Your thoughts on a quality stock or a chassis?

Outfall

What are your thoughts on deciding between a quality stock such as a mcmillan, H&S or one of the many or a quality chassis. Pros and cons? I am not worried of weight, just want the best possible accuracy. Not much more than a bipod and scope so no real need for accessories or ability to mount them.

I have both and I can't say one or the other enhances accuracy. With that said, chassis stocks provide better fitting in most cases because of the various positions the stock can be adjusted. However, if your not too picky on fit for various shooting positions then the non-chassis will be just fine.

I know some will disagree, but you will get the most accuracy from a "professionally" bedded stock such as McMillan, Manners, etc. I do have guns with a chassis that will shoot small groups, most of the time, but if you want the best consistency go with a bedded stock. If it is a truly good bedding job you will be able to remove and remount the barreled action with no change in POI. With a chassis that is hit or miss.

I know some will disagree, but you will get the most accuracy from a "professionally" bedded stock such as McMillan, Manners, etc. I do have guns with a chassis that will shoot small groups, most of the time, but if you want the best consistency go with a bedded stock. If it is a truly good bedding job you will be able to remove and remount the barreled action with no change in POI. With a chassis that is hit or miss.
Your correct I respectfully disagree. I can remove either actions from either stock and reassemble with no change. I guess I am lucky.

I am running an XLR Magnesium
I'll have to try one of those. Some have been great and others not so good. I'm also splitting hairs because I'm talking the difference between .3-.4 to .1-.2" groups. I have a 6BR with an MPA Matrix chassis that shoots amazing groups and will do the same when removing and reinstalling the barreled action but the POI will change slightly at 100 yards.

For the OP, a good chassis is the most versatile. You can easily change out barreled actions and you're not stuck with a bedding job for one particular set-up. You should look into something like Rick is running. MPAs are pretty heavy and made more for PRS type stuff.

I have a couple different chassis, Manners, AI and XLR, they all are great, and a bunch of regular stocks McMillan, Manners, HS Precision, Hi-Tech Specialties, and a few others as well as factory stocks. As was already said the adjustability advantage goes to the chassis. A good bedding job will help a traditional stock. Chassis can be bedded too. I was curious with one of my Manners that has their mini-chassis system if I bedded it if it would improve the accuracy......so I bedded it, I didn't see a difference in accuracy and haven't bedded a chassis since. As I was still curious I threw the same barreled action in a McMillan and shot it and then bedded it and shot it again. Groups improved in the McMillian once bedded but were the same between the bedded McMillian and Manners with mini chassis, so My take is a good bedded stock or a chassis are equal and it just comes down to what features and look you prefer.

Can you shoot the difference? Meaning, if one can outshoot the other by a group size difference of .1, can you shoot well enough to take advantage of that difference? If yes, get both and keep the better of the 2. You can always sell the other and recoup most of not all of the cost.

I have both and I can't say one or the other enhances accuracy.
^^^This^^^
I have/use both as well, and I also skim-bed both. Tolerances aren't always 'exact' for either the mounting platform or the action in question.

or one of the many or a quality chassis.

Just a suggestion.....give the McRee's Precision Chassis a good look if you end up leaning towards the chassis platforms. Have fun! 😇

When bedding a barreled action, are you always putting a little pressure on the barrel a few inches from the end of the stock?

Currently have Manners, McMillan, HS Precision and B&C.
I like my HS Precision's, very accurate platforms for how I shoot. I also like my Manners EH1 for my style of shooting and I like my B&C sticks too.
My McMillans are purely F-class stocks and function perfectly for that.
If I had a favourite for how good the rifle shoots, it would be the Manners.
It has different features than the other brands which I like more, cheek riser and different pistol grip.
Can't go wrong with any of them though for function.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts