180 Game Changer load data for 308 win

Wachsmann

Hello all,
Just trying to see if anyone is shooting this out of a 308win and if they had any load data with velocity numbers. Bought a box on a whim for fun and was looking around but haven’t found an exact load data for these. I did notice they seem to have a lot of bearing surface for a 180 grain bullet. Thanks.

Maybe this will help. Don't have anything on Game Changers.

Attachments

• 20240611_171336.jpg
    20240611_171336.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 67
So I did find some Sierra load data on the web and hodgens supplied data as well just not for the same bullet. I went with a grain below most of the data that I seen. One thing is the 180 grain game changer is not shaped like the rest of the high BC 180 grain bullets. It has an unusual amount of bearing surface and a sharper nose angle. I was actually hoping they would be closer to a SST or something like a 178ELDX but will see how they shoot. They do measure consistently though when seating so that’s a big plus. Loaded up some with IMR4895 and some H4895. I already know the hodgens will probably run slower. This was my experience with 168’s a while back and the charges are very similar but at least the hodgens is a temp stable powder. I pulled apart some Remington tipped 180 grain and they look much like an SST. Also had ball powder in those. Wish I knew what that was cause it produced no pressure and runs at 2640 in my 308. Has a greenish tent to it. And it is 42 grains. Plenty of room in the case for something like the 180GChg. With 1 grain less I don’t hear any shake at all in the case. I have other powders to try but just something different from what I’ve been doing.

So I did find some Sierra load data on the web and hodgens supplied data as well just not for the same bullet. I went with a grain below most of the data that I seen. One thing is the 180 grain game changer is not shaped like the rest of the high BC 180 grain bullets. It has an unusual amount of bearing surface and a sharper nose angle. I was actually hoping they would be closer to a SST or something like a 178ELDX but will see how they shoot. They do measure consistently though when seating so that's a big plus. Loaded up some with IMR4895 and some H4895. I already know the hodgens will probably run slower. This was my experience with 168's a while back and the charges are very similar but at least the hodgens is a temp stable powder. I pulled apart some Remington tipped 180 grain and they look much like an SST. Also had ball powder in those. Wish I knew what that was cause it produced no pressure and runs at 2640 in my 308. Has a greenish tent to it. And it is 42 grains. Plenty of room in the case for something like the 180GChg. With 1 grain less I don't hear any shake at all in the case. I have other powders to try but just something different from what I've been doing.
Walk us through how you develop a load please.

So I did find some Sierra load data on the web and hodgens supplied data as well just not for the same bullet. I went with a grain below most of the data that I seen. One thing is the 180 grain game changer is not shaped like the rest of the high BC 180 grain bullets. It has an unusual amount of bearing surface and a sharper nose angle. I was actually hoping they would be closer to a SST or something like a 178ELDX but will see how they shoot. They do measure consistently though when seating so that's a big plus. Loaded up some with IMR4895 and some H4895. I already know the hodgens will probably run slower. This was my experience with 168's a while back and the charges are very similar but at least the hodgens is a temp stable powder. I pulled apart some Remington tipped 180 grain and they look much like an SST. Also had ball powder in those. Wish I knew what that was cause it produced no pressure and runs at 2640 in my 308. Has a greenish tent to it. And it is 42 grains. Plenty of room in the case for something like the 180GChg. With 1 grain less I don't hear any shake at all in the case. I have other powders to try but just something different from what I've been doing.
Starting 1 grain less from different bullet load data is a risk due to too many bullet powder variables IMO. Always start low and work up to insure pressure signs are observed in steps not at aw crap. Still recommend contacting Sierra. They have always sent me PDF files of load data immediately.

This loading is a little to a lot high to start with to be honest. As for load work up I generally will start at 3/4 max data posted and load in 1/2 grain or on smaller cases 1/3 grain increments at usually a length that is close to maximum magazine length that will feed reliable. Once at signs of pressure I look for the group that shot the best and then start working on small increments or decreases of powder. If it tightened up good if it stays the same then I will change seating depth usually only making the bullet shorter cause I started at maximum mag length already. Personally I find most cases hit the max charge powder weight this way and usually I'm a little longer than what Sammi spec is for COL. Like these loads I made up they are at 2.85 COL were most 308 sammi loading is 2.800 inch. Just my experience. I will admit sometimes I'm at pressure with the first 2 to 3 loads and I end up pulling bullets. I have some dedicated bullet pullers. Not a fan of doing it but it's a common thing for me. Manner of fact I has to pull 6 this morning but if you VLD ream you brass and you are easy with the puller you never deform the bullet. Just the price of always tinkering with loads. My wife said I have reloading ADD as much as I change bullets around and loads but it's something I like to do. Sometimes it can be a drag cause I admit I start something and about half way through development I quit and start something else especially if a bullet get hard to tune.

Last edited:
Hoping with this cooler Monday and Tuesday I’ll get out shooting. Hoping to finish my 205 Berger loads and start on the 180’s Game changer. I been trying to keep better notes this year and clip out the final finish targets and tape them in my log book. That way I can have a better history of load and target data.

Been thinking if you like staball you could load almost most popular hunting calibers with 3 powders. The staball match, the regular staball green label, and the staball HD.

I don't know if it will help or not, my 175g TMK load is 42.0g of IMR XBR 8208, Lapua case, CCI BR-2 Primer, bullet touching the lands, shoots a bug hole in a 10T Krieger.

Be careful with Varget, it has an unreal pressure curve on the top end, will spike on you in a hurry, blow the primer clean out of the case.