• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED WTB Savage large shank action

yotekilla250

I am in the market for a savage large shank action. Looking to build a .338 lapua. Please pm me with what you have and price.

Thanks
Brad

I had an idea of what I wanted to build, but for the right price I might be interested.

Whats the difference?
The size of lugs on my wsm action are the same size as the lugs on the 112
Only difference is the 112 bolt face is opened up

Small shank barrels are closer to 1.060, large shank closer to 1.130" in diameter.

Large shanks are most commonly found on the WSM's, and on Precision Target Actions.

I am looking for a savage large shank action to build a custom. 338 lapua. Does this make sense?

What I have read on other forums like savage shooters is that the lapua action is different. I can't verify its just what ive read. They say it's hardened differently to handle increase pressure from the lapua. My guess is that's what he is referring to

What I have read on other forums like savage shooters is that the lapua action is different. I can't verify its just what ive read. They say it's hardened differently to handle increase pressure from the lapua. My guess is that's what he is referring to

Yes, the heat treating is different in the Lapua actions to handle the higher loads put on the abutments.

The other large shank long actions did not get this heat treat. The other actions would be the current production 375 Ruger's and the discontinued RUM actions.

I was looking to do the same thing, I have a SS 375 Ruger action 116 i believe and was told, found the same information. So I will NOT be building that, But the 338 NORMA or other options.

The big mags- Norma, Lapua, Weatherby all run at the same pressure and have the same head diameter.

The Lapua action is the only Savage action that was designed to handle those pressures. Even then, many consider it marginal.