Who Has Purchased Dies, Then Purchased a Rifle For Them?

Mike, my procedure with JGS goes like this, Sarah is the person I deal with.

a. I get a copy of a reamer they have on file

b. I make changes to the reamer print in RED INK

c. They send me a corrected reamer print with my ok to send to production

d. I get the reamer

I found out in the past, that over the phone changes in a reamer print leades to major problems as the print is already in the Q or is on a guys desk that is running the NC grinder. The person on the phone has to make a note, than at some point in the day, has to track down the Print.

I change:

A. web dimension at the .200 line, based on brass that I will use, Winchester is much smaller than Lapua
B. Neck Dia
C. leade angle
D. Throat dia

I specify that I will use PTG reamer pilot bushings.

So, the over the phone changes, are helter skelter. I make darn sure I have dies on hand to measure the dia of the full length sizer before I choose which brass I will use.

I consider Nosler and Federal brass junk soft with Norma not being far behind. I tend to lean hard on high pressure loads where the accuracy seems to be the most consistent....just my way of doing things.

Hope this helps

Keith

Mike, my procedure with JGS goes like this, Sarah is the person I deal with.

a. I get a copy of a reamer they have on file

b. I make changes to the reamer print in RED INK

c. They send me a corrected reamer print with my ok to send to production

d. I get the reamer

I found out in the past, that over the phone changes in a reamer print leades to major problems as the print is already in the Q or is on a guys desk that is running the NC grinder. The person on the phone has to make a note, than at some point in the day, has to track down the Print.

I change:

A. web dimension at the .200 line, based on brass that I will use, Winchester is much smaller than Lapua
B. Neck Dia
C. leade angle
D. Throat dia

I specify that I will use PTG reamer pilot bushings.

So, the over the phone changes, are helter skelter. I make darn sure I have dies on hand to measure the dia of the full length sizer before I choose which brass I will use.

I consider Nosler and Federal brass junk soft with Norma not being far behind. I tend to lean hard on high pressure loads where the accuracy seems to be the most consistent....just my way of doing things.

Hope this helps

Keith
Well that's the way it should have been, but that didn't happen. They lost the order and didn't want to the order place back in line. 90 days was the wait at that time. They finally own up that they had lost or missed placed the order. How that? Anyway I lost my place and continue to way for the reamer. We have it now.

I have 7 Rem Br. Dies and brass that my dad had, and I have been thinking of building one. 👍
Maybe one of these days.

Attachments

• 20240503_185111.jpg
    20240503_185111.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 9
Oh yeah, many times. I have a full reloading setup for the Winchester 401 Self Loader.....just looking for a rifle without a cracked stock/forend. I'm starting to think that might be a lost cause.

Tony
I saw one about a year or so ago, and it was in decent shape. However, it has long since been sold. If hear or see of one again, I'll keep you in mind.

Just curious how many have purchased a used set of dies or maybe a shotshell loader at a yard sale, estate sale, Craig's List, private, or from some other used source, and then discovered you just had to have a firearm to put those dies to good use? Over the decades, I have bought boxes of various mixed reloading supplies from the above sources, only to have a few dies of calibers I did not currently own. Some were traded or placed on the shelf, but some gave me an itch that later just had to be scratched. After all, I had the dies already.

Confess, I know I can't be the only one.
You ain't alone. I have a 3 yr old new set of Hornady Custom dies waiting on me to build a .264 Win Mag. Planning ahead…🤷‍♂️