1st Elk

Great bull! I love the picture with the horse. So many times the horse doesn't make it in the photos. In the Z's and I experiences the horse does all the work and we just have to shoot straight. We try and get our horses in lots of pictures where they helped us. Congrats on a fine hunt.

Last edited:
Great bull, congrats. did you see a lot of elk? Thanks.

The week started out on fire as we saw 68 on the first evening of the hunt. The weather was cold after 2" of snow in Cody (many more in the mountains) got them moving. It quickly shut off as the weather warmed rapidly. We saw 120ish elk over 4 days (I tagged out on day 4 of a 7 day hunt). The elk numbers tapered off dramatically as they laid in the timber to stay cool. Their movement was limited to first and last light basically. Either way it was really cool for me being my first elk hunt.

A couple days we saw more Griz than elk. Those things are everywhere.... I don't care what that Federal Judge says. I saw it with my own eyes on a 1 mile stretch of river.

Great bull! I love the picture with the horse. So many times the horse doesn't make it in the photos. In the Z's and I experiences the horse does all the work and we just have to shoot straight. We try and get our horses in lots of pictures where they helped us. Congrats on a fine hunt.

The horses get all the credit. This one, Roany, was like riding in a Cadillac. Amazing horse. Really responsive and we bonded immediately. It was one of many memories that made the hunt a success long before taking the elk. If not for the horses I don't know if I would have been successful. Going from 300' to 7K' is impossible to prepare for and I lost 30lbs to get in shape for this hunt. The energy savings is irreplaceable.

The week started out on fire as we saw 68 on the first evening of the hunt. The weather was cold after 2" of snow in Cody (many more in the mountains) got them moving. It quickly shut off as the weather warmed rapidly. We saw 120ish elk over 4 days (I tagged out on day 4 of a 7 day hunt). The elk numbers tapered off dramatically as they laid in the timber to stay cool. Their movement was limited to first and last light basically. Either way it was really cool for me being my first elk hunt.

A couple days we saw more Griz than elk. Those things are everywhere.... I don't care what that Federal Judge says. I saw it with my own eyes on a 1 mile stretch of river.
Great looking bull! Congratulations! I have hunted the Tin Pan and Tabletop areas there on horseback with archery equipment. Beautiful place. I have a friend that was an outfitter for 21 years there and still has all of his horses and equipment. We saw a couple of grizzly as well and lots of wolf tracks.

I just returned from my 1st elk hunt. I went with Wapiti Ridge out of Cody, Wyoming. We hunted for 7 days on the South Fork of the Shoshone River in the Washakie Wilderness. The experience far surpassed my expectations despite the slow hunting. The weather just isn't there yet to push the big herds through their migration. Regardless the guys got the job done and it was a great success.

Thanks to all of you that replied with advice, tips, etc. as I got ready. Thanks to this board for being such an amazing resource to prepare me for this adventure. I'm hooked on elk hunting.....don't know when I'll get back but someday for sure.

Rifle: Nosler M48 Liberty in 280AI
Bullet: Nosler 150gr Accubond LR
Distance: 300 yards
Double lung kill shot and didn't walk two steps.

Congrats!

Congrats on a great bull. You did well. I would say your probably ruined for life now.
I did that hunt a few times with JJ. Great memories.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.