162 ELDM

You got it. Well as you can see in the pick its an antlerless elk which I had a cow/calf tag antlerless tag. Smoked this tasty lady or so I thought was a lady. When I got up to it, I pulled the hind quarters out to start field dressing I was was kind of confused. I looked at my dad like what's going on? There was no udders which a cow would have had, but there was also no nut sack for a bull. There wasn't anything visible on the outside to indicate one sex or the other. Wasn't until I started cutting in that I found a penis or at the very least a urinary line where a penis should be. IT was a bit of a trip. Did some research and found it can happen if a young calf bull catches his nuts on a fence or something.
Well as long as he identified as a cow you're good lol.

I shoot 162ELDM from 708AI. 2750-2775fps depending on temp. 24" barrel. W760 and RL17. It is a fairly heavy range gun used for steel targets to 1500yds. I would like to shoot a hog or audad with it. I also have 284 WIN components and a Benchmark barrel blank ready to be chambered. MTU profile so still a heavy prone shooting setup. I should think 180gr class bullets for the 284 WIN. So, I guess I'm rambling with no contribution to the question. My apologies.

I shoot 162ELDM from 708AI. 2750-2775fps depending on temp. 24" barrel. W760 and RL17. It is a fairly heavy range gun used for steel targets to 1500yds. I would like to shoot a hog or audad with it. I also have 284 WIN components and a Benchmark barrel blank ready to be chambered. MTU profile so still a heavy prone shooting setup. I should think 180gr class bullets for the 284 WIN. So, I guess I'm rambling with no contribution to the question. My apologies.
You've at least made a good argument for the 7-08 at LR. I think the 162 is max but who am I to tell someone what they should or should t shoot in their rifle. You do you. Sounds like it's working.

My 284 with 162 ELDM jumps over .100 and shoots fantastic. Anywhere from .040-.150
" Fantastic" Is completely based on perspective. If any of my customs can't hold 3/4" inch (.750) or under at 300 yards they're gone. Most are glad to shoot that at 100 yards. It's all about perspective.

Then again none of my customs have SAAMI chambers. Who's SAMMI? Never heard of her.

4 Sure, 7 Rem territory. Thing is, after 50 years or so of loading that I can make a cartridge run whatever speed I wish to......
Actually faster than factory 7mm magnum ammunition. Pretty much why I don't have a 7 mag today. When my SA 284 pushed 162s at 3K (54 grains RL17) and my LA284 pushed 180s (53 grains RL17)that same speed, what purpose is there for a 7mm mag ? The 284 is today's 7 mag. My 28 Nosler is a better option for 180-195s. I read this article and realized I could get 7mm mag performance for a SA 284 with 160 class bullets in a lighter, handier package.

Last edited:
" Fantastic" Is completely based on perspective. If any of my customs can't hold 3/4" inch (.750) or under at 300 yards they're gone. Most are glad to shoot that at 100 yards. It's all about perspective.

Then again none of my customs have SAAMI chambers. Who's SAMMI? Never heard of her.
Who builds your 1/4 minute guns?