“Your groups are too small” vs barrel life

If I get the Hornady theory of group building, it sounds like shoot larger sample sizes to more precisely determine the accuracy of the load in the barrel.

So, you need to shoot something to find pressure, right. So you have to shoot ~30 to determine this, especially shooting non-std cartridges, oal's and jump distances.

Then you would shoot 20-50 round groups to set powder charge for the bullet. Then seating depth. Then primer type, Then neck tension, then crimp, then primer depth, then repeat for several bullets to get match level results.

Doing all this for several bullets and what are we talking 1000 rounds of barrel life? How much is left for match shooting. Does this mean I can develop on one barrel and apply results to the next 2-3 barrels? Maybe.

The other side develops off 3-5 round groups, gets to a load in under 300 rounds, but struggles with things like load tune at long range, load tune range to range, other issues. The one thing this group doesn't do is chase results and then running out of barrel life.

How do you combine the 2 to get a "best value"?
And how much of this "group building" can be done with virgin brass. Or do we need to send another 50 or 100 rounds down the barrel to have "once-fired" brass?

And how much of this "group building" can be done with virgin brass. Or do we need to send another 50 or 100 rounds down the barrel to have "once-fired" brass?
The old saying about "test it like you fly it" applies in ballistics....

Planning on only running with virgin brass?..., then test the difference in your cycled brass to see if it shoots the same. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. I have a few club mates who only shoot virgin brass, and they shoot a lot. (Other folks are lined up to buy their once fired brass.)

It certainly is nice when there is low or no difference between your processing of fired brass versus virgin. This doesn't always happen, but it certainly can.

In this thread, the whole theme is about "how many rounds and outings (condition changes) does it take to convince yourself you really know something is better, worse, same, different, etc..

I will throw in one more theme, and that is context matters. This forum is a hunting forum, so the first cold bore shot and maybe a follow up shot is all that matters. No sighters, no foulers, just "stand and deliver". The point of wasting those words, is the huge difference between most competitive shooting where "state of the art" is being defined, versus cold bore only.

How do we teach new young hunters (soldiers and SWAT) that is takes lots of rounds to define statistics, versus arriving at that well placed cold bore shot?

It seems to me that all one needs understand is what 3-5 shot group sizes will tell you and what they won't.

A 3 shot group can tell you what isn't working. If something isn't working, quit wasting components and try something else.

The fallacy with 3-5 shot groups is thinking that marginal differences are real. To determine if marginal differences are real requires more shots. Is it a question worth more shots?

No need to burn out a barrel.

That's not what I said at all!! If you shoot 2 shots that are 1.5" apart.....a third shot is not going to DECREASE that 1.5" group size. If I'm looking for 1/2" 5 shot groups and shot 1 and 2 are 2moa....guess what...that load is not going to shoot half MOA! Even if shot 1 was 2" high and the next 4 where in the bullseye in the same hole you'd still have a 2" group.

If I shoot 1 shot I have a 0 MOA group.

If I shoot 2 shots and they are .5 MOA apart I have a .5 MOA group.

If I stop there I think I am good.

If I shoot 10 more 2 shot groups and they vary from .5 MOA to 2 MOA I will see that the .5 MOA group was an aberration.

One 2 shot group might tell me something. A larger group size will tell me more. Multiple larger group sizes will tell me even more.

2 shots is not enough.

If I shoot 1 shot I have a 0 MOA group.

If I shoot 2 shots and they are .5 MOA apart I have a .5 MOA group.

If I stop there I think I am good.

If I shoot 10 more 2 shot groups and they vary from .5 MOA to 2 MOA I will see that the .5 MOA group was an aberration.

One 2 shot group might tell me something. A larger group size will tell me more. Multiple larger group sizes will tell me even more.

2 shots is not enough.
You are thinking about what I said in reverse...kinda.

Hypothetically let's say I'm looking for a .5" group at 100yds.....

If the first 2 shots are 2" apart then it will NEVER be a .5" group even if you shoot 5 times. That tells me that my rifle doesn't like that powder charge or seating depth or whatever ingredient I'm testing.

Now if the first 2 shots are touching then keep shooting to "prove" the load.

What I'm getting at is don't throw good money after bad! In load development I'm trying to figure what DOES NOT WORK in order to find what does work.

I think there are some good points and some points that don't pass the statistical test.

First, we all agree we need 1-3 reliable shots to hunt game. That said we need reliable accuracy and precision. I don't know how to determine the probability of hitting my target without a reasonably rigorous statistically valid method.

Shooting an OCW iteration is normally a 5 shot by 5 target outing, but in reality, I only need t shoot until my target group size is blown. Like shoot 1-2 at target #1. If over 1", move on to load #2….maybe I get 3 before the group is blown. If all 5 blow the expected, maybe raise the expectation and keep shooting from group #1. This should reduce rounds fired.

On the idea that I only need 1 shot groups, that is a challenge. How do I know where that 1 shot is going without shooting a bunch of shots of the same load? Seems like this applies to 1-5 shot group shooters.

The Hornady method tells me to shoot 20 or 4 groups of 5, 7 groups of 3 and look at the composite group.. I think this works too, but no sense continuing to shoot if the group is blown. The problem with disregarding "the Hornady method" is that it is not the Hornady method. It is just the application of statistics to reloading/shooting. I don't think I can argue with the relevance of statistics to this sport.

I think there are some good points and some points that don't pass the statistical test.

First, we all agree we need 1-3 reliable shots to hunt game. That said we need reliable accuracy and precision. I don't know how to determine the probability of hitting my target without a reasonably rigorous statistically valid method.

Shooting an OCW iteration is normally a 5 shot by 5 target outing, but in reality, I only need t shoot until my target group size is blown. Like shoot 1-2 at target #1. If over 1", move on to load #2….maybe I get 3 before the group is blown. If all 5 blow the expected, maybe raise the expectation and keep shooting from group #1. This should reduce rounds fired.

On the idea that I only need 1 shot groups, that is a challenge. How do I know where that 1 shot is going without shooting a bunch of shots of the same load? Seems like this applies to 1-5 shot group shooters.

The Hornady method tells me to shoot 20 or 4 groups of 5, 7 groups of 3 and look at the composite group.. I think this works too, but no sense continuing to shoot if the group is blown. The problem with disregarding "the Hornady method" is that it is not the Hornady method. It is just the application of statistics to reloading/shooting. I don't think I can argue with the relevance of statistics to this sport.
My point exactly

First of all, this topic is totally irrelevant if you are shooting inside 400-500 yards. This topic was meant for those shooting at ranges where the bullet time of flight is over 1 second (around 1000 yards). The difference on between .5 MOA and 1 MOA accuracy matters not on an eight inch vital zone at 500 yards. At that range, establishing consistency of your load with 3-5 shots is plenty.

But consistency and statistical significant are not the same, and at 1000 yards the difference between .5 MOA (5.3 inch group) and 1 MOA (10.5 inch group) accuracy matters on an eight inch vital zone. At this range I want to know if the statistical probability of a shot landing within the 8 inch vital zone is 50% or 95%. You can absolutely establish consistency of a load with much less than 30 data points, but most statisticians agree that 30 data point is a minimum for establishing statistical significance, which is needed to produce valid probability percentages. Understanding math, science and statistics is not necessary to shoot inside 500 yards and many on this forum have no interest in, or even detest, them; I get that. But they become extremely important outside 1000 yards.

Second, the engineers/ballisticians at Hornady never advocated just shooting 30 shot groups. A three shot group can absolutely tell you, with confidence, if a load is not accurate, adding shots the group won't shrink it. But a tiny three shot group is never going to establish the true capabilities of a load, never! It certainly doesn't establish that you own a sub 1/4 MOA laser. The Hornady people recommended an initial 3-5 shot group using a reasonable powder charge and seating depth. If it doesn't meet your group size goals, then dump it and swap powder or bullet and repeat until arriving at a group size that meets your goal. Then shoot 20-30 in string sizes appropriate for your particular rifle/application (ie. 1-3 for hunting rifle, 10 for PRS or F-class). Plot the x and y coordinates (measured from point of aim) of each shot on a single graph and crunch the numbers to get a mean radius and standard deviation.

The engineers/ballisticians at Hornady postulated the following hypothesis:

Small changes in power charge and seating depth have inconsequential effects on accuracy over a large (statistically meaningful) sample size.

A writer at OutdoorLife, unaffiliated with Hornady, independently verified the hypothesis with regards to powder charge weight.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/rifle-nodes/

Arguments against the hypothesis based on your deeply held religious beliefs about velocity or seating depth nodes, personal experiences with 3 shot groups, or because it contradicts or is different from "how you do it" are no more valid than the "because I said so" argument and make you look arrogant and unintelligent. If you want to disprove the hypothesis, the only valid way is to repeat the test yourself and present the data.

I would challenge the naysayers to shot a composite 30 round group (string sizes appropriate for your particular rifle/application) at your optimal seating depth and at the worst seating depth (within reason) from your ladder. I predict two things:
  1. Your 7 pound, pencil barrel hunting rifle is not a 1/4 MOA shooter 🤣
  2. The mean radius of the two groups will not be statistically different; that,except in very rare cases (pun intended), small changes in seating depth make no difference. (The Horady engineers do state that in some bullets with very aggressive ogives, seating depth my marginally affect the mean radius of a group, they have not tested every bullet made.)
It is a win/win for everyone . You get some extra time at the range doing what we all love, you might learn something new and you can participate in the scientific method and help advance our shooting community. For those that are not comfortable crunching the numbers, I am happy to help with that at no cost.

Last edited:
First of all, this topic is totally irrelevant if you are shooting inside 400-500 yards. This topic was meant for those shooting at ranges where the bullet time of flight is over 1 second (around 1000 yards). The difference on between .5 MOA and 1 MOA accuracy matters not on an eight inch vital zone at 500 yards. At that range, establishing consistency of your load with 3-5 shots is plenty.

But consistency and statistical significant are not the same, and at 1000 yards the difference between .5 MOA (5.3 inch group) and 1 MOA (10.5 inch group) accuracy matters on an eight inch vital zone. At this range I want to know if the statistical probability of a shot landing within the 8 inch vital zone is 50% or 95%. You can absolutely establish consistency of a load with much less than 30 data points, but most statisticians agree that 30 data point is a minimum for establishing statistical significance, which is needed to produce valid probability percentages. Understanding math, science and statistics is not necessary to shoot inside 500 yards and many on this forum have no interest in, or even detest, them; I get that. But they become extremely important outside 1000 yards.

Second, the engineers/ballisticians at Hornady never advocated just shooting 30 shot groups. A three shot group can absolutely tell, with confidence, if a load is not accurate, adding shots to it won't shrink it. But a three shot group is never going to establish the true capabilities of a load, never! They recommended an initial 3-5 shot group using a reasonable powder charge and seating depth. If it doesn't meet your group size goals, then dump it and swap powder or bullet and repeat until arriving at a group size that meets your goal. Then shoot 20-30 in string sizes appropriate for your particular rifle/application (ie. 1-3 for hunting rifle, 10 for PRS or F-class). Plot the x and y coordinates (measured from point of aim) of each shot on a single graph and crunch the numbers to get a mean radius and standard deviation.

The engineers/ballisticians at Hornady postulated the following hypothesis:

Small changes in power charge and seating depth have inconsequential effects on accuracy over a large (statistically meaningful) sample size.

A writer at OutdoorLife, unaffiliated with Hornady, independently verified the hypothesis with regards to powder charge weight.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/rifle-nodes/

Arguments against the hypothesis based on your deeply held religious beliefs about velocity or seating depth nodes, personal experiences with 3 shot groups, or because it contradicts or is different from "how you do it" are no more valid than the "because I said so" argument and make you look arrogant and unintelligent. If you want to disprove the hypothesis, the only valid way is to repeat the test yourself and present the data.

I would challenge the naysayers to shot a composite 30 round group (string sizes appropriate for your particular rifle/application) at your optimal seating depth and at the worst seating depth (within reason) from your ladder. I predict two things:
  1. Your 7 pound, pencil barrel hunting rifle is not a 1/4 MOA shooter 🤣
  2. The two groups will not be statistically different, that except in very rare cases (pun intended), small changes in seating depth make no difference.
It is a win/win for everyone . You get some extra time at the range doing what we all love, you might learn something new and you can participate in the scientific method and help advance our shooting community. For those that are not comfortable crunching the numbers, I am happy to help with that at no cost.
So what is your take on this video?

So what is your take on this video?

I like it, and I think they have the platforms to prove that differences can be made, as well as what those differences are, and the percentage that can be improved.

He also has a video showing a large sample size of his "best" and "worst" seating depths shot over 33 rounds, round robin, and there was no difference.

So in this video he put 20 rounds under 1 MOA with both depths at 600 yards. Looked like the worst depth was .8-.9 and the best depth was .6-.7? Shooting a 25 pound F class gun, with F class rifle rests. He's made videos barely proving, and also disproving the effects of small seating depth changes.

And we think we're going to do the same with our 8-10lb carbon barrel magnums with bipod and rear bag....

Recent Posts