100 yards Vs 200 Yards

Tall

Can any body shed any light on zero POI at 100 yards vs 200 yards? Not all rifle ranges has a 200 yard paper targets available.

I am zero at 100 yards with a tight group of less then .25 inches. When I shot the gong at 800 yards i was shooting about 2 feet to the right. I didn't have a wind meeter and it didn't seem like there was much of a wind. Some what of a breeze but with no wind meeter or flags down range its hard to be certain. Is it possible there could be an issue with the way my gun is set up. Maybe scope is not perfectly aligned?

First easy thing to check is reticle level, put up a big piece of paper at 100 and after the paper is up take a sharpie and 4' level and make a perfectly level verrical and horizontal line, shoot your first group at the intersection and then dial up 20 MOA and shoot a second group also aiming at the intersection, if the group is to the right of your vertical line that should show you that the scope is canted and is pulling your groups right when you dial up

I think I understand now. If the scope is mounted canted then this test will show witch way the farther you adjust the MOA adjustment. Also shooting with the gun un level will also produce similar results depending on how much and what direction its canted. so if that is the problem, then the fix would be to put an anti cant level and make sure I don't shoot canted? Would that assumption be correct?

yes if the gun or the scope is canted towards 1 O'clock then it will pull your shot to the right, the first thing you need to do is make sure your scope is level with your rifle, and then when you are sure it is adding a scope level will help you keep your rifle in the correct firing position.

Is there any way the scope angle could be off right or left on the scope mounts front and back. If the gun shoots good at 100 and 200 yards then is it fair to assume the gun should be on out to 600, 800, 900? Assuming there is not any canting going on?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.