it doesn't shoot either ammo well at all. While I've heard others say that both bullets shoot well out of their .22's, that has not been my experiences at all and neither one is suitable for hunting any living creature. I have 3 Ruger 10/22's (actually only 2 are Rugers, the third is a copy of the 10/22 in stainless steel by AMT. I've customized it a bit and it is extremely accurate!), a JC Higgens single shot, and 5 .22 pistols and none of them want anything to do with either bullet, sad to say, because I like the Aguila SSS Super Sniper 60 gr bullet. Oh well!
Cheers,
crkckr
Over the years I have found that rifles and pistols all each like or dislike different brands and varieties of ammunition. I have also found that rifle barrels are also so fussy that even ammo coming from a different lot number of the exact same ammo that was shooting sub zero moa with one lot number will not come anywhere close to what the previous lot number would do. Not long ago I had several boxes of Winchester Silvertip 22LR that would shoot sub moa at 100 yards, I used that segmented ammo to shoot a lot of woodchucks on a neighbors farm. I was so happy with the performance that I bought a brick only to find out that my Tikka didn't like this lot number as well and instead of shooting sub moa would only shoot right at 1 moa. Still good at 100 yards but not as good as the same ammo of the previous batch did. I see Aguila .22 ammo mentioned as not being accurate. It shoots sub moa out of the Tikka, maybe not quite as small a group as with SK or Ely but it will take the head off of a squirrel at 100 yards. I have a friend who I shoot with a lot and his Ruger 10/22 absolutely loves Aguila and shoots 0.5 moa at 100 yards with it. My point is that different barrels pretty much all like different varieties of ammo to shoot their best. In order to find what your particular rifle likes you need to try different ammo. We do it with our high power rifles, and our .22's are not any different.

I recently decided to run a few (14 so far) different. 22 ammos through the chronograph and an excel sheet that I made up to evaluate my hand loads. Used 3 different target rifles. I didn't try any stingers,because I have stuck one in a bents chamber and it's kind of scary getting them out with a cleaning rod.

The most accurate round in 2 rifles was some Eloy ammo from the 70's that I've squirreld away . It was also the lowest es/sd of all the ammo that I tried. The Aguila hp ammo that the OP mentioned was a close second shooting quite well in all 3 rifles. Really well in my Ruger Precision and 10/22 . The Aguila also had the most ft. Lbs of energy of all rounds tested.

Again, this is an ongoing test,and I have a lot more ammo to test. And rimfire ammo does vary from lot to lot,so it's probably just an exercise in futility. With bow season starting all testing will probably be on hold until spring,but it will continue.

I made this so I can turn any ammo I want into hollow or flat point. I've found there's no difference in POI or precision, but they drop faster so presumably they have a lower BC. It's basically a copy of Neal Waltz's die. I couldn't get ahold of him to buy one, but if you can get your hands on one it's definitely worth a try.

These pics show CCI Standard before and after forming.

media-1696985019049-Jul_13_2022_8_36_PM.jpg
media-1696985022233-Jul_13_2022_8_36_PM.jpg
media-1696985024910-Jul_13_2022_8_36_PM.jpg

I made this so I can turn any ammo I want into hollow or flat point. I've found there's no difference in POI or precision, but they drop faster so presumably they have a lower BC. It's basically a copy of Neal Waltz's die. I couldn't get ahold of him to buy one, but if you can get your hands on one it's definitely worth a try.

These pics show CCI Standard before and after forming.

View attachment 500785View attachment 500786View attachment 500787
Very interesting. Any idea of the weight of the bullets after you hollow them out?

CCI Mini mags have always worked well for me. The chamber in my Cooper 57 is a match chamber so I'm limited somewhat with it, but it loves Eley, SK, and Lapua hp's, I like the high velocity rounds for hunting. Lapua and SK are non-existent if they even make them anymore, but Y2K was a godsend for me as I piled up all kinds of stuff that I'm still using. Missed out on the tp run though.

I recently decided to run a few (14 so far) different. 22 ammos through the chronograph and an excel sheet that I made up to evaluate my hand loads. Used 3 different target rifles. I didn't try any stingers,because I have stuck one in a bents chamber and it's kind of scary getting them out with a cleaning rod.

The most accurate round in 2 rifles was some Eloy ammo from the 70's that I've squirreld away . It was also the lowest es/sd of all the ammo that I tried. The Aguila hp ammo that the OP mentioned was a close second shooting quite well in all 3 rifles. Really well in my Ruger Precision and 10/22 . The Aguila also had the most ft. Lbs of energy of all rounds tested.

Again, this is an ongoing test,and I have a lot more ammo to test. And rimfire ammo does vary from lot to lot,so it's probably just an exercise in futility. With bow season starting all testing will probably be on hold until spring,but it will continue.
I enjoyed your post. A friend & I did the same thing over 2+ year span. We shot weekly, 12 months a year in all types of weather. We truly shot 1000's of rounds through revolvers, semi-auto pistols, several single-shot & semi-auto rifles with removable magazines & tube feeds
as well as longer barrels & shorter barrels. We used about every type of ammo available locally, (so "No, we did not use every manufacturer's offerings"). If your "go to" ammo didn't come in first it may simply be that it never got tested. (This testing was quite awhile back when ammo availability was much tighter than now) We did use various weights & HP's as well as RN. We each judged upon accuracy, reliability, & how well each fed, (where applicable). As Teri Anne pointed out ammo CAN vary from lot - lot# & certsinly what one gun loves another another may absolutely hate, (either in accuracy &/or basic operation). Weather of course plays in & dirt can affect not only accuracy but basic gun operation as well. In our unbiased independent tests it was our personal opinions & consensus that OVERALL, of those we tested: The Remington Golden Bullet 40 grain round nose was our favorite with Federal's 40 grain round nose "Blue Box" (Champion) a VERY CLOSE second. Our third choice was the Remington Thunderbolt. We thought that Winchester ammo seemed slightly hotter than others & shot very well at long distance. We got varying results with Aguila ammo. It was very reliable.
We encountered several rounds in those two years that would not fire (even in another weapon) but seemingly fewer of those in Aguila than the others with Winchester a very close second.
In OUR tests we did not find 'the perfect ammo that was all things to each of us' but we thought the 40 grain Golden Bullet came close.
In all fairness: At that time many brands/weights of ammo were not available to us AND admittedly Aguila likely didn't quite get a fair shake due to their wide diversity of ammos which we could not procure.
Actual results may vary of course. Your firearm, ammo, weather, gun care habits & abilities may yield different results. It was quite expensive & very time consuming but lots of fun!
Good luck with your testing. I am very anxious to see your results after you've finished. Enjoy! 🎯

I enjoyed your post. A friend & I did the same thing over 2+ year span. We shot weekly, 12 months a year in all types of weather. We truly shot 1000's of rounds through revolvers, semi-auto pistols, several single-shot & semi-auto rifles with removable magazines & tube feeds
as well as longer barrels & shorter barrels. We used about every type of ammo available locally, (so "No, we did not use every manufacturer's offerings"). If your "go to" ammo didn't come in first it may simply be that it never got tested. (This testing was quite awhile back when ammo availability was much tighter than now) We did use various weights & HP's as well as RN. We each judged upon accuracy, reliability, & how well each fed, (where applicable). As Teri Anne pointed out ammo CAN vary from lot - lot# & certsinly what one gun loves another another may absolutely hate, (either in accuracy &/or basic operation). Weather of course plays in & dirt can affect not only accuracy but basic gun operation as well. In our unbiased independent tests it was our personal opinions & consensus that OVERALL, of those we tested: The Remington Golden Bullet 40 grain round nose was our favorite with Federal's 40 grain round nose "Blue Box" (Champion) a VERY CLOSE second. Our third choice was the Remington Thunderbolt. We thought that Winchester ammo seemed slightly hotter than others & shot very well at long distance. We got varying results with Aguila ammo. It was very reliable.
We encountered several rounds in those two years that would not fire (even in another weapon) but seemingly fewer of those in Aguila than the others with Winchester a very close second.
In OUR tests we did not find 'the perfect ammo that was all things to each of us' but we thought the 40 grain Golden Bullet came close.
In all fairness: At that time many brands/weights of ammo were not available to us AND admittedly Aguila likely didn't quite get a fair shake due to their wide diversity of ammos which we could not procure.
Actual results may vary of course. Your firearm, ammo, weather, gun care habits & abilities may yield different results. It was quite expensive & very time consuming but lots of fun!
Good luck with your testing. I am very anxious to see your results after you've finished. Enjoy! 🎯
It's interesting that you had winchester as the hottest. I have a few boxes (500) of winchester ammo from 92 -95 that is noticeably quieter than any other high velocity ammo that I have. When shot across the chronograph it was about 150 FPS slower than CCI, Federal or Remington. The recent manufacturer winchester is faster than the other 3 . As mentioned there is lot to lot difference also. A person could spend a lifetime testing without a definite winner. Our rifle team had a ammo supplier that would let us test fore different lots,then buy 100,000 rounds from the lot we liked.