Xp100 new build ?'s (newb)

bscman

Trying to finalize a parts to start shopping for an upcoming (and first) custom build.

You've mostly talked me out of .338 caliber and my sensible side is leaning 280ai so I can keep the same bolt head and since I have plenty of 7mm components.

Barrel will most likely be from Lilja, although benchmark is local to me.
McMillen stock
Hollands quick discharge brake

What's a good barrel contour compromise that isn't too light, but also not a heavyweight. This is a backpack hunting build for <400yd shooting.

My current hunting XP is a 7mmBR which was rechambered to 7mm-08, so it's a 14.5" with a muzzle diameter of .570 and no brake. It is has a very neutral balance with the Burris scope on top and heavy steel mount and rings. Total pistol weight 5lb 3.3oz.

Thinking either a #4 contour, which puts the muzzle at .650 and roughly 2.8lb for a 17" + brake. That puts me at nearly 6lbs in a factory zytel stock, and I imagine the McMillan fiberglass + bedding is quite a bit heavier than zytel. I'd like to keep it under 6.5lbs if possible.

I'm also wanting to know what everyone prefers in an aftermarket bolt release. I see defiance and anschutz used a lot on the forums, and some other less intricate ones.

Also looking for scope rail recommendations.
Ive used EGW on other rifles, but I also see Murphy, and Ken Farrel. Any others? Thoughts?
Looking for probably 10moa.

Lastly, bipod recommendations?
Leaning javelin pro hunt tac. Does the magnetic catch mechanism work well with pistol recoil?

Thanks again for tolerating my questions.

Last edited:
IMG_1899.jpeg

New McMillan stock = 1 pound and 3.4 ounces

Wow you are quick!
Thx!

Ernie, I've seen you selling these stocks here and there. As of this week I can no longer find them on the McMillan's website.

Have you heard of any upcoming availability issues? Every link I saved comes back 404 Not found

Wow you are quick!
Thx!

Ernie, I've seen you selling these stocks here and there. As of this week I can no longer find them on the McMillan's website.

Have you heard of any upcoming availability issues? Every link I saved comes back 404 Not found
I am a dealer for the XP-100 center-grip McMillan stocks.
I have more than a handful in stock currently.
Solid fill, and inletted for the single-shot XP-100 with dog-leg bolt handle.
IF, you are using a straight bolt handle from like Kiff, you or your smith will possibly need to make slight modifications. To my knowledge no mods have been required yet.
All forends will be opened up for the Varmint/Sendero taper.
IF, you have a smaller taper, your barrel will have more room to breathe.
IF, you need a stock for larger than a Varmint/Sendero taper, then it can opened up to around a Heavy Varmint taper.
All forends will be threaded (T-Nut) for a sling swivel stud. Stud is not included.
I have these colors on hand.
Molded In Marble GAP Ambush
Tan
Molded in Marble 70% Olive and 30% Black
Molded in Vertical Marble 50% Black, 35% Dark Gray, 15% Light Gray

I am a dealer for the XP-100 center-grip McMillan stocks.
I have more than a handful in stock currently.
Solid fill, and inletted for the single-shot XP-100 with dog-leg bolt handle.
IF, you are using a straight bolt handle from like Kiff, you or your smith will possibly need to make slight modifications. To my knowledge no mods have been required yet.
All forends will be opened up for the Varmint/Sendero taper.
IF, you have a smaller taper, your barrel will have more room to breathe.
IF, you need a stock for larger than a Varmint/Sendero taper, then it can opened up to around a Heavy Varmint taper.
All forends will be threaded (T-Nut) for a sling swivel stud. Stud is not included.
I have these colors on hand.
Molded In Marble GAP Ambush
Tan
Molded in Marble 70% Olive and 30% Black
Molded in Vertical Marble 50% Black, 35% Dark Gray, 15% Light Gray
do you have any rear grip stocks?

do you have any rear grips??
Sorry, but No.
I have to order 10 at a time of the same style or type of stock: example - center-grip stock.

I don't even know if they have the old mold that was a sporter style rear grip stock.

As far as I know, they have the rear-grip benchrest stock (3" wide forend with a hatchet bottomed grip) mold still, but I would never get 10 people to order at one time for a specific action.

I use an older javelin bipod. Sometimes the magnet doesn't hold it open on my lightweight 284win. It weight just over 5# so recoil is stout. When it was at its lightest it was under 5#. Shooting 162amax was downright brutal. Worse than any of the other XPs I own. Rather shoot my 7dak, 300rum, 338dak, or 458x2" than that thing! Added some weight back into it to tame it down, also went to lighter bullets.

Wichita made/makes a bolt stop. Nolser/lawton from PTG also works. PTG sucks to deal with though. EGW rails are ok. But if you're looking to shave ounces get a set of talley lightweight rings/base combo for a Rem Model 7 and have another hole tapped in the rear bridge of your action. It'll save 4 or 5 oz pretty easily.

I'd take a lilja over a benchmark.

I use an older javelin bipod. Sometimes the magnet doesn't hold it open on my lightweight 284win. It weight just over 5# so recoil is stout. When it was at its lightest it was under 5#. Shooting 162amax was downright brutal. Worse than any of the other XPs I own. Rather shoot my 7dak, 300rum, 338dak, or 458x2" than that thing! Added some weight back into it to tame it down, also went to lighter bullets.
I assume the .284 didn't have a brake?

What was the barrel length and what kind of velocity were you getting with 140's and 162's?

It has a brake. Can't remember if it is 14 or 15". 142's are 2640fps. Don't remember what the 162s got out of it.

This is what it looks like now. Once I added some weight back into it and stepped down its not bad.

Attachments

• 284win.jpg
    284win.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Killed a few critters with it. When I'm going steep and deep its the gun that goes. But in all honesty I wish it was a 6.5 or 25

Attachments

• 284 goat.jpg
    284 goat.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 284deer.jpg
    284deer.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 284 deer 2.jpg
    284 deer 2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 284 goat 2.jpg
    284 goat 2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 284 4pt.jpg
    284 4pt.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 58
This is on one of my xp's now.
Functional? Yes?
Attractive? No.

I also don't have the greatest confidence that it will hold together in the backcountry. Seems a screw or the spring could come loose rather easily (although it hasn't happened yet). It seems the Wichita you mentioned has a similar bulk and design.

Attachments

• IMG_1019.JPG
    IMG_1019.JPG
    435 KB · Views: 54
Once it is set right, use some blue locktite to keep things correct. I have had Wichita's loosen up on me at times in the past