Wolf Meeting in Kalispell

The best local guy I know is super fit,40 and hikes pretty much all time in real tough country.He takes sled and finds fresh sign,then tries to get around when they make kill,he also has a pull sled sometimes and he basically tracks them down at high speed in snow shoes,most time it 7+ miles before he catches them.Im getting little old for that.I run lot roads in my jeep for sign,there in bottoms this time year,heard one behind work this week.This guy has shot 14

You have to kill 35% a year for no growth.hers anotherthing F&G doesnt want to kill the golden goose.This is off F&G executive wolf summary for 2016,wolf license sales have generated over $2.75 million for wolf management and monitoring since 2009.YOU should see the wolf map for Nrockie gray wolf pop.320 packs ,west 1/2 of MT covered,ID totally covered

Yeah, they say it's only the west half but they have been shot recently 40 miles east of Billings AND by Glasgow. They only ADMIT they are in the western half!

I hear ya on the fit thing! Ten years ago maybe, not today! I run the roads, then snowshoe but I'm slow on dry pavement in sneakers- I aint likely to catch a wolf in the snow! Still gotta try, tho.

I see used sleds for around $2k. Thinking I may need to pull the trigger so I can pull one on a big dog.

Just straight up wolf hunting is a challenge, smoking one while hunting just happened but after season tracking down and calling or spot and stalking a wolf pack, or waiting them out and patterning them them is s serious commitment of time and money, we used to hunt them harder but the economics of it has made it very hard to put in the time to be consistently sucessful.

I wasn't thinking so much of running them down, as much as just cutting tracks and probably snowshoe from there. Right now, I'm just kind of shooting from the hip and finding it tough to even find their tracks.
I do live in a relatively low density area, but I'd like to keep it that way.
There was a big black one video taped on the road and later shot last spring that was near here.
I've heard of other packs, as well, but have had a hard time finding them.

Bigngreen,Thats what I mean this guy is a beast,he has high mtn muleys for last ten years in my area,and yes he runs them down,finds fresh kill,or get on fresh tracks after snow.He tagged out this year with his bow and shot large cat last week and got 2 wolfs so far.Not at all a what a average hunter can do. And of course there are guys that use snowcats...In todays paper Washington researcher spent 2 yrs and says there are more wolfs using scat sniffing dogs,than F&G claims.Daily Interlake pg A5

Bigngreen,Thats what I mean this guy is a beast,he has high mtn muleys for last ten years in my area,and yes he runs them down,finds fresh kill,or get on fresh tracks after snow.He tagged out this year with his bow and shot large cat last week and got 2 wolfs so far.Not at all a what a average hunter can do. And of course there are guys that use snowcats...In todays paper Washington researcher spent 2 yrs and says there are more wolfs using scat sniffing dogs,than F&G claims.Daily Interlake pg A5
I think I know of who you speak.
Are you over in the Kootenai area by chance?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.