17 Fireball

Greg Duerr

For you guys that shoot the 17 Fireball.............................what is it that you like about it and do you have any muzzle jump?

How is it on Coyotes and how is the Fur damage on Fox or Cats.?

My son shot a FB on varmints and coyotes for a couple of years. It's an excellent varmint round and cheap to load. If your gun will digest some cheaper bullets, it can be loaded for less than HMR ammo. With a RVC barrel, it has negligible muzzle jump. You can call virtually all of your shots through the scope. It is very fur friendly. Use the more heavily constructed bullets (hp's rather than poly-tipped) for coyotes. That said, after a couple of winters coyote hunting, my son switched back to a bigger caliber. The FB is just a little light for coyotes and he lost a few that he shouldn't have but if you are careful with your shots, it will kill them. Good luck. Everyone should try a .17FB at least once! lightbulb

The trouble with the .204 is what do you do when calling for Coyotes and a Gray fox or a Bobcat come in. I have a feeling that a 25 gr bullet out of a 17 is going to leave you with less sewing than the 204 and a 35gr bullet. In fact if I was calling just for Fox or Cats I would be better off with a 17 Hornet Shooting a 23gr Woodchuck at 3500
Its hard for most guys to get away from the bigger and faster. But when a $550 Bobcat offers you a shot at 50yds I'll take the smaller slower over the bigger faster. One cat gives you a better payback than 10 coyotes.

Nevada Fur sales in Fallon, NV Check out Nevada Trappers Association.

Google Fallon Fur Sales................ Top cats vary from sale to sale but they have two sales each year ............. Talked to one young trapper who brought in Three Cat pelts and two coyotes and they cut him a check for $2000
Last year they were going even higher................averaged $600

Top cat of the sale went close to $1400

I was looking for a 204 when I bumped into a Cooper at my local Cabelas . It was a 17 Mach 4 ,the wildcat Fire Ball.The price was right @$1100 W/6-18 Leupold, so I it followed me home.I have never been so completly pleased with a rifle in my 75 years of life!!Now after shooting over 500 rounds through her ,she purrs out 3/8 to 1/2 groups in between sage rats.I have only shot one coyote with it ,and it did the job .I would not recommend it as a coyote killer unless you were willing to place your shot or pass,I don`t call with it I switch to 22/250 or 243.I have used 20 VMAX,20 HP BERGERS,and Midsouth`s 20HP VARMINT bulk pack 500 $38 .THE VMAX ,MIDSOUTH HP shot the best in my rifle.My two hunting buddies now own FIREBALLS! We love them, the sage rats hate them.:D

As it been said here... why not just get a .17 Rem... I've used one for many years on Yotes.. if your looking for a fur caliber it's it. With a 25gr at 4040 fps and you keeping the shots in the 300 to 350 yards range; that dog is dead! As for muzzle flip; "none" it's like watching a hunting program on the your t.v when your looking through the scope, I think that's one of the coolest things about the .17's
If your loading (22.8grs) of VV135, Remington case, Remington 7 1/2 match primer, using Remington 25gr HP (or something like it) your getting 4040 fps which is Remington factory load speed, and a very good factory load at that. When I shoot my load and Remington's, I can't tell the different either by accuracy or across the chorny, it's a ragged hole.
Cheer

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts