$1,500 to spend, what to get for a gun

The Bergara HMR 300 Win is a $950-$1000 rifle with a barrel contour in between magnum and varmint contour, 26", threaded, set up with adjustable stock with aluminum chassis, and detachable mags that should allow bullets seated a little further out than factory mag box (at least they do in short action calibers.) Leaves you with $1000 for scope/rings/ammo.

I do not see any scopes that can beet the leupold vx5hd for hunting. You mite whant one mudrunner2005.
You should try a Zeiss. I stopped buying Leupold years ago. Not because there's anything wrong with them, just because for my eyes, I have found better in the same price range. Everyone's eyes are different.

Also, just to clarify, when I'm referring to comparing "cheaper" scopes to top-tier, I'm talking about comparing $1,000-$1,500 scopes to $3,000-$4,000 scopes. Not comparing scopes less than $1,000 to scopes in the top tier. Just wanted to clarify on that.

What Adam said. Those are all good choices.

My own choice yesterday was a 6.5 Creedmoor Browning X-Bolt Pro. It weighs 6 lb. 1 oz. with a carbon fiber stock, spiral fluted bolt and bolt handle and fluted barrel. At that weight it is a true "mountain rifle". Now to find a good, light scope.("Retail Therapy";o)

Eric B.

I know what you are talking about $1,200 vs $3,000 scopes for hunting. I have looked at Zeiss but the vx5hd to me is better than the Zeiss in the same price range.

What Adam said. Those are all good choices.

My own choice yesterday was a 6.5 Creedmoor Browning X-Bolt Pro. It weighs 6 lb. 1 oz. with a carbon fiber stock, spiral fluted bolt and bolt handle and fluted barrel. At that weight it is a true "mountain rifle". Now to find a good, light scope.("Retail Therapy";o)

Eric B.
Not sure how light of a scope you're wanting, but If you can find a good used (or possibly new) Kahles Helia KX 3.5-10x50 4D-Dot reticle, that would make for a really nice super-light mountain rifle setup. They have capped turrets, but the scope is VERY lightweight, and the glass is crystal clear. It's the same scope I run on my main deer rifle.

I would definitely recommend a bergara B-14 but I would not get the HMR model for any kind of mountain or terrain hunting and I own a HMR. I would go with the ridgline or hunter model if I was carrying for any kind of distance. I think they run around 700 bucks with that extra budget money throw a VX-6hd on there. It wont be FFP but its one hell of a nice scope and I own one of those also :). A bergara ridgline with a vx6 hd in a 300 wm would be one heck of a hunting rifle for around 2000 bucks.

not being too nitpicky here, but for the sake of clarity--the Ridge is what Bergara offers, and the Ridgeline is a Christensen Arms product. Either would be a good choice for more of a traditional profile/weight hunting rifle...with the nod going to Christensen for weight. I own the Ridge in 6.5cm, and it's still a pretty beefy little gun with that #5 profile barrel.

bergara premier mountain in 280AI or 300 wm is a great LW mountain rifle, low 6 pound weight, handpicked rifles for guaranteed accuracy--but its over your $1500 price range

for the price, I like the idea for lightweight of the tikka t3x lite or superliht + a vx6hd scope, or for slightly heavier you could try one of the x-bolt LR rifles plus a vx5or 6 scope

pricing still depends on where you are buying it from though

Different strokes...I use a US Optics B-25 and I don't think there is a $1500.00
scope that comes close..Not even remotely close to it? Even if you drop down to a B-17
it's still a wonderful scope. still more than 1500 though...
I really want a Premier Heritage Gen II XR but they are really expensive!
But heck if you are happy... Rock On...

Last edited:
Different strokes...I use a US Optics B-25 and I don't think there is a $1500.00
scope that comes close..Not even remotely close to it? Even if you drop down to a B-17
it's still a wonderful scope. still more than 1500 though...
But heck if you are happy... Rock On...

It's also 35 ounces...screw that on a hunting rifle lol

The trouble with most of the factory rifles is they are still slow twist except for maybe 6.5 CM. If you want something that's a real elk cartridge the twist is too slow to shoot the new high bc bullets. Browning does offer a 7 and 8 twist in 26 and 28 Nosler, respectively. I'd buy a Tikka but their only fast twist is 6.5 CM and that's an 8 twist.

I guess if I want a 7 or 8 twist in most calibers/cartridges I'll need to build one.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts