xp-100r HELP!!

bowstryder

Just picked up an xp100r in .260 with leupy bases and a nice burris scope for a good deal. Got dies anand such on the way. Problem is there is not much on the net about these cool little guns. I am looking for the twist rate and some good load data to get me started. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

To find your actual twist rate take your cleaning rod and run it into the muzzle end of the barrel and push it out the chamber end. Put you a tight patch on a loop and pull it back into the bore a little. Mark you a spot on the cleaning rod right next to the muzzle where the rod is sticking out with a magic marker etc. Then allow the rod to rotate as you pull the rod and tight patch down the bore until your marked spot rotates one complete revolution. Measure between the marked spot on the cleaning rod and the muzzle and that will give you your twist rate. It will most likely be 8" or 9" . If it is 8" you can shoot any bullet weight/length you want but if it is 9" you may not be able to stabilize any 140 gr bullets.

Thanks RT. With so much access to the web i guess i forgot to use some common sense old school techniques. Ill check that when i get home. Anyone with load data is more than welcome to chime in as well.

Try some Sierra 107 SMK match bullets. These have been very accurate for my XP-100R in a 260AI. I also load Hornady 129 SST hunting bullets for this XP. You can contact most bullet manufacturers to speak with a ballistic technician who can steer you in the right direction with load minimums and maximums. I have taken many a big game animal with both of these bullets. good luck and good hunting. MTG

Good info MT. Thats pretty much what i need to figure out. Lighter bullets for varmints and deer loads as well. Whats your setup with AI and what velocities? Thanks again.

I am getting approx. 3050 with the 107 SMK and approx. 2900 with the 129 SST. I load H4350 for both bullets. Then 260 is a very good caliber in the XP-100R configuration. MTG

Wow those are very good numbers even for the AI out of a pistol platform! If you dont mind i would love to see some pics of the xp if you dont mind. Pm me. Thanks again!

Here's my two customs. Both have mag well fillers so set up as single shots.

First is a 6x47L with Shilen 9 twist bbl for shooting 75gr v-maxes. Has a 4oz jewell trigger and shot off a SEB rest.

2nd is a 223 with factory bbl and add-on brake. I've shot 1/2 moa with both. 3/8" with the 6x47 in fact.

Piller bedding is imperative for this gun. That foam stock filling is uber-soft.

IMG_4324.jpg

IMG_4318.jpg

Nomo, thanks for sharing! Good looking rigs. I literally just called my smith about pillar bedding mine. If you dont mind how did you do the webbing paint job on the .223?
I'm still waiting on my components but I shot some hundred and two hundred yard groups with the .260 and was less than satisfied. Come to find out that barrel was so copper fouled it took 2 1/2 solid hours to get it clean..... and i learned you have to firm grip it. After cleaning and working on my grip..... it shoots substantially better. Now pillar bed and hand loads...... i hate being patient. Lol

I actually signed up there a couple days ago. No i dont have a muzzle brake as of now. Gonna do some checking to see what would work best with that pencil sized stick. It was a bit of a surprise how much muzzle flip and blast that lil guy put as i have never owned a bottle neck cartridge pistol before. Not real bad per say. Just noticeable.

Here's my thread over on specialty pistols on bedding the xp-100r stock.

Login To: Specialty Pistols

I bought a $50 brake from the Ross guy in Mountain Home Idaho and had my gunsmith fit it to my .223 for a total of $200 for the project. I don't like the muzzle flip of these guns so prefer to brake them.

My paint was Brownells aluma-hyde2, then the Krylon craft store web then several top coats with the Brownells matt clear aluma-hyde2.

Were I to paint it again I'd just send it off to a pro composite stock painter. The krylon product is incredibly difficult to get a satisfactory result with.

That should be a nice setup for you. The 6.5 107 SMK that MG suggests actually set some sort of long-range record from what i heard somewhere although the BC is not that high. There are a number of great long-range bullets that may very well work out of that 9T barrel. I also shot the SST's out of a couple of 6.5's and they just SHOOT! Actually had a 260 Rem. built for a rancher friend on a Savage Striker and he sent me a pic of the 1st 5-shot 100 yd. group he fired with it using a 2-7x Burris and he covered it with a nickel [129 SST]. That gun has become his favorite hands down.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.