• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED WTB Savage large shank action

Yep, you are right. It is only 8% larger in dameter.

I was talking about area. The Lapua is 18% larger in surface area.

I have no reason to doubt the thrust numbers on Wiki.

It still shows that there is more thrust in the Lapua over the RUM. Enough that it made the Savage engineers give it a special action with a special heat treat.

How do you know what the safety margin is in the WSM?

Run the numbers with the 300 Lapua, its the same case as the 338 just a different bullet diameter. lightbulb

How do you know that the Lapua bolt head isn't heat treated differently as well?

Yep, you are right. It is only 8% larger in dameter.

I was talking about area. The Lapua is 18% larger in surface area.

I have no reason to doubt the thrust numbers on Wiki.

It still shows that there is more thrust in the Lapua over the RUM. Enough that it made the Savage engineers give it a special action with a special heat treat.

How do you know what the safety margin is in the WSM?

Run the numbers with the 300 Lapua, its the same case as the 338 just a different bullet diameter. lightbulb

How do you know that the Lapua bolt head isn't heat treated differently as well?

And who at savage confirmed that the actions were specifically heat treated for the lapua? Other than internet heresay.

Pressure of the cartridge plays a role in bolt thrust not bullet caliber.

If the bolt head was specifically heat treated why isn't anyone saying it is besides just the action. The lugs take all of the bult thrust before the action.
I am not saying the action isn't heat treated differently but have my doubts.
There have been plenty of smiths out there that have done the lapua on a 700 action and those aren't anything different than factory run actions.

The information comes from Fred Moreo of SSS. He gets regular access to Savage and their engineers. I'm not a fan of his or his business, but he knows what he is talking about.

You were the one that brought up the topic of the bolt heads. I've offered no opinion other than agreeing that they transfer the load to the abutments. I have no idea what alloy they are made of, or how they are heat treated.

My point of the pointing out the 300 Lapua is that in your Wiki link, they were running a lot larger max pressure than the 338. With that pressure and the same rim diameter as the 338 it generates even more thrust over the 300wsm numbers.

What plenty of smiths do is a completely different conversation.

The information comes from Fred Moreo of SSS. He gets regular access to Savage and their engineers. I'm not a fan of his or his business, but he knows what he is talking about.

You were the one that brought up the topic of the bolt heads. I've offered no opinion other than agreeing that they transfer the load to the abutments. I have no idea what alloy they are made of, or how they are heat treated.

My point of the pointing out the 300 Lapua is that in your Wiki link, they were running a lot larger max pressure than the 338. With that pressure and the same rim diameter as the 338 it generates even more thrust over the 300wsm numbers.

What plenty of smiths do is a completely different conversation.

Mr Grinder, you said a mouth full.