22 for daughters

My oldest is about to turn 7 and finally able to get out to the range with me. Her favorite .22 is a 4.5" upper on an ar, it's light enough and weight is within her arms that she doesn't wear out holding it up. Plus you can use speed loaders to keep up with them.

My daughter picked a hot pink laminate Cricket for her first rifle. I took her to the LGS when she was five years old and that's what she picked. She wouldn't be caught with anything hot pink anymore, but she loves that little rifle.

Now her .22 of choice is a Ruger 10/22 varmint, and hunting rifle of choice is the Howa Alpine .308 Win.

Attachments

• 20210319_083025.jpg
    20210319_083025.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 100
Just starting to teach my 9 year old grand nephew to shoot. Picked up a Rascal for him. Self cocks, decent peep site, drilled and tapped for scope or Red Dot, open sites can be left on with scope, and the accutrigger on it is a far better trigger than the cricket, Henry or Papoose.

First couple of times out we used a Savage MK2 with the scope moved way back to make sure he was going to like shooting. Off the bench the over long LOP was not really a factor. The Rascal however is much
easier for him to shoot off sticks, off hand etc.

20230715_122046.jpg

Last edited:
Got a Win 67A for our granddaughter, it's what they were made for. She doesn't get to shoot grandma's custom 10/22 (built for small bore silhouettes) until she can shoot the 67A proficiently.

Lever guns are always a great choice and collectable. I had a Marlin Growing up. Squirrels, rabbits, and the occasional black bird feared me. I wish I still had it. It got mixed in with a bunch of guns that were sold when my dad passed. If you keep the rifle when they are older, make sure it's written in big bold letters where those guns go when you go. Enjoy

Every night for the last week or so my youngest (6) has asked if we can go shooting. A pink .22 rascal is what she's shooting now and that kid is lethal with the peep.

She has shot my 6.5-284 suppressed off tripod, and that's what she'll be using for whitetail this fall, but she can practice much cheaper with the .22😃

First shot she took with it at 30 yards…
IMG_6647.jpeg

I'll change direction a bit here. If you can find a pair of S&W 18-2 or 18-3 in 98% . When I was old enough to own a handgun they sold for $175 and in good condition go for north of a grand today.

Not long range,but it's been my experience that a shooter that is good with a handgun will be a great rifle shooter. The opposite isn't always true. I personally think a handgun is tougher to shoot. How many people can hold sub MOA with a handgun?

I really like my cz 457. You can buy a scout stock for it they show up on the rimfire sites for cheap then when they get older swap it back out

I also have twins, and here in Arizona the age at which you can hunt big game is 10 years old. I bought them a pair of Crickets with receiver sights, one in 22LR and one in .22 Win RFM. Here the .22 Magnum is legal for javelina and at the time turkey.
My philosophy was to teach them how to shoot well with receiver sights before allowing them to use optical sights. That worked really well and one of them became the mid range prone (600 yard) state champion using receiver sights. He also killed his first big game animal at age ten with the 22 mag cricket.

Attachments

• SCAN0053.jpeg
    SCAN0053.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 56
Lever guns are always a great choice and collectable. I had a Marlin Growing up. Squirrels, rabbits, and the occasional black bird feared me. I wish I still had it. It got mixed in with a bunch of guns that were sold when my dad passed. If you keep the rifle when they are older, make sure it's written in big bold letters where those guns go when you go. Enjoy
The problem I have seen with lever guns and youngsters is some have trouble safely letting the hammer down on a live round .