22 ARC

Got a Ruger American Ranch. Have only used 88 gr. factory loads so far. Will stick with the same when I start loading. Forster has their BR die sets out.....

Starting a new build in 22ARC. I wanted it in a bolt gun but because I had a new stripped billet receiver I decided to go with gas impingement instead..we'll see.

Looked at re-chambering a .224 Valkyrie Howa based bolt action. Looks like a one turn set-back will be required. Which is better than the new barrel that a .22 PPC conversion is going to require.

Anybody messing with the 22 ARC yet? Just picked one up to play with and seeing if anybody has any data yet.

The Hornady manual (online) has Load info for both gas guns and bolt guns. Hodgdon Reloading site has load data up to 51,200 PSI to keep it safe for Gas guns. The 22 ARC chamber favors the secant ogive bullets allowing you to load to full 2.26 COAL. If you use tangent ogive bullets like the Sierra Match Kings or FMJs - your max COAL is limited to 2.16-2.18 COAL because of the ogive length.

If you measure by base to ogive, keep the BTO length to under 1.775 and you'll be just off the lands ( for most chambers).

my leetle Ruger.
IMG_1574.jpg

I've got a Ruger American G2 Predator model that I'm liking very well. The caliber is great, but the rifle needs a new trigger. I've got so used to a 4 Oz. trigger, I can't stand the 2.5 lb. trigger on the Ruger, especially with the creep.
I'm testing loads with bullets from 55 gr. to 88 gr. The sweet spot seems to be between 75 and 88 gr. The factory Hornady 88 gr. ELD-M shoots really good out of the 22" barrel at 2765 fps. I'm loading it up to 2850 fps with Reloder 15 powder. The other powder it likes is the Hodgdon LeverRevolution.
I'm still working on loads but I'm already getting .5" groups with the best loads.

Jump in, the water's fine :)