0 MOA vs 20 MOA

RugerHawg413

Happy Friday!
I think I know the answer to this but I have a Savage 110 Ultralite in .30-06 that I am putting together. And I was wondering for that particular rifle and caliber, do you think that I should go with a 0 MOA or 20 MOA scope base? I will be hunting with it in NM, where there are shots taken around 400-500 yards and beyond, though my limit for right now is around 450-500 yards. Thank you for all info and wisdom, it is very much appreciated!

IMO there should be plenty of travel in the scope to accommodate a 500yd shot from an 06. I'm not sure why shooters put a 20moa rail on everything and anything. If, for some reason, you just want a little more elevation, there are 10 moa rails available. You can also get plenty of additional elevation by just using a set of Burris rings with the off-set inserts.

Either will work for you in reality.

I'm the type of guy that looks for a 40 , 50 , 60 moa base and still zero at 100 yards !
Just in case your buddy finds a spot where you can shoot steel out to 3000 yards plus !! 😎

Rum Man

Understood. Yeah, I am putting a Vortex Razor LHT MOA FFP .45-22x50 on it. Sorry for not putting that on the first post. Thanks!!

You should have plenty of travel within that scope (with a 0 MOA base) for the distance you plan to shoot. I guess I'm in the camp of 20 MOA base won't hurt and allows further travel if ever needed.

You should have plenty of travel within that scope (with a 0 MOA base) for the distance you plan to shoot. I guess I'm in the camp of 20 MOA base won't hurt and allows further travel if ever needed.

Some rifle/scope combos won't even zero at 100yds if a 20moa base is used. Even if the combo worked, the reticle would be in an extreme position in the tube to compensate for that 20moa cant. 20moa rails are not beneficial for many uses.

Just my 2 cents.