Your own 1000 plus range?

I have just found 280 acres with one side in excess of one mile and at only $2800 an acre. Most land I have found is $6k per acre. Any interest in a partnership? (south texas)
I am looking into financing and going to look at it next week. Has a 3 bedroom house/double wide and is set up for hunting leases for deer so could make back some of the investment.

Last edited:
How much is the average cost of hunting deer? I dont hunt, so my experience with this is limited to the "777" ranch which is an African game hunting ranch and they charge over $3000 for one deer. I suspect that is much more than the average.

Hunting used to be the exclusive domain of monarch and landed gentry. It looks like it's going towards that way again.

Yep. To buy that property would cost me $3,500 a month. and $135,000 down payment. BUT since it would have an Ag exemption, taxes would be almost nothing. At least, government would not be screwing me. But I will leave it for someone else.

I cant lose sight of the fact that this entire exercise was to provide myself a place to shoot for over a mile a couple of weekends a month. Three quarters of a million dollars is a bit more than I want to spend on recreation. Hey, I could buy a brothel for a lot less and it would have potential for income.

I cant lose sight of the fact that this entire exercise was to provide myself a place to shoot for over a mile a couple of weekends a month. Three quarters of a million dollars is a bit more than I want to spend on recreation. Hey, I could buy a brothel for a lot less and it would have potential for income.
Yeah but you might have to run it by hand till you get on your feet

NO it SUCKS out west, we still have wild Buffalo that will trample you, Tourists that get in the way of the bullets, Tree Huger's that block you for bending over a blade of Grass, there are very few cell phone towers and it's easy to get lost forever because no one to call to help you out. if you aren't prepared for the wild wild west you will surley Die out here alone and hungry. no help within hundreds of miles. Oh and did I mention the BIG Snakes? Millions of them.

No crap! It's terrible out here- you have to tie a rope around your rifle and use rebar to stake it in the ground or else the wind will take it away. When the wind whips from the west I've had to literally turn my body 90 deg depending on shot just to adjust for windage. I use my dope card and sit on a sit 'n spin to make shots. It's just nuts here.

W1zUn8v.png

$70 a year

I feel blessed I can literally hop on my 4 wheeler and be on BLM/Forest land in less than 15 minutes and no paved roads.

I was just told but have not been able to verify it, that in Texas we can shoot along the beach as it is public land. Might have to get there by boat. but thats ok.

I feel your pain being in south Louisiana. We have one place that goes out to 935 that is public. Other than that they have a 1 mile range just outside of Jackson, Mississippi but that's a 3-4 hour drive for me.
Nick there is a 1000 yard range right off I49 in Grand Cane,La. really nice! You might want to check it out. I have shot 50 cal over there.

Where do you live? Out west, there is a ton of BLM land at your disposal. All it takes is a rangefinder and you have the oppurtunity to shoot out to however far you want to really. Granted I wouldnt want to leave my steel targets out there, but you can still set up everything and shoot if you want to. That's what I use to do before I talked a buddy of mine into building a LR shooting range on his ranch. Make friends who own property and ask if you can shoot there, that's another option.

really that's all? i got a few folks i know out that way. never thought about it and always wondered how some folks on youtube manage to shoot out that far

It's awful here in MT. Melrose Long Range. I have to drive a out 15 minutes to get there and they charge a ridiculous amount of money. Cost about $5. Atleast I can get out from 100-2000 yards but the worst part, you have to bring you're own targets and you have to set them up yourself. And a really steep drive to get up there.

Haha. In all seriousness, it's pretty cool. I'm active duty Military and I was stationed in San Antonio for 5 years. In SA I only had a 300yrd range to shoot my .338 Edge and it sucked. Then I got moved to Butte and when I went up to the mountains, I thought it was weird that I could shoot as far as I wanted and nobody would say a thing. Now I'm due to be moved again and will probably get some place like SA or Virginia where LR is nonexistant

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.