6 ARC Question

Energy was a decent metric back in the day before bullet technology had made much headway. Now, it's relatively meaningless on its own. Impact velocity needs matched with bullet choice and shot placement. An eldx or eldm behind the shoulder, impacting above 1800fps will do the job every time. Doesn't matter if it's a 6mm, 7mm, or .30 cal. Keep it within the designed bullet velocity window for expansion, put it in the pocket, and you'll be in good shape. Your biggest issue typically won't be bullet performance at 500, but shot placement.

Energy was a decent metric back in the day before bullet technology had made much headway. Now, it's relatively meaningless on its own. Impact velocity needs matched with bullet choice and shot placement. An eldx or eldm behind the shoulder, impacting above 1800fps will do the job every time. Doesn't matter if it's a 6mm, 7mm, or .30 cal. Keep it within the designed bullet velocity window for expansion, put it in the pocket, and you'll be in good shape. Your biggest issue typically won't be bullet performance at 500, but shot placement.

Arguably the most well said paragraph in forum history in regards to bullet performance on game. Might as well close the thread lol.

I agree with you until the last line - lots of commonly used hunting cartridges that can hit at 500 yards are not "effective killers (however you define that)" at 500 yards. 6mm ARC is a great example of a cartridge (especially in a bolt gun) that can hit at 500 yards but I would be concerned about its ability to kill cleanly at 500. Same with 65 Grendel. Same with 223, and so on.

I agree with you until the last line - lots of commonly used hunting cartridges that can hit at 500 yards are not "effective killers (however you define that)" at 500 yards. 6mm ARC is a great example of a cartridge (especially in a bolt gun) that can hit at 500 yards but I would be concerned about its ability to kill cleanly at 500. Same with 65 Grendel. Same with 223, and so on.
I understand your point, and will clarify that statement. The 500 yard comment was specifically aimed at the OP's question of the 6arc. If he's reaching 600 yards at 1800fps, which is the lower velocity threshold for the bullet to perform properly, then he'll be well within the threshold at 500. So the bullet performance at 500 should be adequate. However, making an accurate cold bore 500 yard shot with a relatively slow cartridge requires some measure of skill, which makes the shot placement the most difficult part. The bullet if placed properly will do its job at 500, but it may be hard to place there.

I wasn't trying to state that all bullets will work at 500 yards out of all calibers; this was a case specific statement. I would not make the same claim for a 6.5 Grendel or a 223, as those cartridges will likely not propel a bullet fast enough to be within the proper impact velocity threshold for a given bullet at 500 yards.

Again, it's only about matching impact velocity to bullet construction and performance. The caliber that sends the bullet is irrelevant. Case in point; the lauded 77gr TMK that had been used to kill a ridiculous amount of large game can be fired from a variety of .224 calibers. The generally accepted minimum threshold for expansion and fragmentation of that bullet is 1900fps, although some forum reports have it as low as 1600.

A 223 sends the 77tmk at around 2750 fps, which (depending on atmospherics) gets a person to 425 yards before dropping below 1900fps. Making a 425 yard shot on a big game animal with a 223 in field conditions could be tricky, and wind will kick the snot out of that bullet compared to something like a 212gr eldx, but if you can deliver the bullet properly it should have proper terminal performance.

Now look at the same bullet shot from an 8 twist 22-250. A forum scrounge of not loads shows approximately 3150fps muzzle velocity for these bullets. This muzzle velocity will carry the 77tmk to just past 600 yards before dipping below the 1900fps threshold. Same bullet, different case and starting muzzle velocity makes for a radically different Maximum range.

I think you'll be just fine using the 6 ARC on whitetails. There was a picture of a guy a couple years back that killed a brown bear here in AK with a 6 ARC. That I do not recommend. Come to find out, my oldest son when to high school with the guy and chatted with him about it. I'll just say, it took a few shots to put it down.

For deer, I have killed a few whitetails growing up in AR with my dad's .243 Win. I thought of buying a Howa Mini in 6 ARC as I really like my mini in 6.5 Grendel. I've also been eyeing a 1:8 twist .243 Win in a Tikka or Remington 700. Went to look for Varget on Saturday, walked in to one of the local places that has guns and groceries here and they had a managers sale. I walked out with a Tikka T3X Lite SS for $605. It was marked down from $868.
That's a good price for a tikka. Was it at that bear themed costco carrying store?

BTW the rifle where I would have the most confidence in making a square hit off a cold
bore is my 20" barrel Tikka CTR 6.5 Creedmoor. It's a true sub MOA gun. I've shot 20-30 shot groups and been 0.85-0.9 MOA.

That Howa mini 6 ARC is a shooter but my Tikka beats it out.