Wolf scoreboard.

If they ate a couple treehuggers Rotweillers then there might be a new World Record! Don't question the man as if he's cryin "Wolf" on us now...

lol

just kidding!

Don't forget Idaho has season left! Currently at 292. 221 hunting 71 trapping. The Panhandle and Dworshak keep swapping punches for the title with the Panhandle in the lead 52-51. Trapping seems to be picking up, hope you guys got all the bugs worked out and post a tremendous finish!gun)

Idaho keeps grinding a few out as the season winds down. Some persistent folks still at it. 233 hunters, 88 trappers, and the Game department gets back in the game with 14. Evidently they flew the Lolo unit for 3 days, at a cost of $22,500. That comes to $1607 per wolf, and puts the unit kill at 42 (counting 6 from last spring) which is within their stated goal of removing 40-50.
As the unit is reported to have 75-100 wolves, and some transients coming across the border from Montana it's a decent start. So the total is at 321 not counting the Game Department kills.

Last edited:
Idaho keeps grinding a few out as the season winds down. Some persistent folks still at it. 233 hunters, 88 trappers, and the Game department gets back in the game with 14. Evidently they flew the Lolo unit for 3 days, at a cost of $22,500. That comes to $1607 per wolf, and puts the unit kill at 42 (counting 6 from last spring) which is within their stated goal of removing 40-50.
As the unit is reported to have 75-100 wolves, and some transients coming across the border from Montana it's a decent start. So the total is at 321 not counting the Game Department kills.

Thanks, for keeping up on the numbers, HARPERC.

I'm currently watching the DVD movie: 'Yellowstone is Dead': Yellowstone is Dead — Yellowstone is Dead © copyright 2011

Not as easy to understand, for the uninitiated, as the DVD movie 'Crying Wolf', (Crying Wolf) but valuable info, nonetheless.

Gonna attempt to increase the numbers Wednesday. Son in law is goin' stealheadin' on the North Fork. Gonna tag along. I'm in squat shape for ready though. Have nothing tuned and ready to go. Been gone way too long......

Will be my first scouting trip for 2012.

Idaho wolfers continue moving the ball forward, Hunters 240-Trappers break 100 (101) for a total 341. Trappers are coming on and have exceeded the rifle hunter totals in, the Panhandle, Lolo, the Selway. With 35 in the Panhandle someone has figured out something. Hopefully, they have some apprentices that will expand into some of the units that don't appear to have trappers. I think it brings home the point, to manage wolf numbers all the tools are needed.
My dream continues of seeing all of these trophies hanging from Cabelas ridge beam, for some kind of contest. Spokane's Bighorn Show is 2 weeks out I hope you Idaho guys, bring as many as you can for display.

Idaho hunters at 243, and trappers 104 for a total of 347. I continue to be pleasantly surprised, as I did not believe the season would withstand political pressure. Sometimes it's nice to be proven wrong! I read the rules, and trappers are allowed 3, but it appears they can additionally use their 2 hunting tags for a total of 5. Anybody know if I'm reading that correctly?

Last edited:
That's good news. Time will tell if it really makes any difference to the ungulate population. Hopefully Montana will follow suit and have a system more like Idaho.

That's good news. Time will tell if it really makes any difference to the ungulate population. Hopefully Montana will follow suit and have a system more like Idaho.
I hope it makes a difference for all the prey species, for me it's just good to see hunters in the game. The MT FWP calling for more control of all predators. Utah, and Oregon moving forward, making predator control a portion of their efforts to improve Mule Deer herds. Idaho continuing to demonstrate resolve managing the wolf. The other side has put up a lot of uncontested points, so it's good to see some old school conservation principles back in the conversation..

When you look back 3 or 4 years, this season is fantastic. We need to be thankful for the opportunity to get our herds, and wildlands back in a managable balance. Good news all around. I assume you all saw Wyomings plan was signed by the governer this week.

When you look back 3 or 4 years, this season is fantastic. We need to be thankful for the opportunity to get our herds, and wildlands back in a managable balance. Good news all around. I assume you all saw Wyomings plan was signed by the governer this week.

I did see WY governor signed the plan-any guesses on how long before the project is shovel ready as they say.LOL.
Idaho hunters 244, and trappers 109 for 353 total, The Idaho governor has asked for more federal funds, and has pretty well been rejected. It might be an opportune time for some of you Idaho residents to mention to your elected officials, to inquire about the Pittman-Robertson funds hijacked to bring you these critters.
It brought a smile to my face hearing Otter ask when's the last time anyone came to Idaho to see a wolf. Got to love election years.

Last edited:
Season should have been continued in MT, AND TRAPPING USED.I put in 15 solid days, wolf only, and the era hard to catch up with. Population up 15% ***

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.