Wife's First Hog!

CaptnC

Well, that's not exactly true. She has killed two other hogs but we didn't recover them until later. One was her fault...Bullet hit midship. It ran about 80 yards, but didn't leave a drop of blood. The second was my fault. I had loaded her 6.5 Creedmoor with 130gr Berger OTM Hybrids...I had it in my mind that "Hybrid" meant hunting and target. We lost a spike buck and that hog for lack of a blood trail with same bullert. I recovered the bullet from the spike but not the one on the hog.

Any way back to hunting with the 6.5 Grendel; being new to the Grendel I have been hesitant to let her use it on anything meaningful like her big buck that she had shot earlier in the season. But after my bang/flop Doe a couple weeks ago, I felt the little 6.5 is going to do just fine.

So this weekend her Creedmoor stayed in the case (I had been carrying both, just incase something big showed up).

Our lease in Comanche Texas (north central Texas) doesn't have predictable hogs. So far they have all came in after legal shooting time for game animals. My 6.5 Grendel hog was tough to get on in the dark, but I got it done. My wife is in her second year of hunting, having never been exposed to it before. So the low light hyper active hogs have been a challenge!

So I tried a trick I've used on coastal hogs and sure enough it worked. After only one treatment the 100 plus a few pounds, Boar hog makes our feeder home, mornings and evenings according to my game camera. And Saturday afternoon he shows up like he had an alarm clock set at 5:15pm.

We had driven to the lease Saturday morning with ample time to make the afternoon hunt. My wife has been sick last last couple days and almost doesn't go. But, if she goes to sleep she doesn't cough, so she had dozed off. I broke her slumber with these words "Baby...there's a pig!". It was crazy how quickly she sprang to action! I had to remind her to put on her ear muffs! As she is putting the on she ask where he was, I said "headed for the feeder".

As soon as he stepped under the feeder the little 6.5 barked and he was DRT! I had told her before to be ready incase one tries to get up. I reminder her about that and as he was kicking she puts a "quality assurance shot" in him....I said "why did you do that?". Her reply "you said get ready"...so we laughed and did the high fives and went to get some pictures for it got dark!

120gr Speer Gold Dot running 2400fps blew out both lungs and took out about three vertebrae. The QAS was not necessary!

2018-12-23 21.06.59.jpg

20181222_173452.jpg

Btw
What was the "Hog Trick"
That worked???
Surprised it took this long for someone to ask! LOL

I did the "corn in a hole" trick.

The original plans call for using a post hole digger, but all I had was a sharp shooter (long narrow shovel, not sure if everyone calls them a sharp shooter). I dug a hole deep enough to hold a 50lb bag of corn. After filling the hole with corn, I added strawberry powdered jello mix, then a 2 liter bottle of strawberry soda.

The smell was so strong I could smell the strawberry 75 yards away in our box stand.

Any way, I made the hole on the 11th of December. The boar hog was there almost every morning and every afternoon until the afternoon my wife shot him on the 22nd of December.

The hogs on our small lease are very nocturnal so it was a huge change in this hogs daily pattern.

Oh...I also added milo to our corn feeder. That is another super trick to bring hogs into a feeder. Milo is too small for a deer to pick up but hog will eat every little kernel, plus it takes them a long time to find it all.

In our area it is very rare to see hogs doing this...date and time are correct in the pic. Yes that is my wife's hog a few days before they met!
Screenshot_2018-12-22-21-09-34.png

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.