2011 Wyoming Antelope

coyotecrazy

I was lucky enough to draw an antelope tag for area 72 my first year applying. I went out knowing that there were a lot of goats in that area and I saw plenty of nice ones. This one caught my eye saturday night the 24 of September but couldn't get a good shot on him. Went out again sunday morning and spotted him in the same area. After quite a stock on him i finally got my chance and made the most of it. He is not the biggest one I have ever shot but by far the most unique.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 118
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 114
I hope you had as much fun as I have had in the past. I just love the spot & stalk hunting of Antelope the crawling and sneeking in for the shot & the great views of the country. I hope you get to do more western hunting in the future. By the way a nice buck & you will always remember it & the smell of the sage every time I get out west I grab a hand full and smell it & look at the beautiful vistas. Good Hunting.

The gun is a Ruger M77 Mark II in 280 Rem. I'm shooting a 139gr Hornady SST with 45.5gr of IMR 4064. Shot was ranged at 303 yards. Wind was a very light breeze from left to right.

I am getting just under 1 in at 100 yards. I really like the way the SST's shoot and more importanly the way they perform on antelope. I may tweak this load some just to see if i can make it shoot any better before next season. I may also try some different bullets and powders just to see if i can get some smaller groups but for a completely stock rifle I really like this Ruger.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.