Woman trampled to death by an elk in Arizona

I was in an RV park in Anchorage and a black bear meanders thru and grabs a couple steaks off the grill across the driveway from us. He was like ....got anymore of them steaks? The people had no clue what happened to their food and couldn't believe a bear would be in the middle of town.

Hubris and stupidity coupled with normalcy bias can lead to disastrous results.

About 20 years ago, I was living and working in the 4 Corners area of CO, and the area is well known for its high mountain lion population. Highest in the country I believe. Although there were posted warnings, as is usual for many tourists to Mesa Verde NP, a family was walking down a narrow trail that had fairly thick scrub oak on either side, and not having a care in the world to the wilds around them, they let their 5 year old go running down the trail several yards in front of them. Suddenly, a brown streak sprung out of the scrub and across the trail, and in that instant, the 5 year old was gone. Later, he was found deceased and hidden under a log.

Personally, I have had run in with bull elk during the September rut, and if not for a very large pine tree between us, I may have been his trophy to display. Of all the times to be holding a camera instead of my bow!