Your thoughts on a quality stock or a chassis?

I think another consideration is the style stock you want. As in pistol grip on the chassis vs a more traditional grip on a stock. I have several manners stocks and a chassis or two. I much prefer the grip on the manners T stock. I seem to shoot it better than pistol grip or even the manners with the vertical grip. I shoot a lot and besides the adjustability in length in the chassis systems, the grip is the biggest difference to me.

I personally feel that bedding the front lug into a chassis, and full bedding the action into a custom traditional stock will produce the same results. If absolute weight is of concern, the newest carbon/composite stocks with bdl bottom metals will arguable net the lowest weight. The new xlr mag 3.0 and mdt hunt26 are very nice, once they're kitted with folders, and magazines theyre pushing 37-40oz. I know a mesa altitude bedded with Hawkins bdl/mag box/follower is 31oz. At least mine is. Every configuration will excel at a few characteristics, but not all. I personally feel the new ultralight folding chassis are the most well rounded, best compromise of all aspects. Kinda a jack of all trades master of none if you would.

I personally feel that bedding the front lug into a chassis, and full bedding the action into a custom traditional stock will produce the same results. If absolute weight is of concern, the newest carbon/composite stocks with bdl bottom metals will arguable net the lowest weight. The new xlr mag 3.0 and mdt hunt26 are very nice, once they're kitted with folders, and magazines theyre pushing 37-40oz. I know a mesa altitude bedded with Hawkins bdl/mag box/follower is 31oz. At least mine is. Every configuration will excel at a few characteristics, but not all. I personally feel the new ultralight folding chassis are the most well rounded, best compromise of all aspects. Kinda a jack of all trades master of none if you would.
XLR Magnesium 8 lbs 7 oz with a mag in it and no optics. About 10 oz heavier than the manners eh1 setup w an adjustable cheek piece. That is on a 300 NMI from Ryan Pierce.

XLR Magnesium 8 lbs 7 oz with a mag in it and no optics. About 10 oz heavier than the manners eh1 setup w an adjustable cheek piece. That is on a 300 NMI from Ryan Pierce.
I've found similar results. Eliminating the folder saves weight, but reduces the portability/purpose driven use of that particular chassis.

A large part of an after market stock or chassis is how it fits you. I had a chassis in the past that didn't shoot well because I was never comfortable behind it. Adjustments help to a degree, but I would prioritize holding one in person first.

I have successfully used both styles for both hunting and PRS competition. While it really comes down to personal preference, either will get the job done. I prefer a chassis for PRS because of the variety of different staged positions and the easy modifications to adapt. For hunting, I prefer a conventional stock. To me, they are easier to carry, less awkward in shape, and better suited to the LA hunting carriages. While hunting, my rifles are carried much more then shot, and, far fewer different shooting positions are encountered.
My Milspec Rem 700. Same action shown on a McMillan and MPA LW
A7D74D35-A0D0-45F0-9231-48063C0D7D44.jpeg
759F09D9-FD6D-4E89-9207-33CA95234CA4.jpeg
[

In my shooting "career", I've have owned several of the aftermarket stocks, with, and without blocks. And the one that I've had the best luck with, is the HS precision. There is one caveat to that selection. The last Sendero I bought, was in 300 RUM. Well, that model came with the raised palm swell, and on recoil, the knurled bolt would scrape across my index finger, and would take a chunk out of it. I prefer the old style HS, over the new. I have two old styles now, and they fit my hand a lot better. It dosent help having mechanics hands. I haven't gotten around to skim bedding the two I have now. I skim bedded my 7STW Sendero years ago, and it absolutely made a difference. As stated earlier in this thread, the tolerances are very close, but when you skim bed, you instantly see the voids that were present. My nod goes to the HS. This is, as everything else, a very personal choice, sometimes price governs. Good luck in your venture. A lot of great choices out there. Dont overlook the laminates. Stockys has some great ones. The Bobby Harts are exceptional. Some come with blocks as well. Have fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts