18 inch Proof CF 300WM

I just started researching it. They have done a LOT of work there in the last 8 or 10 years!

I'll probably make a trip out there at least once to check it out. No way I can pay that membership fee for the few times per year that I'll be able to use it. I'm glad to have an option though.

Thanks for the heads up.

I just started researching it. They have done a LOT of work there in the last 8 or 10 years!

I'll probably make a trip out there at least once to check it out. No way I can pay that membership fee for the few times per year that I'll be able to use it. I'm glad to have an option though.

Thanks for the heads up.
Call them ask for Andrea, a very nice lady. She is the co-owner.

Where in Houston are you?

PSC between Friendswood and Alvin is great. Membership only, a huge waiting list at one point, and only 300yd, but great.

I got invited to shoot steel plates up to 1200 yards this Friday and Saturday. For laughs and giggles, I decided to unscrew the 26 inch fluted barrel and swap it with the 18 inch 10T Proof CF, and run it suppressed with AAC Titan QD. In retrospect I should have opted for a 9T or 8T so I can run heavy monos. The 215s will have to do. Still have enough FGGM 190s to burn up this barrel, twist choice is not all futile.

The barrel is short, I could not chuck it in the headstock between spiders on either the 1440, nor the 1236, so the little green machine got the nod. The JET lathe is only 1024, belt drive, but very capable.

The JET HS is so short that I can run the 18 inch barrel between spiders and not touch the carbon fiber. I can chamber and thread the muzzle easily. Muzzle thread would be 3/4-24.

This 18th Proof barrel would be the 5th barrel on this action. The previous ones; original 7RM Sendero, 7 STW, Schneider M40 300WM, and the Wilson fluted 300WM.

We shall see how it works out. AAC cautioned me about running an 18 inch 300WM with the Titan QD. I think for limited rounds per time period, it should be fine. Not running rattle battle pace here.

View attachment 470068View attachment 470069View attachment 470070View attachment 470071View attachment 470072View attachment 470073
View attachment 470074
View attachment 470075

Are there any members here who are running 18 inch 300WM suppressed? Could you please share the good, the bad, and the ugly?
bamban, Your workshop and machinist knowledge are both really impressive! Are you a machinist professionally or did you pick up your skills as a hobbyist and over time you reached this high level of skill? This kind of precision machining is really attractive to me and I'm wondering if a mere mortal can learn to do this over time or is it a non-starter? If it is possible, where does one start? I'm guessing there schools or classes out there where a student can learn the basics of metal lathes all the way up to machining and building precision rifles? I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area. Maybe this should be a separate post...sorry for hijacking your post.

bamban, Your workshop and machinist knowledge are both really impressive! Are you a machinist professionally or did you pick up your skills as a hobbyist and over time you reached this high level of skill? This kind of precision machining is really attractive to me and I'm wondering if a mere mortal can learn to do this over time or is it a non-starter? If it is possible, where does one start? I'm guessing there schools or classes out there where a student can learn the basics of metal lathes all the way up to machining and building precision rifles? I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area. Maybe this should be a separate post...sorry for hijacking your post.

Thank you for the kind words.

Sorry, bud, not a machinist nor a gunsmith, just hobbyist enjoying the journey of learning. I never operated any machines till 2015, I was 4 years into my retirement from the semiconductor industry then.

Prior to 2015, I ordered a barrel that took over a year to get, I decided then that I will learn how to chamber, fit my own barrels. Fortunately, I know some people who mentored me in running the machines, and others in chambering.

I was like a sponge reading learning about lathes, mills, speed, feed, depth of cuts, etc. I talked to people, picking every bit of kernels of knowledge. At the end of the day I formulated the basic guidelines I will proceed in the quest, and continue what we preached and practiced in my previous life --- Continuous Improvement

To accelerate the learning curve I volunteered to do the TX JRs rifle team barrels. My community service to the future of our gun rights...

There are various practices in just chambering, and setting headspace. I believe not a single one stands above the rest. The best procedure is the one you are comfortable with and getting the desired outcome. It boils down to Machining 101, cutting a workpiece to the intended dimension.

I am currently rebarreling one of my CMP bare Garand receivers. I ordered a set of barrel prints to turn a 1.25 inch straight blank into a Garand barrel.

20230523_145354.jpg
20230523_135447.jpg

Earlier on I bought similar prints for the M14 when re-barreled my suppressed M1A hunting rifle from a blank.

One thing with this hobby, I bought all the machines, and tooling not just for me. I share my limited knowledge and resources with friends. They want their barrels, they better come and do it on my over-the-shoulder. I checked them out prior on safety and machine operations.

Last edited:

Sorry, bud, not a machinist nor a gunsmith, just hobbyist enjoying the journey of learning. I never operated any machines till 2015, I was 4 years into my retirement from the semiconductor industry.

Prior to 2015, I ordered a barrel that took over a year to get, I decided then that I will learn how to chamber, fit my own barrels. Fortunately, I know some people mentored me in running the machines, and others in chambering.

I was like sponge reading about lathes, mills, speed, feed, depth of cuts, etc. I talked to people picking every bit of kernels of knowledge. At the end of the I formulated the basic guidelines I will proceed in the quest. As we preached and practiced in my previous life --- Continuous Improvement

To accelerate the learning curve I volunteered to do the TX JRs rifle team barrels. My community service to the future of our gun rights...

There are various practices in just chambering, and setting headspace. I believe not a single one stands above the rest. The best procedure is the one you are comfortable with and getting the desired outcome. It boils down to Machining 101, cutting a workpiece to the intended dimension.

I am currently rebarreling one of my CMP bare Garand receivers. I ordered a set barrel prints to turn a 1.25 inch straight blank into a Garand barrel.

View attachment 471089View attachment 471090

Earlier on I bought similar prints for the M14 when re-barreled my suppressed M1A hunting rifle.

One thing with this hobby, I bought all the machines, and tooling not just for me. I share my limited knowledge and resources with friends. They want their barrels, they better come and do it on my over-the-shoulder. I checked them out prior on safety and machine operations.
Bamban you are one of a kind and a credit to the human race. I am so glad to have met you! Keep up the good work and may your shot be always true

Sorry, bud, not a machinist nor a gunsmith, just hobbyist enjoying the journey of learning. I never operated any machines till 2015, I was 4 years into my retirement from the semiconductor industry.

Prior to 2015, I ordered a barrel that took over a year to get, I decided then that I will learn how to chamber, fit my own barrels. Fortunately, I know some people mentored me in running the machines, and others in chambering.

I was like sponge reading about lathes, mills, speed, feed, depth of cuts, etc. I talked to people picking every bit of kernels of knowledge. At the end of the I formulated the basic guidelines I will proceed in the quest. As we preached and practiced in my previous life --- Continuous Improvement

I am currently rebarreling one of my CMP bare Garand receivers. I ordered a set barrel prints to turn a 1.25 inch straight blank into a Garand barrel.

View attachment 471089View attachment 471090

Earlier on I bought similar prints for the M14 when re-barreled my suppressed M1A hunting rifle.

So, you're a competent draftsman, too! Impressive. Thank you so much for sharing your journey. Very inspiring.

Still heavy.. Will most likely shed the NXS for either the Vortex LHT or the March. These all have the same rings, and their own shades. Fair comparison.

NXS 5.5-22x56
20230617_210346.jpg

LHT 3-15x50
20230617_210548.jpg

March 2.5-25x52
20230617_210705.jpg

March will do a special deal for me to replace the tacticool knobs with capped turrets. The latter being more hunting friendly. May stick with this in MTR5 reticle. However, I do like the austere G4i reticle on the LHT.

In case y'all wonder how much does the rifle weigh by itself pictured.

Worked over 700, fully bedded with plain JB Weld.
Gre-tan firing pin kit, spring
TT special
20 MOA aluminum pic rail
1st gen Sendero stock no palm swell
Standard Remy swivel studs
Kick eeze pad
LOP cut down to 12-1/2 with pad
Titan QD 3/4x24 brake/suppressor adapter.

20230617_220135.jpg

Last edited: