Your own 1000 plus range?

yes, BUT we can carry openly and into the capitol and other state buildings. Suppressors, so called "assault rifles", and machine guns are not illegal. We still have our second amendment. And the lack of public lands is actually a result of FREEDOM, the state doesnt control the land, the people do.
But But Jim, where did the freedom go if you cant even find a place to shoot in a big place like that?
Seems to me that a few people got to control the gold mines while the rest got the shaft.
No doubt LBJ had alot to do with all that. lol

Suppressors and ARs arent illegal, you just need the tax stamp...And what would 99% of people really need or even do with a machine gun anyway? Waste ammo? You can have Texas. I have no desire to even visit that state. Sounds like a bunch of old rich guys own the whole state. I mean if you cant find a place to shoot 1K in a state the size of texas, without paying somebody a bunch of money, that sounds like a bunch of garbage, just saying!!

Listen Jim, if you walk up and ask, there will be lots of things you wont be permitted to do.
If were talking public land, then it is in fact our land, and not some dudes who gets paid to tell us what we can and cant do. My advise would be to go on weekends, or holidays, or super bowl kneel day, and just enjoy yoursel

there is no, NONE, federal public land in Texas and all land owners can shoot to kill especially if there are cattle on the land. Dont take Texas Cattlemen lightly!!! And there is a NO firearms rule in Texas

Well Texas sounds like a real peach state...lol

Suppressors and ARs arent illegal, you just need the tax stamp...And what would 99% of people really need or even do with a machine gun anyway? Waste ammo? You can have Texas. I have no desire to even visit that state. Sounds like a bunch of old rich guys own the whole state. I mean if you cant find a place to shoot 1K in a state the size of texas, without paying somebody a bunch of money, that sounds like a bunch of garbage, just saying!!
there are plenty places to shoot as far as you want to you just have to have access to the property myself I can shoot to 450 from my backyard if further is needed I have access to alot of property some with pipelines some with ranges its not an issue and I am glad the federal govt does not own a major portion of this state but each to his own

I can not find a range over 1000 yds within 200 miles of me. Has it ever been discussed that maybe 10 to 20 long range shooters could get together and invest in a plot of land in the desert and make their own range?
If you every get up in the Forth Worth area we have Triple C. They have one range with multiple lanes from 100 to 300 yards you can put paper on. Second range has 16 lanes of steel from 300 to 800 yards with steal every 100 yards. Third range of 16 lanes is 300 to 2000 yards with steel every 100. $48/day or $86/ month. They also have multiple lane sight in range(100 yds.) and a combat pistol course. Between Wheatherford and Cresson off HW 171.

If you every get up in the Forth Worth area we have Triple C. They have one range with multiple lanes from 100 to 300 yards you can put paper on. Second range has 16 lanes of steel from 300 to 800 yards with steal every 100 yards. Third range of 16 lanes is 300 to 2000 yards with steel every 100. $48/day or $86/ month. They also have multiple lane sight in range(100 yds.) and a combat pistol course. Between Wheatherford and Cresson off HW 171.
sounds good. wish it wasnt 400 miles away. But I may get up there some day.

Sounds crazy but almost all of the state is owned. I grew up there. A perfect example is the hog issue. Before farmers would cry to the state to do something about it and allow people to go and kill as many as they wanted for food and such. They still cry to the state but when asked to hunt and kill some to help out guess what. 50, 100, 200 dollars a day to hunt a pig that is supposed to be destroying someone's land. Everyone has gotten greedy now days. My brother used to trap them to help out some of the area farmers and then it got to be well how many you catch you can pay for or how many you shoot. But let me still get my tax right off for destroyed land while I rake it in charging a hunter also. I know it's just business greedy business now days. I think the whole country needs a reset where a school teacher can earn a living and pay for a house while supporting his/her family.

Sounds crazy but almost all of the state is owned. I grew up there. A perfect example is the hog issue. Before farmers would cry to the state to do something about it and allow people to go and kill as many as they wanted for food and such. They still cry to the state but when asked to hunt and kill some to help out guess what. 50, 100, 200 dollars a day to hunt a pig that is supposed to be destroying someone's land. Everyone has gotten greedy now days. My brother used to trap them to help out some of the area farmers and then it got to be well how many you catch you can pay for or how many you shoot. But let me still get my tax right off for destroyed land while I rake it in charging a hunter also. I know it's just business greedy business now days. I think the whole country needs a reset where a school teacher can earn a living and pay for a house while supporting his/her family.
I see both sides of this, as I am a hunter and a landowner. But please look at it from the ranchers eyes. If I charge you $100 a day to shoot pigs, I'm not charging you for the pigs. I'm charging you for access to my land. That $100 goes to cover the cost of repairing the fence that the uncaring hunter cut so he could drag his pig to his truck. It's to cover my labor costs from gathering and sorting cattle when the unconscientious hunter leaves a gate open. It's to cover my costs when the cow picks up, chews on, and chokes to death on the shotgun shells the hunter didn't pick up.

Now, I'm not saying you do these things. And 99% of hunters don't. But I can't tell that from interviewing you, because everyone who wants access to my land claims they don't do these things, yet some of them do. So please understand that there are costs associated with letting hunters have access t your land. They may not be apparent to you, but they are real costs none the less.

By the way, at one point, I kicked every freeloading hunter off my place because the damage they did outweighed the benefits I got from reduced hog numbers. I'm now starting to charge $100 a day, and sometimes I don't think that's nearly enough.

I would pay the 100.00 a day for sure but I've seen some crazy prices; that it would be cheaper to go and buy pork at the store. I guess this is what get me going about it. My parent has a farm in Texas as well not that anyone ever really hunted it cause we don't have any pigs or deer and since they are much older now I don't think they have anymore cattle on it either. My brother has about 6 horses on it now. The mesquites are thick and it probably needs a lot of clearing off.
But whenever we hunted rabbits or any of the likes we had to pick up our shell cases all the time. Fences, that a whole different story with cattle. We had neighbor bulls tear down our fence cause some of our heifers' were in heat and we had not get them moved over to the other side of the place were we kept our bull most of the time. Our bull was pretty tame. We always had Polled Hereford cattle. They are generally pretty mild cattle to deal with.

6-7 months a year we can shoot past 1 mile on our own property... Have steel hung to 1720 so far... Add a few new garage built targets every year.... Biggest problem with it is we really need berms behind every target... Not for safety but to see splash.... This spring/ June.... I will get steel out to over 2500 yards... and add to the .22 range for the grand kids with knock over steel targets...

Saying Texas is nothing but a bunch of old rich guys is like saying Oregon is nothing but mask wearing Antifa looters and arsonist. Give me a break.

You wouldnt be neccesarily wrong if we're talking the valley and the west side of the state, haha. I'm on the good side, so I dont really care what you say about Oregon really. I know its full of a bunch of liberal, rainbow, dildo loving, mask wearing, looting idiots lol. But at least we still have millions of acres to shoot LR without getting raped by a bunch of rich trust fund babys that own the whole state. Don't get to butt hurt over the truth, I'd still rather live in Oregon than Texas anyday. Never met anybody from Texas that I really liked anyway. They always thought they were better than everyone else. I'll be damned if I pay anyone hundreds or thousands of dollars to hunt and shoot. That's just stupid.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.