2008Elk/2MD/WT vs 300 RUM

Kalashnikov

Nov 7 BIG Whitetail on Page 3

Nov 19 Mule Deer #2 on Page 4

I took this herd bull as he trailed over 20 cows out of the timber on the evening of opening day rifle season. I was set up over some LR real estate, but I ended up taking him at a reasonable 386 yards. The 300 RUM and 180 accubond worked superbly. I took a spectacular 28" double drop tine velvet mulie on that trip as well, but that's another story.

ElkSept172008-3.jpg

Last edited:
Re: 2008 Elk vs 300 RUM

Congratulations on a great looking bull. You got your season over early huh.;)

Now you just need to get some pics of that double drop muley up so we can see them.

Thanks for the pic of the muley. That's an awesome buck.

Have you bought a lottery ticket lately? With your luck I would if I was you.;)

Nice animals! I bet they will be good eating, that alfalfa in the background of the Muley and the grass behind the elk. They will be some tasty vittles, thats for sure.

Nice job on the great trophies.

AJ

Re: 2008 Elk/Mulie vs 300 RUM

Thanks everyone..certainly a hunt of a lifetime.

Quite a trip!

Yes it was, but my personal success was only part of the trip. In total, our camp of four took two bull elk and all took great mulies in three days (plus 5 days of scouting and months of planning, of course). A quick addition allows us to claim (close to) 1000" of bone for the week.

Last edited:

I took this herd bull as he trailed over 20 cows out of the timber on the evening of opening day rifle season. While set up over some LR real estate, I ended up taking him at 386 yards. The 300 RUM and 180 accubond worked superbly. I took a spectacular 28" double drop tine velvet mulie on that trip as well, but that's another story.
2gsn77n.jpg

Nice Elk! Man some people! and that's a very nice mule deer. Congrats on a nice hunt!

Very nice looking animals. What a great season it's been for you so far. From what I can see, it looks like a very nice rifle as well.

CA. the gun is a basic, but pick of the litter, M700 SPS SS in 300 RUM. However, I carefully inletted and bedded it into a Bansners stock, and it shoots amazing with the factory tube and my 180 AB handloads. Leupie VXIII 4.5 -14 with TMR reticle and target turrets sitting in Talley LWT's.

BS1 - the bull scores 306". Not huge, but very respectable for the heavily pressured area I was hunting in. The rifle season opening on a Wednesday allowed us to get the jump on the forthcoming weekend warriors.

K, those are some fine animals. That muley is absolutely SICK. I'm stuck in an area with no mulies yet I am strangely attracted to them. I have a few on the wall but nothing like that.

Good Job

I thought that was a Bansner stock. With the pistol grip being so skinny on those do you have any problems with the bolt nob skinning up your first knuckle?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts