180 ELD-M problems

I have a Seekins Havak PH2 28 Nosler. It shoots the 175 ELD-X's very well. I can't get the 180 ELD-M's to even hit the target. Anyone else have this problem?
Sorry, I should have included much more info. They are handloads with 88 grains RL-33 at 3160fps avg. I load .050 off the lands or in my rifle, at 3.49" (SAAMI is 3.34). I sight in at 300 yds. I live in eastern Idaho and much of our shooting is at distance. I would love to take advantage of the higher b.c. if possible. The 175's are a great bullet but always looking for more.

Sorry, I should have included much more info. They are handloads with 88 grains RL-33 at 3160fps avg. I load .050 off the lands or in my rifle, at 3.49" (SAAMI is 3.34). I sight in at 300 yds. I live in eastern Idaho and much of our shooting is at distance. I would love to take advantage of the higher b.c. if possible. The 175's are a great bullet but always looking for more.
Need to shoot at the target at 50 or a 100 and start there.

If I'm reading this correctly, you have only tried to shoot them at 300 yards? How big is your target? I'd start by zeroing at 100 yards and going from there.

Used to shoot 40gr Calhoon's out of a 700 223 Rem worked great tried in an AR fast twist 1-7 and got grey puffs out at about 60 yards. Just couldn't take the spin rate. I'm thinking maybe it could be the issue. I have 1-8 twist 28 Nos and settled on 195 EOL Berger as my long range round.

The gun is zeroed at 300 using the 175's and I use 3' x 4' white melamine 1/4' board. I put an orange dot in the middle and it didn't hit that board at 300 5 of the 6 shots I took. I then moved over and shot at a rock pile and it didn't hit it either. They must be coming apart or tumbling and going who knows where. I just wondered if anyone else had trouble with the 180's. I am reducing my loads and will shoot them once more to see if a reduction in velocity makes any difference.

The gun is zeroed at 300 using the 175's and I use 3' x 4' white melamine 1/4' board. I put an orange dot in the middle and it didn't hit that board at 300 5 of the 6 shots I took. I then moved over and shot at a rock pile and it didn't hit it either. They must be coming apart or tumbling and going who knows where. I just wondered if anyone else had trouble with the 180's. I am reducing my loads and will shoot them once more to see if a reduction in velocity makes any difference.
You are assuming the 180 will have the same POI as the 175. You need to find out the actual POI of the 180.

I'll bet they are disentegrating, if a sighted in gun won't hit a 3x4' board at 300.
Another Hornady issue, I think it was the first generation of them or something.
There's a thread on this if I recall correctly. Maybe more than 1.

Post #11 is the best solution. Can you imagine sending one at an animal that never arrives? Trm82 has experience with them at targets.

yeah you're pushing those way past the point they're known to begin turning into spiritual entities. They're better than when they first came out but the only way I'd even attempt that MV is in a 10 twist with the mildest rifling available, 4r/5r something like that. Some folks do have better luck of course, but others start to have trouble at 2900, especially in 8 twist or conventional 6 land rifling. Some guns will, some won't, and I think you can just go ahead and say yours won't.

To give you an idea how delicate these things are, I shoot them at about 2650 out of a 5r 1:8 and I have observed jacket separation/fragmentation in a filled beer can at 550y. They are very, very soft. Which is why they're great so far out even aside from BC. But it sounds like you'll have to live with that tiny bit of BC still left on the shelf. I just can't see a way around it.

I shot them in my 7mmRM with an 8 twist at about 2900fps and no issues at all. It was a 5R barrel though. Super accurate at a mile. No issues with jackets.

I had the same issue with my 8 twist 280 ai .. 2 out of the five shot group didn't hit the target while the 3 that did were inside a half inch in the bulls eye.. I did see a couple pin holes.. Hmmm?
Next five shots had four in the target but also more pin holes that had to be bullet fragments. That was enough and I no longer load them.. I might add that I had no problems with my 9 twist 7 mag, but no longer have it.. Weird..