2008Elk/2MD/WT vs 300 RUM

Re: 2008 Elk/Mulie vs 300 RUM

Thanks for the kind words. The mulie is at the taxidermists and I am looking forward to it getting back to me. Getting a decent mulie for the wall has honestly been a big hurdle for me to overcome - even more so than my bighorn sheep. Finally !!!

The Bansners stock (after all the fussing with inletting (read: not drop in), bedding and painting) is simply the best I have ever handled. However, it is custom fit perfectly to me. As you can see, I do not have a muzzle brake with this rifle, but with it's 14" LOP and 1" pac decel pad, it shoots like a dream. No issues with it all, so far.

Getting a decent mulie for the wall has honestly been a big hurdle for me to overcome - even more so than my bighorn sheep.

A large mule deer has always been on the top of my list. Hopefully my day will come soon.

Is that the same Bansner stock they use on the Extreme Sheep Hunter? That is the only one I am familiar with. Good to know on the drop in/not so much...inlet.

K.....
AWESOME! Both animals are great.
I have been trying to find some 180 AB's for my RUM-no luck.
By the way...can I come with you next year ;)

Thanks. Seeing as how you are not too far away, perhaps we can work something out, eh ?

Re: 2008 Elk/Mulie/Big WT vs 300 RUM

Well I just don't know if my season could ever get any better.

After a spell of warm weather, cold and snow finally blew in. Nov 7, I was sitting in my treestand at first light to see what the prerut might bring. This big boy came out at the far end of the field and I took him at 340 yards with my 300 RUM. My rifle is zeroed at 330 yards so the shot was comfortable. The 180 Accubond hit him just behind the left shoulder and through the knuckle on the off shoulder - dropped him right where he stood, but no exit ! He grosses 181" and nets out of the book, but I could care less. He's the biggest WT I have seen, and I got him.

00570004.jpg

Last edited:
Re: 2008 Elk/Mulie/Big WT vs 300 RUM

when does the vet pull the shoes from yer ***? ;)

LOL No kidding, Great job Kalishnikov! Thats a totaly incredible year.

So whats next? just waxing up the boots for next Aug.25 I guess... hey whats your address I'll come pick you up!

Awsome job again

BS1

Re: 2008Elk/Mule/WT vs 300 RUM

Horseshoes is right ! What's next ? Late season mule deer rut hunt - we'll see if my luck holds...

Re: 2008Elk/Mule/WT vs 300 RUM

K, you should have started a new topic for that one. Give it the credit it deserved. That is a dandy buck.

Good job.

Well the season finale went as good as I could of hoped for.

I pre-scouted the unit thoroughly starting in September and got permission on some prime habitat. I bowhunted the unit earlier in the year, but did not find any shooter bucks. As the weather dropped to well below zero, I left for my final four day hunt of 2008 starting Nov 19. The first day started well, with close to a dozen bucks (and two potential shooters) spotted early in the day, with several more that have some potential in the future. At the end of the first day, I spotted a beauty bedded out in the open. After closely looking him over, and seeing extra points and stickers, I decided I needed to get closer for a better look. Well once in position, it didn't take much more to convince me he was a shooter. 8x8 and grosses 178" and a battler with many points broken and chipped! What a season for both me and my new 300 RUM.....rest assured, I have been buying plenty of lottery tickets.

No1PB190035.jpg

I knew you had either problems, or were otherwise tied up!
Not to worry.....
my Mom lives over by West Ed Mall, and haven't been up for a visit for awhile.
Have to pick up some more MAG primers-if I can find any!
Back to work tomorrow for ten, then five off. Will be a good chance to get some Christmas shopping in as well.
I am hoping the Tikka T3 Lite in 22-250 I won will be here soon. Between it and the AR 180 B, I should be ready for 'yotes!

Will give ya a call....
LeRoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.