Wyoming Thorofare Elk Hunt

One thing to remember is if you are going in on the Deer Creek Trail be sure you know which days the guides set as going in days or going out days as some of the trails are very narrow and you don't want to be going the wrong way and meet someone with a pack train.

Some pictures of pack trains going in this area has a lot of room.

Attachments

• Elk Hunt 2008 022.jpg
    Elk Hunt 2008 022.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Elk Hunt 2008 016.jpg
    Elk Hunt 2008 016.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 139
  • Elk Hunt 2008 019.jpg
    Elk Hunt 2008 019.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 144
I hope we all draw area 64 late. I saw lots of nice bulls there last year but had to cut my hunt short due to my wifes grandmother passing away. I passed on lots of bulls and passed on one shot because I wasn't trusting my rangefinder on the 800 yard shot at a 330+ bull. I will be ready this year, I sure hope I get the tag.

I hope we all draw area 64 late. I saw lots of nice bulls there last year but had to cut my hunt short due to my wifes grandmother passing away. I passed on lots of bulls and passed on one shot because I wasn't trusting my rangefinder on the 800 yard shot at a 330+ bull. I will be ready this year, I sure hope I get the tag.

what would something like this cost
A full guided trip runs $5750.00 plus $591.00 for license $10.00 for consveration stamp. (Hidden Creek Outfitters)
LTLR is offering a great deal for just renting him horses. He would have to tell you the rates or (wyominghorses.net) rents horses and equipment. Need a least two horses per hunter and proper tack to do hunt. I am guessing you should get by for about $2000.00 but just a guess.

Last edited:
Ok, I've had enough about the thorofare on the other threads. I was telling my wife about it today and she said your not getting any younger and need to go back.

Just to see if anyone is interested in a hunt in there. I will swap my knowledge and expertise of the area for a horse. I have a friend who will rent me the horses and I can arrange the hunt. I can pick guys up at the airport or meet you in a vehicle. Have the horses ready at the trailhead ready for the hunt. A group chips in and rents me a horse and I will carry you in there. We all share the camp chores. It is as remote and beautiful a wilderness as anywhere you will ever see. We can hunt elk with a rifle during the rut. I am as good a caller as there is anywhere guaranteed. I am confident we will see elk and have a good time if you love true wilderness. It is very remote and you can not have a fear of grizzlies which you probably will see. They have actually learned to come out of the park to this area to feast on hunter kills. I have hunted grizzly country for thirty years and never had a problem but obviously some people do get ate every year. Typically they are doing something they shouldn't.

If enough people are interested I am not against doing two groups. I love being in that country. If a group wanted I will take you through the entire country from the Cody side and bring you out below the south entrance of Yellowstone if you want the trip of your life. My wife will not mind a trip to Coldwater creek and the cowboy bar in jackson to bring the trailer over and pick us up. You will need to pay her diesel though. Fishing in there can be good. There are good places to hunt all through there.

The late Gordon Eastman (Mike's Dad) showed me the country many years ago. He guided that country in the 60's and knew all that country around Jackson well including the Gros Ventre country and many others. He was the first guy I know of that brought wolves to NW Wyoming. But he kept his in a pen. I have hunted all through there mostly out of a backpack when I was younger. I have gone in Deer creek and came out Pacific creek on the other side more than once. Probably 50 miles through there.

Non-residents need a general elk license by application. Your odds are good without a point. Usually you can spot a bull in there in the 300 class. Big 370 class bulls come out of there every year. Not many places that do not require a lot of points you can say that about. I am not concerned about anyone finding my spots because I am getting to old to hunt it much anymore and really just want to get in there one more time. Why, Like Gus on Lonesome Dove said, "because it's there". Also the fact that it is something you have got to do once to see this country and nobody is crazy enough to go back and do it again except true wilderness guys like me. To my knowledge it is the largest wilderness in the US outside of Alaska. Plenty of room to park your mule in that country.

If anyone is interested PM me and I can answer any of your questions and see if we can work it out.

I might be interested, I thought you had to hunt with a guild in wilderness area's if you were a non resident though. hunted out of Jarden in the hell roaring basin a few years ago and had a friend kill a 400 class bull in the sun lite basin. this would be for 2012 right? Let me know

Because of wolves and grizzlies we have decided not to do this hunt. It would be a glorified pack/camping trip more than a hunt. Beautiful wild country but there are many better places to go on an elk hunt now. The wolves have just hammered all the elk around the Yellowstone area and put numerous outfitters out of business, others are just hanging on. Also the severe overpopulation of grizzlies are destroying the elk calf crop. Plus they are causing far to many problems with campers and hikers. We now have generations of tame park bears now with no fear of humans and that creates a very dangerous situation. We need controled hunting desperately not only to control this overpopulation of grizzlies but also to give them a fear of man again so they are not so bold. Unprovoked attacks of bears on hikers and hunters the past few years are proof of that. They now consider humans more meat in the hills since they have no fear and we are easy prey.

Several human deaths and attacks within the yellowstone ecosystem the past few years prove this point. What bothers me is how they are covered up from the national press. It amazed me that after several fatal bear attacks in yellowstone this year the media bought the press release by the park these were the first in decades. Have they forgotten last year already?

Not sure if I am too late, but would be interested in discussing this more. I enjoy on my own hunting and always looking for new places to go that can offer a fun hunt.

Let me know if the offer still stands.

I can't speak for ltlr but I don't think he is planning to do this hunt again due to the elk numbers being way down to almost non existent in that area because of the wolves.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.