2 Antelope Bucks Down!

Tikkamike

I have an extra antelope buck tag this year. Nothing big in the area but hey its an extra antelope tag so why not?? My dad and I got over to douglas yesterday morning and met up with my friend whose family owns a ranch. We got out there and there were hunters everywhere so we worked our way onto the ranch and apparently the hunters surrounding the ranch had the antelope all kinds of nervous. so we decided since it was only a day hunt and not really a trophy area we were just going to shoot the first non yearling bucks we saw. They were extremely jumpy and the wind was blowing 15-20 mph. My dad shot his made a nice shot at 658 with his ultra light 300 wby. I spotted some and made a stalk on them and they popped out at about 200 I couldnt clear the brush so i just had to run to the edge of the hill spooking them and shot mine at 240. not far and not big goats but it was a blast. AND it was the third kill but first buck kill for my 338 Lapua....you will notice mine (second picture) has a rather large exit hole from the 300 SMK's
IMG_20101002_122651.jpg

IMG_20101002_132149.jpg

I got that pic on my phone while up huntin, couldnt reply from the woods, but thought it looked like it was hit hard, but seeing it on here it looks like a CRATER! Way to go Mike!!
What happened to your dads plan for whackin a goat with his 50?
I thought he was gonna use a forward observer and lob one in from ove the horizon:D.
Nice goats man. Tell your dad congrats too.

Well its just not ready. He just got his shooting bench that he had made for it so I think he's going to get going on it. We have more goats to shoot this weekend though so there's still a chance. I guess we will see

Looks like you guys had a good hunt. Do you ever put in for antelope tags there around Basin. I know I have seen a few groups of antelope somewhere between Worland and Greybull, but they are always out in someones hay field.

I will be rolling through Basin on the 17th, I'll be sure to Honk the horn when I do.

No I have never put in for the area right here by basin. It is hard to draw and not a lot of big antelope although a Guy in town did shoot number 4 in the state around here. Our family usually does party permits so we can hunt with my grandpa if we draw. Its better odds and more goats where we like to hunt. Notzhing super big maybe 15 inches there MIGHT be a 16" or 2 around I do t know though ... so what brings you through basin?

That's pretty much what I figured as far as antelope hunting around Basin.

Myself and my bro-in-law will pass through Basin on the way to our deer hunting area.

Yeah they seem to be sufficient I am going to try them out again this weekend I have one more Buck antelope tag. In fact as a party we have 5 bucks and a few Does to get so ill post some pics when I get back.

Good luck Mike.
If you get a chance to, try your 94 and pop its cherry with some Lev Rev 160's and post pics so I can cry. :D <------ see, Im green with envy.... If its too far away youve always got your Lapua, and it looks like its well proven in capable hands.
Your field artillery does kick *** and I cant wait to see what else you whack with that thing, but I Just figured a goat out to around 300ish with a 30-30 would be a heck of a challenge. Besides you may get to recover more than 1/2 a goat.......... hehehe. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.