12 Antelope in a Day and a Half!

barnesuser28

Best year of goat hunting yet! My Dad (Jim), Brother (Colin), and I, met up with Doublezranch's Father (Derald), Son (Zayne), and himself (Jayson) friday morning and we split up to knock some goats off their feet since we each had 2 tags a piece. Colin and I were the only ones with an "any" tag.

Not 20 minutes into legal shooting light we got a text from Jayson, "Three goats down" and about 20 minutes after we had our own three down. Two does and Colin got a buck.

Our group picked up two more does later that day and Jayson's group picked up one more doe.

Saturday morning about 15 minutes into shooting light i had my buck down, 100 yards with my 284 win, he didnt have a chance!! Jayson's group got their last two a couple hours later.

None were taken with too much range but i think the farthest was my doe that i got at about 500 yards with a 270 and 130 partition, I hit her in the high shoulder and she crumpled with her legs tucked under her when we found her.

Well we got back to the campers and finished up skinning and quartering, and Chuck McIntosh of Mac's Gunsmithing came over (He let us park our campers on his property) to see how we did and gave us a tour of his shop. We got his permission to use his range and went to shooting!

Jayson's goal was to get his 300 rum with 230 bergers out too 1000 yards that day, even in the 15-25 mph wind. And he did, in fact, with Chuck's help spotting, Jayson, Colin, and I were all able to make hits at 1500 yards. Jayson did so with his 300 rum and 230 bergers and Colin and I did it with my Dad's 30/375 S.I. with the 215 bergers at 2977 fps MV. Zayne got a hit at 1000 yards with his factory 270 WSM with 165 Matrix VLDs and Derald made his longest hit at 600 yards with 150 Barnes TTSX from his 7 SAUM.

It was a great trip with too many funny moments to count, we all had a great time and plan to do it again next year!

A special thanks to Chuck for the hospitality!

And the pics:

Zayne's Does, 165 Matrix VLDs out of a 270 wsm

Heart, 230 berger from the 300 rum

Lungs, 230 berger from the 300 rum

My Buck, he had a really dark head, too bad he had a big scar on his neck near the chest.

Exit at 100 yards, 162 amax 284 win

Same combo as above, you can see the shoulder blade at the top of the pic.

Me with my doe

Colin with his Buck

Zayne and I shooting, with Colin and Derald spotting.

Derald taking his turn...and time... :D

Zayne hit the big steel at 1000 yards but we accidentally painted over it (and dozens of other hits) before he was able to get a pic with it, but it was within 2" of dead center!!

And the hits at 1500 yards.

Great read Riley and congrats to all! Lots of smiles and goats on the ground, what more could a guy ask for. Always a good time with the doublezranch boys! gun)

Opener is Saturday here in Montana so we will see what we can do. Got the video cam charged and ready to go so hopefully we can get some good footage, now I just need to make up my mind on which rig to bring. :D

Text me some time, I've got a new toy.

Congrats again to all, Eric

Thanks guys, it was a blast. Next adventure is elk in CO and WY, will be leaving this thursday and coming back Oct. 19. We have three tags and buddy of ours also has a tag.

All I can say is WOW.

Looks like a great time by all.

PS: I really like to see the youngsters going on hunts with there dads. And especially do some fine shooting.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks Jerry!! We certainly had the time of our lives. As I get older I have more fun watching the kids and my father be successful. I loved watching the smiles on dad and the boys faces.

For those of you who think the 230 target isn't for hunting, guess again. Those 2 pics are from a goat that was quartering away heavily. Hit her right at the back rib and came out between the neck and front shoulder. Entrance hole was a pencil, liquified the organs, and penciled out. All energy delivered stayed in the chest cavity of the animal. Very impressed...

Thanks to Riley's family for all he fun, and to Macs Gunworks for a place to stay and his hospitality. Come to find out Len spends some time there shooting some steel and getting ready for his hunts. I see why do do Len, his range is awesome.

Back to Wyoming for us next week for elk. Dad and I are chasing bulls, Zayne has a cow tag.

Antelope are the best pre game warm up ever, we hit them this weekend in MT. Gotta make it back to Wy for goats though, rolling with a fist full of antelope tags is hard to beat :D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.