My new gun!!!!! I’m so excited about this, join me! 🤣

I had 450 Ackley pass through my hands a few years ago and it was a ton of fun. I don't think it did anything that a 458 Lott couldn't do, but it was so much cooler looking! I shot a handful of rabbits using reduced loads with Trail Boss and cast bullets just for fun, but the full power stuff never got used on anything except a lot of rocks. I spent a whole summer trying to get consistent hits on a 10" gong at 600 yards. The end result was a bad headache and a bruised shoulder. lol
Your username seems appropriate to this confession 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Funny you mention the Canadian thing…this is honestly about the most shoulder fired horsepower that's legal here now 🙃. The .460 weatherby is explicitly banned, as are all cartridges that exceed 10000 joules or about 7300 foot pounds of muzzle energy. The 450 ackley can do well north of 6000 foot pounds but isn't in that 7k territory yet.

I suppose if I wanted to get as close to the line as possible (legally - nothing really stops anyone from building any kind of wildcat in theory) I could further rechamber this sucker to a 458 RUM but I like the belt!
WTH? Canada regulates how powerful your rifle can be? How's that work? Just off potential of the cartridge or do the Mounties have a portable ballistics lab to test your ammo if they see you have a rifle you can stick your pinky finger into?

WTH? Canada regulates how powerful your rifle can be? How's that work? Just off potential of the cartridge or do the Mounties have a portable ballistics lab to test your ammo if they see you have a rifle you can stick your pinky finger into?
It is indeed idiotic. It hasn't been this way for long and fingers crossed if the conservatives get in a lot of the ridiculous and unconstitutionally imposed gun laws that the libs decreed into power will be scrapped. A lot of this was done without due parliamentary process in the name of COVID making a gathering of government impossible 🙄. Sound familiar?

And yes, it's a 10,000 joule limit on muzzle energy but nothing stops me from building my own rig in a wildcat that exceeds that - it may be illegal but if one were to build, say, a 12 guage from hell type of rig and then claim it's actually only for shooting normal shotshells out of there's little anyone could do to prosecute or accuse. Again, idiotic, inneficient, nonsense.

Furthermore one funny thing in Canadian law…it's jail time if you saw a shotgun barrel down below 18 inches yourself BUT so long as the overall length of the gun is over 26 inches you can buy a factory made shortie with no trouble. No American style tax stamp or anything, I've owned multiple 12 and 14 inch barreled 12 guage guns just for fun, one with a pistol grip and no buttstock even, and it's totally legal and cheap too. But the weatherby mark V in 460 wby is on a list of prohibited weapons now. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wanna make a chart comparing how many liquor stores have been held up with short barrel shotguns vs weatherby safari rifles……🤣

But of course these laws have NOTHING to do with making Canadians safer or curtailing crime….and they certainly don't accomplish those things either.

Sounds like shoulder surgery waiting to happen 🤔. My hunting buddy did buy a few big bore guns on here that I haven't had the time to shoot. A 375rum,338rum,and the 458 Lott. He's into the big boomer stuff. I'm into helping spend his money. So when I see something cool I send it to him and poke the bear in hopes he bites so I get to shoot them.There is nothing like shooting a big bore !
My shoulders are fairly beefy haha…but my eyes suck. I have no concern about my shoulders being able to take a beating BUT….i have heard horror stories about severe recoil and retinal detachment 😱.

Next time I'm at the gym I'll have to ask how one goes about lifting weights with their eyeballs so as to strengthen them 🤣🥴

UPDATE! I shot the beast this evening….and am a little underwhelmed to be honest. I was hoping for more punishment 🤪. That muzzle brake and recoil pad sure do work….i honestly didn't find this punishing at all. Also need to move to a faster burning powder as it was not possible to fit enough H380 in the case to hit pressure.

480 grain woodleigh weldcores, started at 88 grains h380 and went all to way up to 100 grains very heavily compressed. So heavily compressed the case must have bulged as it wasn't possible to chamber the 100 grain load. The 99 grain load chambered though, and was doing 2350 fps or so. Very mild pressure. Very easy extraction and bolt lift, very rounded edges on the primer and around the firing pin dent.

We can go harder than this for sure. Now I know I need to buy the 550 grain woodleighs I saw somewhere….like I actually CRAVE recoil more than what this sweetheart of a rifle has hit me with so far. HIT ME LIKE YOU MEAN TO HURT ME!!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤪🤪🤪🤪🥴🥴🥴🥴

UPDATE! I shot the beast this evening….and am a little underwhelmed to be honest. I was hoping for more punishment 🤪. That muzzle brake and recoil pad sure do work….i honestly didn't find this punishing at all. Also need to move to a faster burning powder as it was not possible to fit enough H380 in the case to hit pressure.

480 grain woodleigh weldcores, started at 88 grains h380 and went all to way up to 100 grains very heavily compressed. So heavily compressed the case must have bulged as it wasn't possible to chamber the 100 grain load. The 99 grain load chambered though, and was doing 2350 fps or so. Very mild pressure. Very easy extraction and bolt lift, very rounded edges on the primer and around the firing pin dent.

We can go harder than this for sure. Now I know I need to buy the 550 grain woodleighs I saw somewhere….like I actually CRAVE recoil more than what this sweetheart of a rifle has hit me with so far. HIT ME LIKE YOU MEAN TO HURT ME!!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤪🤪🤪🤪🥴🥴🥴🥴
Just remove the brake and shoot a few groups, that'll solve your problem.